Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious minds (me) want to know what @seashepherd is going to get! :)
Haha, me too, outofofficebrb, I’ll probably rent for my next few dives, and then eventually get a Shearwater Perdix. So many supporters can’t all be wrong, and I like the simple layout and screen technology. At least with a Perdix, if I find that for some reason I don’t like it, I can easily resell it.

What exactly is the point of pushing recreational divers to buy the highest end technical dive computer? Technical diving computers enable divers to make some very serious decompression decisions. They will ask you what type of algorithm you plan on diving? To make that decision you need to know short comings of bubble models and assumptions behind dissolved gas models. Once you have chosen that you would like to dive a particular algorithm, they may ask you what sort of gradient factors you will use? To program those, you need to know what were the short comings in dissolved gas models for which gradient factors were developed and how modern decompression research is making certain gradient factors more favorable over others for certain types of dives. Since technical diving computers throw these decisions at the user, they are also throwing risk and liability at the user. It will be far more difficult to sue Shearwater if you get bent because you were diving a really bizarre gradient factor without even knowing what a gradient factor is.

If you are a new recreational diver, any entry level dive computer is a lot safer device to hold in your hand than these high end Shearwaters. Manufacturer has made certain decisions while knowing very well that the person who will dive with these has no idea how to program all these parameters. My advice is to buy an entry level dive computer and enjoy the experience of the dive, rather than spending all this money to enjoy the experience of the purchase. I totally understand that this advice is in sharp contrast to the consumer culture which pushes the most expensive as the best.

What exactly is the point of pushing recreational divers to buy the highest end technical dive computer? Technical diving computers enable divers to make some very serious decompression decisions. They will ask you what type of algorithm you plan on diving? To make that decision you need to know short comings of bubble models and assumptions behind dissolved gas models.

The Perdix manual definitely agrees. On the page for "Decompression and Gradient Factors" they give the user some research reading and a big warning: "Don’t use the system until you understand how it works."

What exactly is the point of pushing recreational divers to buy the highest end technical dive computer? Technical diving computers enable divers to make some very serious decompression decisions. They will ask you what type of algorithm you plan on diving? To make that decision you need to know short comings of bubble models and assumptions behind dissolved gas models. Once you have chosen that you would like to dive a particular algorithm, they may ask you what sort of gradient factors you will use? To program those, you need to know what were the short comings in dissolved gas models for which gradient factors were developed and how modern decompression research is making certain gradient factors more favorable over others for certain types of dives. Since technical diving computers throw these decisions at the user, they are also throwing risk and liability at the user. It will be far more difficult to sue Shearwater if you get bent because you were diving a really bizarre gradient factor without even knowing what a gradient factor is.

If you are a new recreational diver, any entry level dive computer is a lot safer device to hold in your hand than these high end Shearwaters. Manufacturer has made certain decisions while knowing very well that the person who will dive with these has no idea how to program all these parameters. My advice is to buy an entry level dive computer and enjoy the experience of the dive, rather than spending all this money to enjoy the experience of the purchase. I totally understand that this advice is in sharp contrast to the consumer culture which pushes the most expensive as the best.
one reason that i am looking for is the led screen for where i dive.i really dont need the high end computer but there is no midrange led only high end and here in canada shearwater ,sunnto aqualung etc all run closely the same price for led .honestly my i 300 does all i need but screen is hard to see in low vis

Hey Captain Sinbad, what entry level dive computer would you recommend that has AI, a big visible screen, and is easy to use?

@CAPTAIN SINBAD

I didn't recommend a particular computer in this thread. I actually did start typing a response but never hit submit and I would have recommend an Oceanic Geo 2 or Geo 4 until the OP stated they also wanted AI and then I circled back to the original post about not really having a budget so then I thought OCi then abandoned all efforts to see how it would play out, hence my question about what they are actually going to go with.

With that said, I started off on a Suunto and upgraded to a Perdix last year. I did not chime in with my thoughts on the Perdix, but I do want to reply to your post. I am what people define as a recreational diver. I'm not new but I also don't have a full understanding (or any good understanding) of the different gradient factors. (This is my invitation for someone to provide a Gradient Factors for Dummies 101 class for me anytime!) With that said, I have no problem picking conservatism at "low", "med", or 'high" depending on the circumstances of my diving which I take into consideration location (relative to chamber and local health services), type of diving, # of repetitive dives, etc. On a Suunto, that would have been changing the A's and P's to different numbers. Should I try to understand the gradient factors again and actually retain that information the next time, I then have the opportunity to tinker with the gradient factors specifically. It isn't less safe having a computer that is capable of doing more so long as you aren't trying to do more with it and not understanding what it means or what the implications are. While that may be common sense, perhaps that is worth reminding the OP and everyone about.

While I understand the parallel isn't exactly the same, someone thought I was nuts recently when I pointed out in a discussion that the Olympus TG-5 is a great camera, has amazing microscope mode which does not need a macro lens, can take on a wide angle lens and strobes and do a lot for a beginner photographer, but it did not have manual mode. Someone then argued there was manual control and I said relative to just aperture or shutter, but not both that you can do independently of one another to your heart's desire. They said that it wasn't necessary, they got great pics that can rival that of any manual compact or DSLR. They then said I was setting up a beginner photographer for failure by recommending a camera with manual mode.

My response was simple....Just because a camera doesn't have manual mode doesn't mean that you have to use it in manual mode right away when you first get it. You can definitely shoot on auto, then learn the different things about ISO, shutter speed, aperture, and tinker with each slowly as you understand it more...if you want. In addition, for that poster, just because it was good for them doesn't mean it would be good for everyone. The same goes for a dive computer. You don't have to use all the features or go full on deco diving with trimix and 2 transmitters...but should you ever want to, it is there for you, when you are ready and have learned properly...If you want. That is an option. While I understand photography can't "kill you" (though not paying attention to your gauges and having high task load can contribute to it) and negligence with a dive computer can, especially if you don't understand what you're doing or what it's telling you, the idea behind a product's features and a person's desire and ability to use it now or in the future is somewhat of a parallel.

With that said, I am still not recommending or pushing a Perdix or a high end tech capable computer on the OP or anyone else. I'm thinking long term or future proofing options, or with the $ spent what makes sense value wise, if that is important. Once those things are considered, then move forward in deciding what's best for that while looking at the bells and whistles. For some people it is an inexpensive computer and for others it's not.

Let us know what you wind up with.
As someone else said, I agree that you can wind up in trouble if you don't know the various settings and how they may effect you.

I also agree with the future proofing idea. I didn't think I'd ever take tech classes, but I'm now looking into them. So, it may be better to spend up front than just grab a basic computer than wind up spending more later for the needed features.

I came across the iratio computers today myself, so now I added another model to do research on. I like their 5 year warranty, but don't know much about them at this time.

BTW I have a similar thread going lol. I am wanting color also.

*subscribed*. I need to buy the wife a new computer since our Mares Icon's died. I got myself a Perdix, but all she wants is a big-screen, wrist mounted easy to use computer. Might try out the OSTC sport since it should at least use the same algorithm as my Perdix

*subscribed*. I need to buy the wife a new computer since our Mares Icon's died. I got myself a Perdix, but all she wants is a big-screen, wrist mounted easy to use computer. Might try out the OSTC sport since it should at least use the same algorithm as my Perdix

Why not another mares? The mares genius looks interesting to me.

Why not another mares? The mares genius looks interesting to me.
Mares? Never again.

Firstly one of the Mares power supplies exploded.

They continually lost date / time, so you'd be part way through a dive trip and you'd suddenly start logging dives 2 days earlier. Really screwed the logs.

We continually had troubles charging one of them.

The Battery replacements were hideously expensive for what was a $10 18650 battery with a pigtail.

And no real support for any of these issues. When the power supply literally exploded, their sum offer was a replacement. Zero care.

And now the buttons stopped working.

Back
Top Bottom