Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get to depth, and see how convenient it is to breath through it.
Huh?

A snorkel only works at the surface. If you don't know that, hand in your dive cert. But it might come in quite handy at the surface.

Figuring the OP is a troll, I'll skip reading all replies and just say put a foldable one in your BC pocket if you want, get the best of both worlds, and stop taking up internet space.....

Actually the op is a new diver genuinely seeking feedback and if you’re not willing to be nice, you know what you can do.

Thanks to all for your helpful feedback and it’s been very much appreciated.

My take aways- I will use it for now as I’m a beginner. I have a hard one that isn’t really a pain so far. I will get a collapsible one for my pocket further down the line just in case as that sounds like a good idea. I’m a firm believer in having something in case rather than not at all. That’s with everything I do in life. It won’t take up much room and the ones in training were soft and easy to stash I believe.
I did swim on my back during that last dive so didn’t use the snorkel but that won’t always be the case I’m sure. If there’s a a longer swim involved, I’ll do it face down as I want to see what’s below me for obvious reasons.

My take aways- I will use it for now as I’m a beginner. I have a hard one that isn’t really a pain so far. I will get a collapsible one for my pocket further down the line just in case as that sounds like a good idea. I’m a firm believer in having something in case rather than not at all. That’s with everything I do in life. It won’t take up much room and the ones in training were soft and easy to stash I believe.
I did swim on my back during that last dive so didn’t use the snorkel but that won’t always be the case I’m sure. If there’s a a longer swim involved, I’ll do it face down as I want to see what’s below me for obvious reasons.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

A lot of things are personal preference so go with what makes you happy, as long as it's not a safety issue.

A bit of casual free diving can only improve you scuba skills and comfort in the water and is a great way to pass an hour in the shallows. Don’t bother clipping the snorkel to the mask strap it’s a nuisance, instead slide it under the strap, get something simple, wide enough to breath easy but narrow enough to clear with one breath.

My silicone one collapses

When I read posts and comments as was presented in this thread where people attack a basic piece of gear because they confuse it with other piece of gear or not feel comfortable using it in water, I wonder if this is the result of the watering down the content and depth of what is taught in dive courses over the last two or so decades. In the past, still today for some of us, skin diving skills were very essential and went hand in had with scuba diving skills in any entry level scuba course. Today, most of the entry level courses hardly teach anything about skin diving skills, not even basic rudimentary skills. Practically all scuba instructors who teach in my area don't spend more than 3 - 5 hours at the most in teaching ALL skills in confined water in their "Openwater" scuba course. There is no chance in hell that anyone can learn and master all skills including basic skin diving skills in such short time. It will be natural and expected for people to come out from these courses not comfortable with the basic snorkeling skills and not even liking these skills. The graduates of these course will have difficulties performing these skills safely and correctly. The resulting tendency will be to criticize the equipment and put down the necessity of using them or performing the related skills. It is in fact much easier to do mask clearing while on scuba (or any other skill) than while breath hold using skin diving equipment only. When one didn't receive the proper instructions on how to use their equipment, skin diving equipment in this case, and didn't have sufficient time to practice and become comfortable with the use of the equipment, it is only natural and is expected for the diver to "dislike" the equipment and the skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom