Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The snorkel causes drag in current, .

Sure it does lol. I like having my snorkel with me.

JIM WHICH WAY UP.jpg

Good for you. Feel free to have it with you. I’ll choose to leave mine at home with my snorkeling gear.

Well often dives finish above reefs for me so I can just hand my dive kit to the boat crew and just continue on snorkeling at the dive sites. :)

My post wasn't directed to you at all, it was meant as a general observation on what some others have said in this thread and the MANY other threads that discuss the same topic, To use a snorkel or not to use a snorkel. :)

That’s what I thought but I was just mentioning it anyway.

Taking skin diving gear scuba diving is plain stupid. If you need it, put your regulator in your mouth.

So mask, snorkel, wet suits, weight belts and weights, fins, booties, gloves all used for skin diving.

"Taking that gear scuba diving is plain stupid".

Got it.

I learned by experience the hard way that you don't need a snorkeling snorkel for diving, meaning my regular dry snorkel that doesn't fold up. In my early days, after my mask was leaking and fogging up so much, it was suggested to me by someone more experienced that having a rigid snorkel attached to your mask creates a bit of a drag or resistance on your mask thereby breaking the seal around your face. Problem solved. I no longer dive with a snorkel attached, but I have a cheap rollup snorkel ($11 USD on Amazon) in my BCD pocket for the "just in case" situation on the surface. I always travel with my snorkeling snorkel on the boat. There are some occasions during a surface interval that you may get to snorkel. A couple of years ago in Cozumel, during our surface interval, a friendly sea turtle was hanging around our boat, so I slipped quietly into the water with just my mask and snorkel and had a close interaction with this sea turtle. It was pretty cool!

. In my early days, after my mask was leaking and fogging up so much, it was suggested to me by someone more experienced that having a rigid snorkel attached to your mask creates a bit of a drag or resistance on your mask thereby breaking the seal around your face.

No it doesn't. Makes no difference to the seal for a mask and I dive into plenty of strong currents. Fogging up certainly has nothing to do with having a snorkel attached.

Cutting devices and surface signaling devices are very useful things to have when diving, and they can be lifesaving. I always carry them, but it never occurred to me to attach them to my mask.

I personally never do the kind of diving where you would actually need a snorkel (long surface swim), but it seems like a reasonable thing to take for that very small subset of divers who do that. I'm not sure why the major dive agency feels that they are required for EVERY dive, but I'm not an instructor or anything.

Yes, I suppose that IF you had a long wait for a boat you could use one, but I'm still not sure I understand why that would be helpful. Are we talking about an "Open Water" type situation where you have to constantly look for sharks for several hours? Otherwise just float on the surface. Even with long waits, I never felt the need for a snorkel. You use so little gas on the surface, that unless you surface with a near empty tank, you should have plenty of gas to use your reg for the occasional glance underwater. Or just hold your breath when you want to look down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom