ScubaPro HUD (new computer on the market)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might be a good idea for them if SP offered straightforward Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF on some of their computers, at least as an option

Yes, I would be seriously looking at the G-2 wrist if it did that.

And drilling the mask! Even worse. Now, risk of leaks/cracking etc. And I have an expensive corrective lens . . . . No, thanks!

Actually I’ve seen it on a Frameless one panel mask. It takes a drill and some drilling).
Was it the lens or the not-a-frame lens-frame/skirt that it was drilled for attachment?

I wonder if one if it would mount easily to one of the go-pro mount masks.

Was it the lens or the not-a-frame lens-frame/skirt that it was drilled for attachment?

I wonder if one if it would mount easily to one of the go-pro mount masks.

Lens was drilled. Will not work with GP mount.

Not an oversight. It was custom-made for the US Navy. It fits quite well on most two pane masks. I guess that when you’re paying $maximum for this doodad, getting a new mask is not a big deal.

I want to not like it, but in reality I know I will buy one. Its new, its 'heads up display". My LDS have one coming in for demo in the next few weeks so I will reserve final judgement until then. I do agree my mask does take a battering and having my computer on my mask does add risk of damage or loss whereas my G2 stays safe on my arm and still looks as good as new nearly 200 dives later. But, a "heads up display" sounds very cool.. I think I may need this in my life.

Shame about the lack of the chest monitor information.

I assume this is compatible with bluetooth and log track on your smart phone?.

Not an oversight. It was custom-made for the US Navy. -snip-
Should have said "lack of imagination" or "failure of engineering for optimal marketplace penetration" or "boneheaded" ...
Why did they use a custom design that is very similar, but incompatible, to a common, effectively standard/open solution. Maybe there was some compelling mechanical or geometry reason that is not immediately apparent, at least to me. The mask-frame mount does strike me as a ghetto-elegant design, and solves the 2-window issue, but the zip-ties do seem a bit half-assed for a $1k+++ product. Regardless of cost factor, mask fit can be difficult for some of us ...

OTOH, I wonder if that means there is a ready solution for the KM M-48 Mod 1s? I thought that the combat swimmers were using them.

KM M-48s are on my "try" list. I wouldn't think the HUD would be at all noticeable on one of them.

Should have said "lack of imagination" or "failure of engineering for optimal marketplace penetration" or "boneheaded" ...
Why did they use a custom design that is very similar, but incompatible, to a common, effectively standard/open solution. Maybe there was some compelling mechanical or geometry reason that is not immediately apparent, at least to me. The mask-frame mount does strike me as a ghetto-elegant design, and solves the 2-window issue, but the zip-ties do seem a bit half-assed for a $1k+++ product. Regardless of cost factor, mask fit can be difficult for some of us ...

OTOH, I wonder if that means there is a ready solution for the KM M-48 Mod 1s? I thought that the combat swimmers were using them.

KM M-48s are on my "try" list. I wouldn't think the HUD would be at all noticeable on one of them.

The mod1 mask is double window, if tridacna is correct then the computer might have been designed to fit it. Even with that I would still buy a shearwater and fab a bracket to attach it to the side of the mod1 mask.

The mod1 mask is double window, if tridacna is correct then the computer might have been designed to fit it. Even with that I would still buy a shearwater and fab a bracket to attach it to the side of the mod1 mask.

You'ld probably have to look at the Mod 1 and the HUD mount (or manual), but the short story is that the upper strap mount on the Mod 1 is right where the HUD mount goes and looks like the two would interfere. That upper strap mount outer section looks like it just screws in place, so it may be very easy to replace with one that has a HUD mounting ring.

Thought about mounting the NERD 2 to the Mod 1, but along the top of the frame.

Dowside of the NERD 2 is that it sticks out way more, will be harder to transfer if diving a standard mask (assuming reg-mounting is undesireable) and will cost significantly more with a transmitter.

I think that the optimal HUD would have the guts (battery, processing, & controls) in a streamlined housing attached to the mask strap and only a small display unit attached to the lens/frame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom