Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not gonna lie, the Shearwater is extremely tempting. I love computers with the colour display (personal preference), as the dot matrix ones look outdated.

Seems like the Peregrine would be a good choice to get me from my first dive all the way to starting off technical diving.

Quick other question though, is air integration or a digital compass useful? I like simplifying things, having everything on one device, but would that be more things that could go wrong? I know the Peregrine doesn't have a compass or AI, but was just wondering if it would be worth getting a dive computer with those functions.

Not gonna lie, the Shearwater is extremely tempting. I love computers with the colour display (personal preference), as the dot matrix ones look outdated.

Seems like the Peregrine would be a good choice to get me from my first dive all the way to starting off technical diving.

Quick other question though, is air integration or a digital compass useful? I like simplifying things, having everything on one device, but would that be more things that could go wrong? I know the Peregrine doesn't have a compass or AI, but was just wondering if it would be worth getting a dive computer with those functions.
In my opinion AI makes sense only if the computer's algorithm factors your air consumption in the deco calculations.
And currently only top models from Scubapro have this feature, in my knowledge.
As I keep my computer in a console, together with the pressure gauge, there is no advantage to have the air pressure displayed on the computer instead of watching simply the analogue meter beside it, which is much more immediate and more fail-proof.
People still keeping the computer on the wrist possibly prefer to have the air pressure on the display, as for them watching the SPG requires a different manoeuvre than watching the computer.
I am too old for being able to read the small text on a watch-style wrist computer, I need a large colour screen, and to have it on the console, so I can keep it at a greater eye distance than my wrist.

I’m probably not typical as I’ve only ever used AI DCs. Dove for years without a DC, then got an AI console computer. Perdix is my 2nd hoseless AI computer. I’ve found it to be useful, especially in wrist mount configuration. There is something to be said about having your most important information all in one place. Having it in the downloaded log is helpful as well, as you can see changes in consumption that correlate to certain parts of the dive.

I don’t really use the digital compass, so that’s less important to me. Analog wrist mount compass is unobtrusive and cheap.

For me, AI is on the must have list. Is it needed for a safe dive? No. I’ve gotten used to the convenience, so really won’t consider a computer purchase without AI.

sort of. having the AI and compass on the perdix/teric is useful to some, but it gets less useful if you are used to using a wrist compass and you know your RMV well enough to only check the spg a handful of times on a dive.

In my opinion AI makes sense only if the computer's algorithm factors your air consumption in the deco calculations.
And currently only top models from Scubapro have this feature,.

Huh so what about the Teric and Perdix AI?

This happened during pre-COVID period, right? :wink:
Right here, local, all locals, we are allowed to dive as we have done "the right thing" here , not traveled, if flying in or out of Oz, if you have to, have a bloody good reason to do so.
Look at the statistics for Australia, unlike some places?
I have an idea Dan, catch a plane if you can find a seat on one [Australians struggle to find a seat home if stuck overseas], you may be "in the know" and will find a way, you are not from a hot spot, go into Mandatory quarantine for 14 days [could be more, depends] in my area, be tested I don't know how many times, and I will take you for a great local dive.
You are all welcome to dive in The Sunshine State [we need the money].

Hi @Robbyg

I think @Angelo Farina is alluding to the Scubapro Buhlmann ZH-L8 or 16 ADT MB decompression algorithm that takes respiratory rate into account in the calculation. Scubapro's "human factors" can also include heart rate and skin temperature if you use a model that allows for use of the chest strap monitor.

The deco algorithm is proprietary and is only used by Scubapro. I have tried to find information on how respiratory rate and/or heart rate and skin temperature are incorporated, but have been unable to to do so. I believe that Scubapro is the only company to incorporate these factors into their decompression algorithm.

Right here, local, all locals, we are allowed to dive as we have done "the right thing" here , not traveled, if flying in or out of Oz, if you have to, have a bloody good reason to do so.
I have an idea Dan, catch a plane if you can find a seat on one [Australians struggle to find a seat home if stuck overseas], you may be "in the know" and will find a way, you are not from a hot spot, go into Mandatory quarantine for 14 days [could be more, depends] in my area, be tested I don't know how many times, and I will take you for great local dive.

Watching the Blackcaps thrash Oz with crowds unmasked in Dunedin drives me crazy with envy.

I have an idea Dan, catch a plane if you can find a seat on one [Australians struggle to find a seat home if stuck overseas], you may be "in the know" and will find a way, you are not from a hot spot, go into Mandatory quarantine for 14 days [could be more, depends] in my area, be tested I don't know how many times, and I will take you for great local dive.

Thanks for the invite. My girlfriend lives in Sydney. So, I know a bit on what’s going there. Also, I’ve been to Cod Hole with Mike Ball’s Spoil Sport liveaboard. Diving to SS Yongala & with Minke Whale are in my bucket list next time I visit Australia.

Back
Top Bottom