Remember when airlines asked for able bodied volunteers for Exit rows?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My able bodied 11 year old daughter can't sit in the exit row but some old decrepit traveler can just because he has status. When I see that I know who I am going to step over to get that door open.

No offense meant to anyone here of course.

When I see that I know who I am going to step over to get that door open.
I bet you'd take time to fight anyone who tried to drag their roll-on off the plane during an emergency evacuation, as I would.

If I am lucky enough to nab an exit row when the flight attendant asks "will you be able to assist passengers in exiting the aircraft during an emergency escape?" I always answer "Yes, but I'll be helping them from OUTSIDE the aircraft".

Which airline?

I saw FAs refuse to allow that last week. I'm in the last boarding group. If I see an empty aisle seat, I may just try to cop it.

You cannot sit in a seat not assigned to you, but upgraded seats will be assigned at check in to Basic travellers if all basic seats are filled.

You cannot sit in a seat not assigned to you, but upgraded seats will be assigned at check in to Basic travellers if all basic seats are filled.

It can happen the lady and her son next to me on the flight back from Tokyo got upgraded for free to the seat I paid $170 more for. But I wouldn't count on it, with my luck I get stuck in the center seat between two huge people.

Nowadays the money hungry corporations are forfeiting safety to try to gouge us for more bucks. It's fine with them if the exit rows go empty when they fail to sell. The poor Flight Attendants are caught in the middle as their primary function is supposed to be to ensure safety, but they can no longer allow any seat changes that weren't paid for.

I bought a Basic Economy ticket, and now they want to torture me to get more money. I'm stuck in a middle seat at the back of the plane and too stubborn & cheap to play their game. I'm not going to pay $20 for an aisle or $31 for an Exit row for a 70 minute flight. :rant:

You still need to be able bodied to sit in an exit row
FAR Part 135 Sec. 135.129 effective as of 01/26/1996 regardless of your status or wealth.

You also want to be careful about double exit rows. In the pic in the original post the $31 seats in row 20 will not recline. Neither will the El cheapo seats ahead in row 19.

Nowadays the money hungry corporations are forfeiting safety to try to gouge us for more bucks. It's fine with them if the exit rows go empty when they fail to sell. The poor Flight Attendants are caught in the middle as their primary function is supposed to be to ensure safety, but they can no longer allow any seat changes that weren't paid for.

I bought a Basic Economy ticket, and now they want to torture me to get more money. I'm stuck in a middle seat at the back of the plane and too stubborn & cheap to play their game. I'm not going to pay $20 for an aisle or $31 for an Exit row for a 70 minute flight. :rant:

Just wait till they charge to use the lavatories....it’s coming.

Use seatguru.com

You still need to be able bodied to sit in an exit row
FAR Part 135 Sec. 135.129 effective as of 01/26/1996 regardless of your status or wealth.

You also want to be careful about double exit rows. In the pic in the original post the $31 seats in row 20 will not recline. Neither will the El cheapo seats ahead in row 19.
And yes the airlines are getting very strict about random seat changes. On a recent flight during loading a passenger tried to sweet talk his way up to a better seat. The response was a polite " you did not pay".

We also overheard a guest doing a free gate check on their huge carry-on being told that the airline is about to start charging for gate checks.

I’ve been waterboarded. It’s preferable to some airlines I’ve flown over the years.

The small Asian budget airlines are the worst. Carry-on is free, under 7kg/15lbs. Anything else is $$$$. Even more if you don’t prepay when booking.

The small Asian budget airlines are the worst. Carry-on is free, under 7kg/15lbs. Anything else is $$$$. Even more if you don’t prepay when booking.

Do any of them that fly actual airliners (vs turbo props) actually weigh the bags? ANA had a 7kg rule, but they never made any attempt to weigh my carry ons.

Which is a good thing because my roller bag with regs and pony tank weighs 40lbs (verified on a luggage scale at the airport), and my back pack is probably 30lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom