December 2019 Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't wait!

Have you booked your dives yet?

Yes, AM dives from December 10th through the 23rd (assuming no port closures which always seems to happen during December). We may swap days from AM dives to afternoon dives if 3P's has afternoon boats going out as the sun is higher in the sky (which means more light on the reef) and there are far fewer divers on the reefs in the afternoon (which may play a role in the decision depending on reef closures and how congested the remaining open sites get in the AM). We'll play that by ear and 3P's allows for a great deal of flexibility which other shops don't. We no longer dive more than 2 tanks a day as we're getting older - early 50's and late 40's.

If I were you I'd book dives for every day as we do as you don't want to limit yourself to a certain schedule of dive days and then find out the port is closed on some of the days you booked to dive and on days you didn't the boats are fully booked. If history repeats itself with us, on a 2 1/2 week trip we seem to lose around 5 days due to port closures in December associated with Nortes and port captain ignorance so we plan to dive every day from the beginning with the expectation we'll lose some days to port closures along the way. Furthermore, I personally find the island kind of boring during the day if I'm not diving but we've been visiting for 16 years or something so other than restaurants the topside doesn't offer us much of anything we haven't already seen or experienced. For us, Coz is about diving and dinners out these days and not much more.

Not sure what your age is or tolerance for water temps but in December when the water may be 79-82 and topside is cooler with lower humidity for SI's we made the move to full 5MM suits from 3MM last year and it made all the difference for us. We also wear tropic beanies... Worth their weight in gold. Then again, I see you're Canadians which means you could be immune to getting chilled and dive in nothing but swimsuits in December!

XS Scuba 2mm Tropic Beanie

Rich & Cat

Here's the roll call so far... Update/change as you see fit.

V&J…………………..Nov 30 - Dec 14……Villa Las Anclas…......Tres Pelicanos
Tiger 1974………….. Dec 4 – Dec 14…………………………......ScubaLuis
Deepsea21………….Dec 8 – Dec 25……Casa Mexicana.…......Tres Pelicanos
Hoosierdivebuddy......Dec 11 – Dec 23…..El Cantil…………........Dive Op Undecided
Chain Diver……….…Dec 13 – Dec 20….Casa Mexicana…........Tres Pelicanos
Keesmon……………Dec 14 – Dec 18…..Casa Caribe…...….....Tres Pelicanos
Knucklebusted……...Dec 14 – Dec 21…..Iberostar……..............Dressel or DWM
Flyboy08…………….Dec 14- Dec 22........Grand Occidental......Prodive
Mikeycanuk………....Dec 20 – Jan 3…………………………….....Aldora
AZ Tinman…………..Dec 27 – Jan 3...…..Coral Princess….........Tres Pelicanos

Yes, AM dives from December 10th through the 23rd (assuming no port closures which always seems to happen during December). We may swap days from AM dives to afternoon dives if 3P's has afternoon boats going out as the sun is higher in the sky (which means more light on the reef) and there are far fewer divers on the reefs in the afternoon (which may play a role in the decision depending on reef closures and how congested the remaining open sites get in the AM). We'll play that by ear and 3P's allows for a great deal of flexibility which other shops don't. We no longer dive more than 2 tanks a day as we're getting older - early 50's and late 40's.

If I were you I'd book dives for every day as we do as you don't want to limit yourself to a certain schedule of dive days and then find out the port is closed on some of the days you booked to dive and on days you didn't the boats are fully booked. If history repeats itself with us, on a 2 1/2 week trip we seem to lose around 5 days due to port closures in December associated with Nortes and port captain ignorance so we plan to dive every day from the beginning with the expectation we'll lose some days to port closures along the way. Furthermore, I personally find the island kind of boring during the day if I'm not diving but we've been visiting for 16 years or something so other than restaurants the topside doesn't offer us much of anything we haven't already seen or experienced. For us, Coz is about diving and dinners out these days and not much more.

Not sure what your age is or tolerance for water temps but in December when the water may be 79-82 and topside is cooler with lower humidity for SI's we made the move to full 5MM suits from 3MM last year and it made all the difference for us. We also wear tropic beanies... Worth their weight in gold. Then again, I see you're Canadians which means you could be immune to getting chilled and dive in nothing but swimsuits in December!

XS Scuba 2mm Tropic Beanie

Rich & Cat

This will be our 4th trip to Coz, I agree about not much else to do so we like to fill up the dive card.

I have not confirmed with Jeanie yet, but this is what I was planning, based on your observation of more light in the pm I might swap the Dec 17 for an afternoon dive. (Once I book these it might help you plan your PM dives!)

Sat Dec 14, 1:30 pm 2 tank boat dive for 2

Sun Dec 15 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2
Sun Dec 15 1:30 pm 2 tank boat dive for 2

Mon Dec 16 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2
Mon Dec 16 Twilight 2 tank boat dive for 2

Tues Dec 17 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2

Wed Dec 18 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2
Wed Dec 18 Twilight 2 tank boat dive for 2

Thur Dec 19 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2
Thur Dec 19 1:30 pm 2 tank boat dive for 2

My wife and are are both 53.
I will be bringing my 5mil, not sure about my wife, she does not get cold as quickly as I do.

I’ll be staying at the Occidental and using ProDive. 10 of us!

This will be our 4th trip to Coz, I agree about not much else to do so we like to fill up the dive card.

I have not confirmed with Jeanie yet, but this is what I was planning, based on your observation of more light in the pm I might swap the Dec 17 for an afternoon dive. (Once I book these it might help you plan your PM dives!)

Sat Dec 14, 1:30 pm 2 tank boat dive for 2

Sun Dec 15 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2
Sun Dec 15 1:30 pm 2 tank boat dive for 2

Mon Dec 16 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2
Mon Dec 16 Twilight 2 tank boat dive for 2

Tues Dec 17 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2

Wed Dec 18 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2
Wed Dec 18 Twilight 2 tank boat dive for 2

Thur Dec 19 8:00 am 2 tank boat dive for 2
Thur Dec 19 1:30 pm 2 tank boat dive for 2

WOW! That's a full schedule for sure. I'd be exhausted and freezing by Monday night and calling the shop Tues AM to let them know I need more sleep! (That may be another reason to swap the 17th for afternoon dives). Everybody's different though and everybody has different tolerances for the amount of time they can rack up UW over continuous days of diving with no break.

I'd say confirm with Jeanie sooner than later. AM boats are filling up as 3P's has gained a cult following and there are lots of repeat divers who show up in December year after year who are not on Scubaboard. I know of 7 right now who are returning this year and don't post here. I can't recall their dates as they drift in/out while we are there. I think Skinny Shark and Loan Shark are probably going to quickly fill up for AM dives and Pony will again have to rent other boats at some point to meet demand if divers insist on AM dives instead of being willing to swap to afternoon dives.

Back
Top Bottom