Return to diving...this could get expensive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SarniaME

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone -

I have recently decided to return to diving after a hiatus of 20 years!

Heres a bit about me - I grew up and lived on an island as a kid and so naturally spent a lot of time in/on/under the sea! Became an instructor (PADI/TDI) and moved to Bahamas where I did all the usual diving activities and jobs.

Then life came along. I met a great woman, had kids, got a mortgage and settled into a (non-diving) career etc etc.

Recently (2019) we returned from vacation in Maui where my son decided he wanted to try diving. I couldn't get him in the water quick enough...! Seeing him in total awe at the underwater world reminded me of the good old dive days...

Anyway, here I am deciding to go full steam back into diving again. I've been looking at re-certification, though only to a non-professional level, maybe Nitrox in the future who knows. My intention is to be able to go diving with the kids and see where it leads me...

Thanks for reading - I hope to be able to contribute in some small way to the community here and look forward to learning to dive again!

Now - wheres my credit card...

First of all, welcome back! Sounds like you're about to get sucked back down to the depths with the rest of us!

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I'd suggest just doing a refresher course as opposed to a complete recertification. Only you know for certain what you're comfortable with, but I'd be willing to bet you'll pick back up where you left off on your basic skills. Might take you a bit to get back to getting neutral but I'm sure your muscle memory is still there albeit a bit dormant. My suggestion is this:

You have a certification. It doesn't go away. Go to a local shop, rent some gear, and spend a couple hours in the pool refamiliarizing yourself with it all. Practice drills, practice doffing & donning gear, just get yourself comfortable being back in the water. And if you don't feel that's enough, maybe just do a refresher. The only real changes lately are that agencies are moving more toward teaching computers as opposed to tables but a computer can be learned in about an hour. So I'd start there. If you absolutely feel you should do a complete course over again, then go for it, as you're the only person that can decide that. But I'd almost be willing to bet you don't need it. Unless of course you just want to go through it with your son. And that's commendable.

Whichever route you choose, happy diving and keep blowing bubbles!!!!!

See if you can get into an AOW class without going through OW again. Nitrox and AOW are useful in expanding your dive opportunities.

Hi @SarniaME

I was certified in 1970 by LA County and dived actively in Southern California for 10 years. I had a similar interruption of my diving for 17 years. I was recertified by PADI in 1997, when my son turned 12 and wanted to dive. Recertification was extremely easy, but fun with my son. My wife and daughter were certified in 2002, after my daughter turned 12. I've been diving with my son for 22 years now, and with my wife and daughter for 18 years. All four of us recently had the chance to dive together in Bonaire, priceless.
upload_2020-2-24_11-31-20.png

Similarly to you, I used to dive for a few years when I was younger. I got certified when I was 15 and then stopped around the age of 19 or 20. Here I am 30 years later and wanted to get back into it in time for my 50th birthday. I took the OW course again last fall rather than the refresher course. I also took the classes with my nephew so he could get certified. A lot of the info came back to me, but I still enjoyed it very much and am glad I did it. I was also happy that my nephew wanted to do it as well!

howdy and welcome from southeast florida....great advice here....enjoy diving with your family.

First of all, welcome back! Sounds like you're about to get sucked back down to the depths with the rest of us!

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I'd suggest just doing a refresher course as opposed to a complete recertification. Only you know for certain what you're comfortable with, but I'd be willing to bet you'll pick back up where you left off on your basic skills. Might take you a bit to get back to getting neutral but I'm sure your muscle memory is still there albeit a bit dormant. My suggestion is this:

You have a certification. It doesn't go away. Go to a local shop, rent some gear, and spend a couple hours in the pool refamiliarizing yourself with it all. Practice drills, practice doffing & donning gear, just get yourself comfortable being back in the water. And if you don't feel that's enough, maybe just do a refresher. The only real changes lately are that agencies are moving more toward teaching computers as opposed to tables but a computer can be learned in about an hour. So I'd start there. If you absolutely feel you should do a complete course over again, then go for it, as you're the only person that can decide that. But I'd almost be willing to bet you don't need it. Unless of course you just want to go through it with your son. And that's commendable.

Whichever route you choose, happy diving and keep blowing bubbles!!!!!
Welcome back. I agree with all this. My first few years I made sure there was never really a big amount of time between dives (very rarely more than a month, usually weekly). Didn't want my skills to deteriorate. I wouldn't be concerned now if I took a few years off. I would think with your backround even 20 years would be fine, just catching up on the more modern stuff I guess. Other than the almost universal use of computers, I don't think much of anything has really changed in my time (since 2005). Back then some did have computers of course, but only tables were taught-- that did change not that long after I was certified.

Thank-you everyone for the warm welcomes.

I think a refresher course is more what I was looking for rather than a re-certification. I am more interested in the safety updates really and blowing the cob-webs off old skills! Im looking forward to it all.

Thanks again and see you all on the forums! - Steve

Thank-you everyone for the warm welcomes.

I think a refresher course is more what I was looking for rather than a re-certification. I am more interested in the safety updates really and blowing the cob-webs off old skills! Im looking forward to it all.

Thanks again and see you all on the forums! - Steve

if you are diving locally and are in southern Maine, get with @Luis H who is quite active in the area and a brilliant engineer and diver. He'll have the right hookups to get you off on the right foot

Back
Top Bottom