Russian drifted for two days in 8°C/46°F degree waters - Sea of Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are classified as radios and subject to each individual countries licensing and maintaining a database of users.

germany allows PLBs that use an MMSI but doesnt maintain a database for "land uses"
spain allows PLBs but only for maritime uses, not for hikers

ECO

PLB does not have MMSI number, PAB does. So, could Germany allows the use of PAB, not PLB? It doesn't make any sense to me.

PLB should work worldwide as the 406 MHz alert signal, including GPS coordinate, will be transmitted by the PLB straight to SAR satellites, while the MOB alert with its unique MMSI number, including GPS coordinate will be transmitted by PAB via AIS signal to nearby boat within 4-mile radius.

Excerpting from PLB: a full explanation
PLB: REGULATIONS

Compared to an EPIRB or an PLB, the requirements to be equipped with a PLB to carry out any activity are practically non-existent. Bureaucracy is marginal and no licenses or authorizations are required. This is true in most countries that allow unlimited use of the PLB - like Italy - but it should be noted that there are countries that instead place some restrictions. In Poland, for example, PLBs can only be used by those who have a specific radio license. In Japan the PLB is only allowed for aeronautical use, in Germany instead the restriction is even full: PLBs are not allowed unless coded with an EPIRB and used exclusively in the nautical sector. Fortunately, only a few countries require certain restrictions (for the moment). In the largest majority of cases, the PLB is completely free and without any requirements, but it is strictly necessary that it is correctly programmed, just like an EPIRB or an ELT.

PLB does not have MMSI number, PAB does. So, could Germany allows the use of PAB, not PLB? It doesn't make any sense to me.

PLB should work worldwide as the 406 MHz signal will be transmitted by the PLB straight to SAR satellites & GPS signal to GPS satellites, while the PAB AIS signal will send MOB alert with its unique MMSI number to nearby boat within 4-mile radius and GPS signal to GPS satellites.

The idea that PLBs or EPIRBs send a position signal to GPS satellites is incorrect. The devices receive signals from GPS satellites, calculate a position, and send that position with the rest of the distress information to the SAR capable satellites.

Reactions: Dan
The idea that PLBs or EPIRBs send a position signal to GPS satellites is incorrect. The devices receive signals from GPS satellites, calculate a position, and send that position with the rest of the distress information to the SAR capable satellites.

Thanks for the correction. I edited the post accordingly.

PLB should work worldwide as the 406 MHz alert signal, including GPS coordinate, will be transmitted by the PLB straight to SAR satellites, while the MOB alert with its unique MMSI number, including GPS coordinate will be transmitted by PAB via AIS signal to nearby boat within 4-mile radius.
It seems pretty clear, Germany won't register any "radio device" unless its using an MMSI.

I didnt say a PLB wouldn't work in Germany, someone could bring one there - they work worldwide. You cannot register one to a German address however.

It seems pretty clear, Germany won't register any "radio device" unless its using an MMSI.

I didnt say a PLB wouldn't work in Germany, someone could bring one there - they work worldwide. You cannot register one to a German address however.

Yes, it is clear to me. I just don’t understand their reasoning because PLB is not just for marine use. I carry it when I go hiking & skiing. So what would German skiers & hikers do if they want to carry PLBs? Buy & register from outside of their own country?

Yes, it is clear to me. I just don’t understand their reasoning because PLB is not just for marine use. I carry it when I go hiking & skiing. So what would German skiers & hikers do if they want to carry PLBs? Buy & register from outside of their own country?
Carry a cell phone or HAM radio or both. PLB isnt the only way so solicit help

Carry a cell phone or HAM radio or both. PLB isnt the only way so solicit help
Do you ever leave town. I can drive out of cell phone coverage in 30 minutes here. Some travels take me out of range for days. I don't know about ham radios. Many years ago I bought a pair of Marine & Aviation band walky talkies, but decided their too bulky to pack. PLBs really are so easy to handle, so cheap, and so helpful, I wish we could get them into every car console, in every hiking pack, and on every diver.

Anyone find pictures of the guy and his wet/dry suit?
At the link in post 1. Oh, here...

Pavel-Vazemiller.jpg

After being involved in a rescue where the lifeguards on the beach didn't see the stricken diver or the rescue group for a long period of time I started carrying a waterproof pencil rocket flare. I tried diving with it first in a goody bag (just in case it decided to fire) then in my wetsuit pocket. After diving with it for a year, on New Year's Eve, we decided to see it it worked - it did. While the new technology is better, it wasn't available in the 80s and this did work. This was also in the days before everyone carried an SMB - although we waved all sorts of things and blew whistles and it was a lifeguard station much farther down the beach that finally saw us. I'm certainly looking at adding a PLB to my kit though. While the flare worked, I was always a little skeptical of it.

Back
Top Bottom