Have you tested positive for COVID?

Have you tested positive for COVID?

• I didn’t test positive, but I had it.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • I tested positive, but was asymptomatic/minimal symptoms

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I tested positive, it was the worst.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I tested positive and was hospitalized.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I tested positive and am a long hauler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not been tested, nor have I been sick

Votes: 86 43.4%
  • I was tested negative

Votes: 81 40.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add to this that Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are the 1st mRNA vaccines ever, and the long term effects of such vaccines had never been studied. The AstraZeneca and the Russian Sputnik-V vaccines are adenovirus vector vaccines, a much better-studied type.
Yes, the Pfizer vaccine will be the first to receive FDA approval but mRNA therapies/vaccines have been under development since the 90’s. Another interesting read. Note this was published in 2018, precovid.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243

The effectiveness of some traditional vaccines, as we all know, can be less than ideal. The target set by the FDA for covid vaccines was 50 percent. Both mRNA vaccines blow that number apart at 95%. GSK/Sanofi just announced a delay in their vaccine development when their trials showed a lack of immune response.

It may come down to whichever vaccine an individual has access to, at least initially.

Year 10: approve, manufacture, and distribute the vaccine to the masses
Just because a drug has been approved for use, it does not mean that it is safe. On average, 4500 drugs and devices are recalled every year:
FDA Recalls

On average, about 4,500 drugs and devices are pulled from U.S. shelves each year. The recalled products have U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval and in many cases, are widely ingested, injected or implanted before being recalled. Although the FDA may identify concerns regarding the safety of a drug, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to initiate and execute a recall. On the other hand, the FDA can mandate the recall of a device.

As a consumer, it is important to be aware of devices or drugs that may affect your health. In 2017 alone, manufacturers recalled 4,402 drug and device products, according to the Center for Devices and Radiological Health and the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Of those recalls, the FDA classified 139 as Class I. Class I recalled products have the potential to cause serious harm or death.

“The long list of drug recalls on FDA website is evidence that still industries are not following the standard guidelines issued by FDA,” doctors Upendra Nagaich and Divya Sadhna wrote in a study published in 2015 in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation.

FDA Recalls - How Dangerous Drugs & Devices are Recalled

Тhat number is staggering!

Big pharmaceutical companies have been proven to have been bribing physicians and suppressing adverse trial results:

Pfizer has been a “habitual offender,” persistently engaging in illegal and corrupt marketing practices, bribing physicians and suppressing adverse trial results. Since 2002 the company and its subsidiaries have been assessed $3 billion in criminal convictions, civil penalties and jury awards. The $2.3-billion settlement in September 2009 – a month before Dr. Prigent's appointment – set a new record for both criminal fines and total penalties.

Tough on Crime? Pfizer and the CIHR.

So if you want to believe that a drug is safe to use, just because a big pharma company that is about to turn a huge profit says so, go right ahead.

Just because a drug has been approved for use, it does not mean that it is safe. On average, 4500 drugs and devices are recalled every year:
FDA Recalls

FDA Recalls - How Dangerous Drugs & Devices are Recalled

Тhat number is staggering!

Big pharmaceutical companies have been proven to have been bribing physicians and suppressing adverse trial results:

Tough on Crime? Pfizer and the CIHR.

So if you want to believe that a drug is safe to use, just because a big pharma company that is about to turn a huge profit says so, go right ahead.

I've worked in the industry for close to 30 years. If you want to believe your horribly one-side perspective that is your right. But you cannot ignore the incredible good that the pharmaceutical/biotech industry has done and continues to do for mankind each and every day. What we do involves using science to tackle some of the most complicated problems the world faces each and every day. That is neither easy nor cheap.

Yes, the Pfizer vaccine will be the first to receive FDA approval but mRNA therapies/vaccines have been under development since the 90’s. Another interesting read. Note this was published in 2018, precovid.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243

The effectiveness of some traditional vaccines, as we all know, can be less than ideal. The target set by the FDA for covid vaccines was 50 percent. Both mRNA vaccines blow that number apart at 95%. GSK/Sanofi just announced a delay in their vaccine development when their trials showed a lack of immune response.

It may come down to whichever vaccine an individual has access to, at least initially.
Thanks, I've read reviews like this. Note, however, that, for example, introduction of pseudouridine and/or 1-methylpseudouridine into the RNA to suppress interferon induction dates from 2008 and 2015, respectively. If my understanding of FDA is correct, an introduction of such significant modifications means starting the approval process from zero, so nothing done in the 90's matters.

I haven't been tested, SWMBO got tested (negative result) some time ago. If she's positive, I'm positive. If I'm positive, she's positive.

Me, I'm lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you see it; working exclusively from home sucks only marginally less than being out of work unless you're out of work) to have been working more or less from home since March. Plus socially distancing.

When the highlight of the week is the weekly grocery shopping...

Both mRNA vaccines blow that number apart at 95%.

Another interesting thing I was reading is that the mRNA vaccines appear to actually be easier to manufacture than traditional vaccines. That's good news for the huge number of doses the world will need!

I've worked in the industry for close to 30 years. If you want to believe your horribly one-side perspective that is your right. But you cannot ignore the incredible good that the pharmaceutical/biotech industry has done and continues to do for mankind each and every day. What we do involves using science to tackle some of the most complicated problems the world faces each and every day. That is neither easy nor cheap.
Coming out with new drugs is super expensive. About 10 years ago, a woman I knew who worked in the industry said in the clinical trials, it was $16000 per pill!

the mRNA vaccines appear to actually be easier to manufacture than traditional vaccines.
That doesn't help the 3rd world countries where keeping the vaccine at -80C poses... certain challenges.

We aren't out of this crap until everybody can be effectively vaccinated. Including those who live in a shed in a 3rd world African village and those living in the Brazil favelas. I won't be holding my breath.

I've worked in the industry for close to 30 years. If you want to believe your horribly one-side perspective that is your right.
There is nothing to "believe". These are the hard numbers and facts that I have provided, but you can stick your head in the sand if you prefer.

But you cannot ignore the incredible good that the pharmaceutical/biotech industry has done and continues to do for mankind each and every day.
Now you are twisting what was said. Nobody has tried to deny the many benefits the pharma industry has brought about over the decades. People are simply pointing out that this vaccine is being rushed, and that, because of it, its safety is dubious.
Yet their words are being twisted and taken out of context, seeking to discredit them.
One participant even said "crackpot theory" - not nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom