Remember when airlines asked for able bodied volunteers for Exit rows?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that Turkish, Qatari and Emirits airlines are still the best by a wide margin. The attitude of the flight attendants on American carriers is the worst I have seen it in my region.

But I wouldn't count on it, with my luck I get stuck in the center seat between two huge people.
In my early days of flying, I enjoyed window seats - until the time I got stuck between a huge guy and the window. That was my last time for that.

Do any of them that fly actual airliners (vs turbo props) actually weigh the bags? ANA had a 7kg rule, but they never made any attempt to weigh my carry ons.

Which is a good thing because my roller bag with regs and pony tank weighs 40lbs (verified on a luggage scale at the airport), and my back pack is probably 30lbs.

Absolutely. Malindo Air makes you weigh your carry-ons when you check in, same for Lion Air and the other budget Asian carriers.

I’ve had my carry-on weighed by Emirates before as well.

I've always felt that people who are in good shape such as me, and not overweight should be given a larger baggage allowance. Vice Versa for the morbidly obsese who probably should be charged even for a personal item.

There was talk of charging the morbidly obese for 2 seats. They freaked out about it.

To be fair, you no longer have to lift a 50lb exit door anymore. You only need to be reasonably able bodied to open the exit door.
But if nobody is in the seat because it is extra cost, nobody can open the door.

Meh...this is all just an advertising/web flight tool gimmick/cash grab. What I wish for were the days they would actually hold a flight for a few minutes for folks with close connections. I remember being met by an attendant as I was deplaning; being rushed to the departure gate; and welcomed aboard to a round of applause from the folks in the cabin. Now days even if you do rush yourself to the gate with the plane still sitting there, you're told your seat was resold an hour ago and instead they'll be happy to rebook you with three stops through an airport you don't want to be at after dark. Now THOSE were the days. The rest is just money. Anyway...Now you kids get off my lawn!!! :)

Absolutely. Malindo Air makes you weigh your carry-ons when you check in, same for Lion Air and the other budget Asian carriers.

I’ve had my carry-on weighed by Emirates before as well.

Thank god I've avoided those airlines.

But if nobody is in the seat because it is extra cost, nobody can open the door.

They will upgrade people with status into those seats.

Meh...this is all just an advertising/web flight tool gimmick/cash grab. What I wish for were the days they would actually hold a flight for a few minutes for folks with close connections. I remember being met by an attendant as I was deplaning; being rushed to the departure gate; and welcomed aboard to a round of applause from the folks in the cabin. Now days even if you do rush yourself to the gate with the plane still sitting there, you're told your seat was resold an hour ago and instead they'll be happy to rebook you with three stops through an airport you don't want to be at after dark. Now THOSE were the days. The rest is just money. Anyway...Now you kids get off my lawn!!! :)

I've had them hold the plane. On my recent trip they held the flight to Hong Kong for almost an hour to not only get people like me who were on late connections, but they also actually got our luggage on board.

My two wishes when flying is that the plane gets me to where I'm going on time and alive. Not necessarily in that order.
Planes are no longer the means of travel for the elite. They are the Greyhound Busses of the sky.

Back
Top Bottom