Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did swim on my back during that last dive so didn’t use the snorkel but that won’t always be the case I’m sure. If there’s a a longer swim involved, I’ll do it face down as I want to see what’s below me for obvious reasons.

Jacket BCDs tend to suck at swimming on your front on the surface. Back-inflates/BP&Ws are much better at it, plus they don't push you up as high as the jackets when floating vertically. So you may get more use out of your snorkel with one of those, than with a jacket BCD. (However you can swim on your back in a back-inflate just as easily as in a jacket.)

FWIW I leave my snorkel in the bag. If it looks like I need to take it on a dive, I'll clip it off to the webbing until I actually need it, but so far I have never done that.

I have a dry snorkel - haven't used it diving over my last 100 dives. When I used it, it seemed to twist whenever doing an entry from a boat, so always had to straighten it out before doing anything else. More importantly, to me, was that he hinge/plastic piece at the top of the snorkel as well as the mask clip took a beating - the mask clip doesn't attach as secure as it should, but I still use it for snorkeling.

You will learn what's best for you as you get more dives in. I've found that mostly doing boat dives, the snorkel is not saving any significant amount of air before the dive, and after the dive on the surface, I'm either okay with an inflated BC in calm water or I'm keeping the reg in my mouth if the water is a little choppy.

And now for a reason to keep a snorkel - on a trip to Aruba, I was exposed to several new experiences:
1. Most of he dives we did were my first drift dives
2. DM would dive with the divers for about 20 minutes and then leave to go back to the boat to pick you up where he thought you would come up.
3. On my 23rd dive ever, my buddy (a friend I still dive with today) and I were the only 2 divers and, per usual, were left after 20 minutes with the direction of keeping the reef on our right. The water had the least viz of any dive I'd done to that point (20-30 ft - my first 22 dives were all pretty good.) We were still rookies having done 12 dives together prior to this dive. As we were nearing the end of the dive, I knew I was running very low on air but still had enough as we swam at about 15-20 feet for our safety stop before surfacing. As we surfaced I had nothing in the tank and the boat wasn't near us. I honestly don't remember if I used the snorkel or just floated waiting for a pickup. Maybe a little of both.

I have a dry snorkel - haven't used it diving over my last 100 dives. When I used it, it seemed to twist whenever doing an entry from a boat, so always had to straighten it out before doing anything else. More importantly, to me, was that he hinge/plastic piece at the top of the snorkel as well as the mask clip took a beating - the mask clip doesn't attach as secure as it should, but I still use it for snorkeling.

You will learn what's best for you as you get more dives in. I've found that mostly doing boat dives, the snorkel is not saving any significant amount of air before the dive, and after the dive on the surface, I'm either okay with an inflated BC in calm water or I'm keeping the reg in my mouth if the water is a little choppy.

And now for a reason to keep a snorkel - on a trip to Aruba, I was exposed to several new experiences:
1. Most of he dives we did were my first drift dives
2. DM would dive with the divers for about 20 minutes and then leave to go back to the boat to pick you up where he thought you would come up.
3. On my 23rd dive ever, my buddy (a friend I still dive with today) and I were the only 2 divers and, per usual, were left after 20 minutes with the direction of keeping the reef on our right. The water had the least viz of any dive I'd done to that point (20-30 ft - my first 22 dives were all pretty good.) We were still rookies having done 12 dives together prior to this dive. As we were nearing the end of the dive, I knew I was running very low on air but still had enough as we swam at about 15-20 feet for our safety stop before surfacing. As we surfaced I had nothing in the tank and the boat wasn't near us. I honestly don't remember if I used the snorkel or just floated waiting for a pickup. Maybe a little of both.
Jacket BCDs tend to suck at swimming on your front on the surface. Back-inflates/BP&Ws are much better at it, plus they don't push you up as high as the jackets when floating vertically. So you may get more use out of your snorkel with one of those, than with a jacket BCD. (However you can swim on your back in a back-inflate just as easily as in a jacket.)

FWIW I leave my snorkel in the bag. If it looks like I need to take it on a dive, I'll clip it off to the webbing until I actually need it, but so far I have never done that.

Even with my limited experience, I’ve seen I will likely want the back inflate etc you speak of.
When I read posts and comments as was presented in this thread where people attack a basic piece of gear because they confuse it with other piece of gear or not feel comfortable using it in water, I wonder if this is the result of the watering down the content and depth of what is taught in dive courses over the last two or so decades. In the past, still today for some of us, skin diving skills were very essential and went hand in had with scuba diving skills in any entry level scuba course. Today, most of the entry level courses hardly teach anything about skin diving skills, not even basic rudimentary skills. Practically all scuba instructors who teach in my area don't spend more than 3 - 5 hours at the most in teaching ALL skills in confined water in their "Openwater" scuba course. There is no chance in hell that anyone can learn and master all skills including basic skin diving skills in such short time. It will be natural and expected for people to come out from these courses not comfortable with the basic snorkeling skills and not even liking these skills. The graduates of these course will have difficulties performing these skills safely and correctly. The resulting tendency will be to criticize the equipment and put down the necessity of using them or performing the related skills. It is in fact much easier to do mask clearing while on scuba (or any other skill) than while breath hold using skin diving equipment only. When one didn't receive the proper instructions on how to use their equipment, skin diving equipment in this case, and didn't have sufficient time to practice and become comfortable with the use of the equipment, it is only natural and is expected for the diver to "dislike" the equipment and the skills.

I have no issue with using or having it with me just so you know. Im here to learn. Cheers

I have no issue with using or having it with me just so you know. Im here to learn. Cheers

My post wasn't directed to you at all, it was meant as a general observation on what some others have said in this thread and the MANY other threads that discuss the same topic, To use a snorkel or not to use a snorkel. :)

I haven't read all the responses. Only the first ten or so. Stellar advice so far. Here's my take:

A snorkel is totally up to you. After my Open Water certification I wore one every dive. I stopped wearing a snorkel after taking Fundies for the exact reasons stated here. It would get in the way of the long hose during an out of air donation.

I now carry a fold up snorkel with me for emergencies or high seas, all those reasons you might want or need one. I'd probably still wear a snorkel if it weren't for the long hose.

The thing is, they are a handy tool and can be quite necessary and there good reasons to have one. There are also good reasons to conscientiously not use one.

Jacket BCDs tend to suck at swimming on your front on the surface.

Never had a problem doing that in mine. Then again where you weights are placed helps.

When I read posts and comments as was presented in this thread where people attack a basic piece of gear because they confuse it with other piece of gear or not feel comfortable using it in water, I wonder if this is the result of the watering down the content and depth of what is taught in dive courses over the last two or so decades. In the past, still today for some of us, skin diving skills were very essential and went hand in had with scuba diving skills in any entry level scuba course. Today, most of the entry level courses hardly teach anything about skin diving skills, not even basic rudimentary skills. Practically all scuba instructors who teach in my area don't spend more than 3 - 5 hours at the most in teaching ALL skills in confined water in their "Openwater" scuba course. There is no chance in hell that anyone can learn and master all skills including basic skin diving skills in such short time. It will be natural and expected for people to come out from these courses not comfortable with the basic snorkeling skills and not even liking these skills. The graduates of these course will have difficulties performing these skills safely and correctly. The resulting tendency will be to criticize the equipment and put down the necessity of using them or performing the related skills. It is in fact much easier to do mask clearing while on scuba (or any other skill) than while breath hold using skin diving equipment only. When one didn't receive the proper instructions on how to use their equipment, skin diving equipment in this case, and didn't have sufficient time to practice and become comfortable with the use of the equipment, it is only natural and is expected for the diver to "dislike" the equipment and the skills.

Skin diving equipment and skills are awesome ... for skin diving. Why must they be combined with scuba diving? I choose not to wear a snorkel while on scuba because I’m scuba diving not skin diving. The snorkel causes drag in current, flutters annoyingly when attached to a mask but not actually used (mouth piece in the mouth), gets in the way of a long hose, and serves no useful purpose for the diving I do. It has nothing to do with me not knowing how to use it. I use it for snorkeling and free diving which I know how to do just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom