Starting Tech - Side-mount or Back-mount Questions

If starting Tech today would you choose

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I boat dive all the time I'll heavily disagree with those that say SM off boats is a PITA

Unless of course you're one of those people who need to faff in teh water attaching and removing cylinders, or can't climb the latter with cylinders attached.
For me, the key to enjoyable boat diving in a SM configuration is finding the right boat, with a crew that understands SM. There is no reason for SM diving off a boat to be a PITA, if the crew is in sync with the diver and gear.

My personal preference is to hit the water with no cylinders, or one cylinder, then have the cylinders, or one other cylinder either handed down to me, or hung over the side on a line (my preference), where I can retrieve it. The same, in reverse, is true for exiting the water. I prefer to doff my cylinders - at least one and preferably two - in the water then climb the ladder without the weight. A good boat crew works with that approach easily. And, for me that is one of the advantages of SM. Frankly, climbing a ladder carrying two BM HP steels is getting to be very challenging for me. SM allows me to avoid that.

For me, the key to enjoyable boat diving in a SM configuration is finding the right boat, with a crew that understands SM. There is no reason for SM diving off a boat to be a PITA, if the crew is in sync with the diver and gear.

That's perfectly reasonable. Here, boats aren't "anti SM" as long as you're capable and don't faff.

Generally at home, I''ll be rolling off the boat with my SM , a DPV and possibly an AL 40 deco, straight into significant current, clipping tanks at the surface is far from optimal. Hence my rig is configured to suit that

Last year, in Komodo I chose Sm, and were were all off Ribs. Everyone had to remove kit in the water and bounce onto the boat, Couple of tank clips and I was done, so quicker than most wriggling out of their harnesses

I'm just against The Black and White statements that a few people put out here - especially with SM in OW. Sure itn their area it may not but the preferred, which is not to say it's not the preferred option in other places

That's perfectly reasonable. Here, boats aren't "anti SM" as long as you're capable and don't faff.
I hesitate to say many boats are 'anti-SM', although I know of one or two where the Captain doesn't care for it. It is more a matter of whether they are familar with the configuration, and able to offer proper assistance.
Diving Dubai:
Generally at home, I''ll be rolling off the boat with my SM , a DPV and possibly an AL 40 deco, straight into significant current, clipping tanks at the surface is far from optimal. Hence my rig is configured to suit that
And, that is very comfortable for me. On a crowded boat, with narrow aisles, I tend to let every else splash, then I waddle to the stern with gear and fall in. OK, I think I am a little more graceful than that, but as the gross weight increases, my entry elegance decreases.
Diving Dubai:
Last year, in Komodo I chose Sm, and were were all off Ribs. Everyone had to remove kit in the water and bounce onto the boat, Couple of tank clips and I was done, so quicker than most wriggling out of their harnesses
And, that is my ideal! Go in / come out with my harness only. On the entry, couple of clips and I have the cylinders secure, and I am finishing my clipping (bottoms) as I descend. On the exit, a couple of (un)clips am I am free as a bird in only the harness. And, a boat / crew that understands SM is cool with that.
Diving Dubai:
I'm just against The Black and White statements that a few people put out here - especially with SM in OW.
Fully agree!

I'm also just moving into TDI training, and have my ITT scheduled for next month. I'm quite looking forward to it and am going with backmount. The reasons I chose that option over sidemount is that it's the smallest "change" in configuration in my opinion, I think it will be easier for boat dives in general from what I've read and seen, and it needed the smallest amount of new gear purchases for me with what I already owned.

I'm also just moving into TDI training, and have my ITT scheduled for next month. I'm quite looking forward to it and am going with backmount. The reasons I chose that option over sidemount is that it's the smallest "change" in configuration in my opinion, I think it will be easier for boat dives in general from what I've read and seen, and it needed the smallest amount of new gear purchases for me with what I already owned.
Correct approach.
The switch from a 15 liters single to a 10+10 liters double is truly minimal.

I selected other a rebreather. IMO they are the future of diving. If I were in my 20's and had been diving 4-5 OC, I wouldn't spend money on OC tech training unless it was some kind of prerequisite to RB training.

I do believe I will eventually end up on a rebreather (next 5 years), just always contemplating when is the right time to swap.

For me I feel like it would be worthwhile getting the experience and skills on OC to solid level (AN&DP.... maybe Trimix) before swapping to rebreather, as I would feel more comfortable bailing out on OC at depths I have already approached with OC.

On the other hand I see a lot of value in hours doing what matters (Diving CCR), and taking my time to gain experience with rebreathers. I would rather not get to OC Adv Trimix and then start on rebreather, as I will be going backwards in dive depth etc. As such I'm inclined to do my AN&DP and then transition to rebreather. (Will always be doing OC dives down to 40m and bailout practice, so not worried about loosing any skills in OC)

I do believe I will eventually end up on a rebreather (next 5 years), just always contemplating when is the right time to swap.

For me I feel like it would be worthwhile getting the experience and skills on OC to solid level (AN&DP.... maybe Trimix) before swapping to rebreather, as I would feel more comfortable bailing out on OC at depths I have already approached with OC.

On the other hand I see a lot of value in hours doing what matters (Diving CCR), and taking my time to gain experience with rebreathers. I would rather not get to OC Adv Trimix and then start on rebreather, as I will be going backwards in dive depth etc. As such I'm inclined to do my AN&DP and then transition to rebreather. (Will always be doing OC dives down to 40m and bailout practice, so not worried about loosing any skills in OC)

IMO don't waste a lot of effort. Am I right that you are already RB diving? If so, IMO make it your priority. OC will probably always be around and you'll have plenty of time to dive OC as "vintage" gear. :wink:

I wouldn't be too concerned with bailouts, from what I read when the pooch is screwed with a RB it's already too late. Hopefully that will improve in the next 10 years or so.

Young divers that are serious enough to go tech should be looking to the future.

While I am primarily a sidemount diver, I wish I had started with BM doubles fairly soon as SM instruction evolved. There was nothing for me when I started out. But I also live in an area with a sizable GUE community. As I've said many times, I wish I took fundies right after OW. And I'm seriously tempting going back to BM doubles for a tech pass, and even T1, despite being normoxic trimix certified. The training won't hurt and with technical diving, the path to injury or death is much, much shorter.

The reasons I chose that option over sidemount is that it's the smallest "change" in configuration in my opinion, I think it will be easier for boat dives in general from what I've read and seen, and it needed the smallest amount of new gear purchases for me with what I already owned.
I would say that's a fair appraisal
I wouldn't choose to ever diver BM doubles as for me there's too many downsides. However teh real Issue with SM I can appreciate now, is teh amount of faff and tweaking to get it performing just right.

Getting it somewhere in the ballpark is easy, my small pile of discarded hardware is a testament to the changes require to get in properly dialled in. I was fortunate to have a V experienced SM diver nearby, whose second pair of eyes were invaluable in the fine tuning over a couple of dives.

Whereas BM is just as easy as a regular rig

That said, kit is just kit, the important part are the skills and protocols. Valve drills aren't hard, however they really do highlight people's poor buoyancy control when task loaded.

Since I boat dive all the time I'll heavily disagree with those that say SM off boats is a PITA

Unless of course you're one of those people who need to faff in teh water attaching and removing cylinders, or can't climb the latter with cylinders attached.
I'm one of "those" people :wink: My SM instructor was trained in it in Mexico, and as I intend to dive it in that environment I sought him for his background. My rig is optimized for it - tight, minimalist, and trims out nicely. But as I went ahead to do ocean diving without having completed the course boat dives, I lack skills to be efficient.

Right now I don't have confidence to backroll because of all the stuff clipped to my butt, and I'm afraid of climbing the ladder with the weight of tanks hanging off the bungees and sliding oring. I definitely take a disproportionate amount of crew attention and have had a lot of "why the hell am I doing this..." moments

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom