Why a mask with black skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olddiver1950

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving for 20 years but always used a mask with a clear skirt. actually I've only had two masks. So, I'm considering a new mask and I am wondering what is the benefit to a black skirt on a mask? Seems to me a clear skirt lets in more light and makes the dive brighter. But I could be wrong. Advice??

Black is the color of choice for a New Yorker....but it also won’t turn yellowish like the clear ones do and they resist the reflection on too much light....me, I have four black masks...

I only use black skirt masks because I find with a clear skirt I get glare on the inside of the lens and end up looking at the reflection of my eyes.

In shallower, brighter water, a black skirt will help your vision by cutting down on some ambient light from the sides and allow your eyes to adjust to what is in front of you. Like shading your eyes on a sunny day. Difficulty seeing the LCD screen on your camera in shallow water? Try a black skirt mask. It helps.

I've recently switched from a black skirt to clear silicone after 23 years of black.

From what I've noticed:

Black:
Sunshade = less glare
Tunnel = less peripheral distractions
Durable = won't yellow
Ambient light blocker = better low light sensitivity (theoretically)

Clear:
Brighter = feels sunny and comforting
Wider peripheral = can see shapes reflected in the skirt (see my reg through the nose pocket and a buddy almost directly behind me)
Clear = Friendly looking.

I'm eyeing the https://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm as my next longterm mask... Likely will get it in black.

Perhaps @MAKO Spearguns could weigh in on why black/solid masks are most popular?

Cameron

A clear skirt allows light to hit the lens from your eye's side of the glass, while a black skirt obviously does not. It is an unescapable optical fact that some portion of the light hitting from your eye's side will be reflected back to your eye, reducing contrast in your view of what's on the other side of the glass. As mentioned above, this effect is most evident in shallow, bright conditions.

I've recently switched from a black skirt to clear silicone after 23 years of black.

From what I've noticed:

Black:
Sunshade = less glare
Tunnel = less peripheral distractions
Durable = won't yellow
Ambient light blocker = better low light sensitivity (theoretically)

Clear:
Brighter = feels sunny and comforting
Wider peripheral = can see shapes reflected in the skirt (see my reg through the nose pocket and a buddy almost directly behind me)
Clear = Friendly looking.

I'm eyeing the https://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm as my next longterm mask... Likely will get it in black. Perhaps @MAKO Spearguns could weigh in on why black/solid masks are most popular?

Cameron

We are offering the mask in three different colors but all of them have an opaque skirt, so they probably function the same as black. Spearfisherman select black (or opaque) skirts by a huge margin and we are trying to provide products that are in high demand. In a scenario where a freediver is going from the well lit surface to a depth and then trying to look under a ledge or in a shaded area, it is very beneficial to not have any extraneous light affecting their ability to see into a dimly lit area.

We often hear that people feel that a clear skirt allowing light in from the sides gives them a less constricted feeling. The clear skirt is giving some awarness of what is happening below them and to the sides. However, for example, our Minimus mask (as mentioned above) has such a low volume and the glass is placed so close to the eyes, that peripheral vision is excellent. There is very little (or no) feeling of being "boxed in" by a black skirt - simply because you can't see it when looking forward.

I know that some underwater photographers prefer their models to use a clear skirt because it allows ambient (and artificial light) to enter from the side and help illuminate the subject's eyes and face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom