Difference between PADI AOW and deep diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to be at least an Adventure Dives before doing the Deep Diver specialty. That means completing three "Adventure Dives" which is practically AOW. The shop I'm getting my AOW from does Peak Performance Boyancy, Night, and Underwater Navigation as the first three adventure dives which then allows you to do the Deep and Wreck adventure dives to finish the AOW.
Yes, you need to be an Adventure Diver before doing the Deep Speciality, but NOT before doing the Deep Adventure dive (dive #1 of the specialty). Same is true of Wreck. Unless it is a really weird and special circumstance, it makes more sense to do AOW and then the more demanding specialities, like Deep or Wreck.

I just finished my AOW through PADI - but I have actually done a number of specialities through TDI SDI - including the Deep Speciality.

The biggest difference was that with the AOW adventure dive, we didn't go down as deep. It was limited to theory, a deeper dive than you'd see in OW, and the demonstration of color fade and narcosis (none of the divers displayed symptoms). Followed by an SMB blow and a mandatory safety stop - you missed it, you failed.

SDI's deep water speciality required, if I recall correctly, two dives. The first to about 100 ft and was pretty much the AOW dive. The second deeper dive (on a different day). On the second dive, was more intense. I recall I was required to carry a pony bottle, and the instructor 'simulated' an emergency by shutting off my air at a random point in time at depth (knew it was happening, just not when), requiring me to signal an out of air situation, switch to switch to the pony bottle underwater and execute a controlled assent with an SMB blow at safety stop depth.

I just finished my AOW through PADI - but I have actually done a number of specialities through TDI SDI - including the Deep Speciality.

The biggest difference was that with the AOW adventure dive, we didn't go down as deep. It was limited to theory, a deeper dive than you'd see in OW, and the demonstration of color fade and narcosis (none of the divers displayed symptoms). Followed by an SMB blow and a mandatory safety stop - you missed it, you failed.

SDI's deep water speciality required, if I recall correctly, two dives. The first to about 100 ft and was pretty much the AOW dive. The second deeper dive (on a different day). On the second dive, was more intense. I recall I was required to carry a pony bottle, and the instructor 'simulated' an emergency by shutting off my air at a random point in time at depth (knew it was happening, just not when), requiring me to signal an out of air situation, switch to switch to the pony bottle underwater and execute a controlled assent with an SMB blow at safety stop depth.
That’s a nice training scenario

A
I have yet to dive anywhere with an operation that requested to see a "Deep Diver" specialty card. They have asked for an Advance Open water certification card or its equivalent though.

AOW can be viewed as part of a training continuum, Deep Diver is a specialty rating.

PADI does not limit a diver to 30 meters...in fact PADI does not restrict basic Open Water Divers to 18 meters...they simply suggest that one gain experience and/or further training before venturing into depth deeper than the training they have received covers. It is commercial dive operations and their insurance companies that impose the restrictions on depth.

I am NAUI master diver certified and PADI divemaster certified. I have never done a specific "deep diver" specialty.

My recommendation would be to do the AOW course if you can only afford or have time for 1 course. It opens the door for other opportunities such as Rescue, Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, Instructor programs.

-Z
A related side issue is that the PADI DM course added a Deep component/dive since 2010. I see you are a NAUI MSD, so it doesn't apply to you but....I always wondered how DMs who are not Deep certified to ("a recommended depth of", etc.) 130'/40m routinely guided dives to those depths. I guess that may be also something the dive ops regulate as opposed to the agencies. As I figure it, a PADI DM today still may only have one really deep dive.

Take the Deep speciality, and then move on and take Tec 40 you'll learn a good deal more theory as well as being trained for up to 10 min of deco. Even if you never want to progress further into tech, what you'll learn will improve your knowledge and skills as a rec diver

But I'd like to suggest a bit of consideration. Is 40m/130' a good idea if you have less than 50 dives under your weight belt? Why do you want to go that deep?
There are some dive centers in Croatia that will not take you to some sites without Deep Diver card, whether from PADI or any other agency that have such certification. You mostly stay shallower, but nevertheless, since bottom is way down and you have an opportunity to go deep, you won't be taken without that card (of course, if you're CMAS ** all is good).

mandatory safety stop - you missed it, you failed.
Another "let's invent our own rules" example. Safety stop is not mandatory. Period.
Someone started with 18 or 30 meters limit, and now it is a rule of business. I wonder how long it will be before safety stops become mandatory?

Another "let's invent our own rules" example. Safety stop is not mandatory. Period.
Someone started with 18 or 30 meters limit, and now it is a rule of business. I wonder how long it will be before safety stops become mandatory?

I don't think that's entirely fair to say. They were very clear that there was no hard medical evidence to suggest that a safety stop was essential, or even something that reduced injury. Just that - in theory - it makes a good deal of sense, and should make the end of your dive safer. So - 3 minutes out of 40 or so (we were diving air in AU 80s) is a fairly small sacrifice to make for some additional safety. Even if it's just theoretical. And they recommend it.

But - as far as making it mandatory for the deep water dive we did for certification, I think it's wonderful. It requires the divers to demonstrate a few things:

1. That you can control your buoyancy on ascent - particularly in the sometimes tricky 15 ft to surface area and after a deep dive where it's more important to release air from your BCD as you ascend. Say what you want about the stop itself - being able to carefully control how quickly you surface is an important skill to master. And if you can't intentionally pause at 15 feet, you don't have good control.

2. It makes you demonstrate the same technique you'd use on a deco stop. When you're diving deeper there's an increased chance you may exceed your no-stop limit. And if you do that, it's probably good that you have some familiarity with conducting a stop while your computer gets you out of trouble. It also introduces you to some of the challenges with maintaining position - particularly in light current, and without easy reference points.

3. That you can govern your air usage with the idea that you'll need to be surfacing with enough in the tank to make your stop.

A reputable dive centre won't let you dive to 40m on an AOW.

Take the deep spec, and take it with an instructor who regularly dives deep so it's not just a box ticking exercise. Learning more about the extra considerations will make you a better diver all round.

admikar, I always do a safety stop unless diving to like 30' /10m. I agree with you that probably some day it will become mandatory--well, mandatory within the dive community. If the govt. had it's nose into diving that would have occurred decades ago.

I don't think that's entirely fair to say. They were very clear that there was no hard medical evidence to suggest that a safety stop was essential, or even something that reduced injury. Just that - in theory - it makes a good deal of sense, and should make the end of your dive safer. So - 3 minutes out of 40 or so (we were diving air in AU 80s) is a fairly small sacrifice to make for some additional safety. Even if it's just theoretical. And they recommend it.

But - as far as making it mandatory for the deep water dive we did for certification, I think it's wonderful. It requires the divers to demonstrate a few things:

1. That you can control your buoyancy on ascent - particularly in the sometimes tricky 15 ft to surface area and after a deep dive where it's more important to release air from your BCD as you ascend. Say what you want about the stop itself - being able to carefully control how quickly you surface is an important skill to master. And if you can't intentionally pause at 15 feet, you don't have good control.

2. It makes you demonstrate the same technique you'd use on a deco stop. When you're diving deeper there's an increased chance you may exceed your no-stop limit. And if you do that, it's probably good that you have some familiarity with conducting a stop while your computer gets you out of trouble. It also introduces you to some of the challenges with maintaining position - particularly in light current, and without easy reference points.

3. That you can govern your air usage with the idea that you'll need to be surfacing with enough in the tank to make your stop.
I agree with your points skills wise. Call it virtual deco stop, call it "out-of-my-hole" stop and make it mandatory. Don't call it safety stop and make it mandatory. It has already been said that members of this forum are above average regarding skills, awareness and learning vigor.
But, out there, there will be someone trained with "mandatory safety stop" that will do as trained and potentially get hurt because of this nonsense, either by staying in water with low gas or by panicking because of missed "mandatory" stop.

admikar, I always do a safety stop unless diving to like 30' /10m. I agree with you that probably some day it will become mandatory--well mandatory within the dive community. If the govt. had it's nose into diving that would have occurred decades ago.
I do it too. I don't mind being in water, either watching scenery or practicing buoyancy. And I usually overstay it. Just don't like it being "mandated".

Back
Top Bottom