I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking.... cheapest I can find is on eBay for $946 for pre-owned. That’s much much more than I am willing to spend especially now, if international travel (dive trip) will be suspended or at the very least, difficult to accomplish. I am looking though.

A former student of my found a used Teric on some Apple App on his phone for $700.

I am looking.... cheapest I can find is on eBay for $946 for pre-owned. That’s much much more than I am willing to spend especially now, if international travel (dive trip) will be suspended or at the very least, difficult to accomplish. I am looking though.
And, therein lies the problem, for you today. At the moment, Shearwater 'owns the game' as far as DCs go. At one time, Suunto 'owned the game'. At one time, Dive Rite 'owned the game'. At one time, Liquivision 'owned the game'. It is a matter of supply and demand, and - right now - demand for Shearwater exceeds supply, at least in the 'used' market. You will probably not find much in the way of 'bargains' on used Shearwater computers right now. Next year, who knows? :)

Yes, I love my Perdix - I can read it / see it clearly UW. And, the company is reasonably stable. But, you will pay a certain premium for Shearwater right now, because they are in demand. That is not in ANY way a criticism of Shearwater, rather it is a compliment. And, many (of us) would say, 'The price is worth the value.' Of course, I can say it since my price is a bit lower than retail. :)

And, therein lies the problem, for you today. At the moment, Shearwater 'owns the game' as far as DCs go. At one time, Suunto 'owned the game'. At one time, Dive Rite 'owned the game'. At one time, Liquivision 'owned the game'. It is a matter of supply and demand, and - right now - demand for Shearwater exceeds supply, at least in the 'used' market. You will probably not find much in the way of 'bargains' on used Shearwater computers right now. Next year, who knows? :)

Yes, I love my Perdix - I can read it / see it clearly UW. And, the company is reasonably stable. But, you will pay a certain premium for Shearwater right now, because they are in demand. That is not in ANY way a criticism of Shearwater, rather it is a compliment. And, many (of us) would say, 'The price is worth the value.' Of course, I can say it since my price is a bit lower than retail. :)

While I agree with your statement that the status quo changes constantly, there is a point where you really reach a maximum and anything more becomes sales bait.
If you look at cell phones you can see that they maxed out the technology about 3-4 years ago and now it's all about marginally better cameras and faster CPUs. All of which do very little to enhance the experience for the average user.

IMHO Teric is just about at the peak of what is needed. Yes it would be nice if it had a GPS and built in maps and maybe that will be something they add to the Teric II.
I think that adding those features would probably shorten the battery life, but who knows, maybe than can eek out some power saving on other parts of the Teric.

The Garmin Mk2i is a nice DC but it does so many things that it feels like an overload.
The size is very close to the Teric and I just don't see myself going jogging with a Teric sized watch on my wrist. I would rather use a separate much smaller and lighter fitness watch for that.

One thing that could be a game changer is long range sonar. It's nice that Garmin added this for the AI but it would be even nicer if the range was 100m and not 10m. Even nicer if they made a boat computer with a sonar interface that could monitor all the divers systems while they are in the water. Another cool sonar feature which would be especially nice for a Perdix II form factor is underwater 2 way texting using sonar. I know it was done with another device before but oh how I would love to see Shearwaters version of this.

Why 'status" has anything to do with scuba equipment?

Just like wearing a Rolex or similar in which a $5.00 cheapie can also give accurate time.

I doubt it does. I imagine the divers who'd know what a Teric or Garmin Mk2 are wouldn't be impressed with someone on the basis the person owned such. Granted, another diver might think your gadget is neat, but most of us won't pay much for that. But how many divers and staff you encounter on a dive boat are people you'll have significant ongoing social contact with?

Brand reputation, on the other hand, matters. Some brands legitimately earn a strong reputation, and that's persuasive to many buyers.

Just like wearing a Rolex or similar in which a $5.00 cheapie can also give accurate time.

What comment are you exactly commenting on?

It looks like he was referring to Robbyg’s post above. Robby mentioned status quo referring to the tech of dive computers. I didn’t read that at all to imply dive computers as status symbols.

That's what I was thinking, and like you I did not read the comment that way either.

It looks like he was referring to Robbyg’s post above. Robby mentioned status quo referring to the tech of dive computers. I didn’t read that at all to imply dive computers as status symbols.
I was referring to the tech in the dive computers and not their use as a status symbol.
Does anyone ever care what someone is diving with? I sometimes will ask another diver on the boat about equipment they may own, just for an opinion but I never feel envious. I also never judge Divers by equipment as I have seen to many cases of the high tech guy being the least capable diver and the guy with the most basic equipment being the most skilled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom