Spreading communicable diseases via regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, what happens when the panicked diver rips the thing with bubbles coming out from your mouth, this happened to a friend, he switched to his pony just to the still panicking diver (to panicked to purge it) ripped that out to. I have people do this to me in the pool so I train for it.

Sand dragging along with the pratice of getting the cheapest second around has been beaten to death.

Long hose gives me more freedom to maneuver and get control of the panicked diver if needed.

In a few hundred dives (I stopped logging or counting, to distracted by pretty fish) outside of training I have given my long hose once and it was a damn good thing I had it or getting my buddy back to shore would have been a lot harder.

I forgot to add when I go to the necklace I duck my head also, this makes the long hose slip right off almost by itself.

Of course, you could just make sure you don't drag your octopus through the sand if you know you may have to use it.

That and those that do primary donate generally keep their octopus on a necklace. Hard to drag it through the sand there.
Sand is not the only reason for a reg can fail...
My rule: never touch something which is working, replacing it with something which may (or may not) work. The helper must be in full safety, and he should not renounce to something which is keeping him alive for giving it to buddy in need of help.
As said, I was a firefighter. When you enter in a building saturated by smoke, you use an air tank and a full face mask, and there is only one regulator, attached to the mask. In some films, you see the firefighter removing his mask and placing it on the face of a child to be evacuated from the smokey room. Well, this happens only in films; in reality, a firefighter NEVER removes his mask, because that is the way to double the problem having now TWO people breathing smoke and needing help...

I have heard this many times, and I know that it is what is taught under the GUE-DIR method.
My training as a firefighter is the opposite. The first rule for an helper, who provides assistance to some one in danger, is not to place your self in danger too. So I will never give away my working reg, already in my mouth, HOPING that the Octopus will be working ...

That was precisely my scuba training as well, though we didn't commonly have octopuses at that time, at the YMCA; and then NAUI, while at university with the safe seconds . . .

Sand is not the only reason for a reg can fail...
Absolutely... which is why you should be breathing off the octopus on every dive to verify it's working, right?

So now you've contaminated both second stages with your communicable disease, mooting the topic at hand.

So if you trained to not give your primary and you didn't have octopuses, did you train to just let an out of air diver drown?

I realize that it was too much effort to comprehend the complete sentence. It was the occasional octopus (uncommon doesn't mean absent, in my book) and "buddy breathing" at the Y, which was already on its welcomed way out, as a colossal drowning risk; and then octopuses at university . . .

I know that it was too much effort to comprehend the complete sentence.

Or, just perhaps, it was a rhetorical question meant to point out that you were buddy breathing... meaning your training was the exact opposite of a firefighter not sharing their air.

Or, just perhaps, it was a rhetorical question meant to point out that you were buddy breathing... meaning your training was the exact opposite of a firefighter not sharing their air.

Not in college. Octopuses all the way; no exchange of primaries; nor was there any exchange at the Y, provided that we had the rarer octopus rigs . . .

Ha, my initial training was on a double-hose reg. Buddy breathing was mandatory and a high art form. Glad it has gone away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom