Spreading communicable diseases via regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's just like if I have to give someone CPR, sorry if I crack a rib, your alive stop complaining.

British Humor:
victim: "stop breaking my ribs, I'm still alive!"
CPR guy: "Oh shut up, I know you're not breathing so stop complaining!"

I disagree most strongly!
In an out of air situation, the standard of care is to give the regulator that has been working perfectly (your primary), and then take the spare reg that is hanging around your throat for yourself, since you checked it at the start of the dive it should still be working 30 minutes later.
What the panicked out-of-air diver doesn't need is problems with the donated reg!
If you are not willing to assume buddy duties for others, dive alone!
Michael

Disagree all you like -- in the US, octopus hoses are typically longer than the primary, so as to greater benefit a flailing, out of air diver. I am not donating my primary to anyone, least of all, someone who cannot manage his gauges or gas supply. All of my regs function well.

That said, regulators, particularly rental fleets, can be filthy. In an earlier post, which covered similar issues:

"While taking microbiology at university, one of our assignments was to swab everyday items and to run streak plates, in order to isolate and culture whatever we happened to find. A friend was then working at a local dive shop and we tested doorknobs; some random rental gear, all of which had received, so it was claimed, a cursory rinse. From ten or twelve regulators (via mouthpieces and second stage interiors), we isolated three strains of E. coli; Clostridium; Salmonella; Bifidobacterium; Cryptosporidium; Staphylococcus; and the lovely Candida, the causative agent of genital yeast infections, and thrush.

The handle and seat of the toilet at that late shop, along with the door knob, was actually cleaner."

In terms of pollution studies, the presence of coliform bacteria and other enterics -- far simpler to see under standard microscopy -- is a standard indicator for a concomitant presence of viruses. Expect them to be there . . .

in the US, octopus hoses are typically longer than the primary
I'm in the US and my octopus hose is definitely not longer than my primary.

Obviously this is more of a "how you were trained" thing than anything... and not so much a regional thing.

I'm in the US and my octopus hose is definitely not longer than my primary.

Obviously this is more of a "how you were trained" thing than anything... and not so much a regional thing.

Strangely, all of my octopus hoses are significantly longer than the primaries; came that way, years ago . . .

If I have to give a buddy a reg it's highly likely they are panicking and i will have to be doing bouyancy control for the both of us.

To paraphrase one of the US's Founding Fathers.......

"Give me a Virus or give me Death"

That is the choice. There are not all kinds of options. You have to choose between taking the risk of some type of virus/disease or being okay drowning. I know what I would do every single time...no question.

With that said this is, imo, a silly conversation anyway when you think about it. All the things you touch everyday you know nothing about, the trust you put in others when driving 70mph down the road in a 1/2 ton vehicle, etc etc. The minuscule chance of an issue from an OOA situation pales by comparison to the life changing risk you take every single day just by walking out of the door.

I dive with a long hose and a necklace regulator. I personally believe that it is fine to make your necklace reg your primary and your long hose for donation your secondary. You just have to have a truly breakaway connection on the right chest d-ring and have some way of stowing the long hose and practice deploying it without hindrance.

All the things you touch everyday you know nothing about, the trust you put in others when driving 70mph down the road in a 1/2 ton vehicle, etc etc. The minuscule chance of an issue from an OOA situation pales by comparison to the life changing risk you take every single day just by walking out of the door.

That's precisely it; I don't trust them, whether at 30 meters or at 70 mph; and I do have some idea what lurks on door handles, etc, having had experience testing just that. I have been party to six or more out of air situations, over the years; and none of them have been particularly pleasant . . .

Back
Top Bottom