GUE - What is their standard for what is in pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

depends on the tool. Which in particular and what's the dive plan?

Just a wrench and a screwdriver to fix regs, tank rigging, and such.

Typical cave dive plan about 2 hour run time.

Where do tools fall into the safety vs utility world?
Do you plan to use it? Does it fit?

Planned = left, unplanned = right.

Sometimes I carry so much "safety" stuff like mask, safety spool, wrench, multitool, spare wet notes, backup primary light head, mouthpiece, RB converter, dye pack, GPS/radio, etc that it all just doesn't fit in my right pocket.

Communicate with your buddy and have some logic for what you do.

Standard was on my last course:
Safety right:
Wetnotes
Backupmask
Safetyspool (caves)
Towcord (Scooter, Caves)

Utility Left:
SMB
Spool (SMB)
Spools (Caves)
Pig-tail (Caves)
Catch-net
Whatever you think you are going to need on the dive

Where's the spare SMB kept? One SMB per diver; being essential kit that means you need a backup.

Where's the spare SMB kept? One SMB per diver; being essential kit that means you need a backup.
Usually, as they would dive as a team, the team would need only one SMB. And hence have two spares in the team. If you still need more, there is room to store SMBs in the storagepack on your plate...

Usually, as they would dive as a team, the team would need only one SMB. And hence have two spares in the team. If you still need more, there is room to store SMBs in the storagepack on your plate...

Not on (most of) our dive boats. It's one per diver so the skipper can count them all out and count them all back.

Is it easy to use those "storagepacks"?

Have recently given up using finger spools for SMBs. The endless faff of knitting a knot around the double-ender so it doesn't jump off when the spool bounces up and down. After foolishly dropping the spool -- not once, but twice on the same dive -- I called it a day. Now use a Custom Divers mini-reel which isn't much larger than an Apeks spool and fits in the pocket attached to the SMB. This also solves the other problem; putting the thing away when you're on the surface...

7 - twist, clip, twirl, twirl again.jpg

8g - done.jpg

I’ll keep a SMB in my pocket and another one in the backplate pad if I feel I need two.

One per diver is generally enough. To need a backup you’d have to lose your team (oof) and lose your SMB as well (double oof).

Unlikely.

Not on (most of) our dive boats. It's one per diver so the skipper can count them all out and count them all back.

Is it easy to use those "storagepacks"?

Have recently given up using finger spools for SMBs. The endless faff of knitting a knot around the double-ender so it doesn't jump off when the spool bounces up and down. After foolishly dropping the spool -- not once, but twice on the same dive -- I called it a day. Now use a Custom Divers mini-reel which isn't much larger than an Apeks spool and fits in the pocket attached to the SMB.

Wouldnt the skipper be able to count them all back on the boat? Sounds risky to have 3 divers close to eachother with 3 SMBs...

Haven't had any problems with spools and buoys and skippers in Norway luckily seems to see sense

Wouldnt the skipper be able to count them all back on the boat? Sounds risky to have 3 divers close to eachother with 3 SMBs...

Haven't had any problems with spools and buoys and skippers in Norway luckily seems to see sense

That's the thing with the synchronised diving club; fine for them, but not good for the skipper who needs to know that they can drift with the pack as soon as the last diver's bag comes up.

There's nothing dangerous about 3 bags/lines for 3 divers; they rarely tangle, and if they do it'll unwind when they ascend. Something to do on deco.

What is GUE's standard on what goes in what pockets? I understand there is a safety pocket and a utility pocket. I thought I understood what went in what but after watch a GUE YouTube vid I may have been mistaken.

If this has been spoken of already please point the way. I did a search before asking and found nothing.
GUE's a little more strict about this than other agencies. The one thing you can't have in your pockets is money. You must turn that over to an instructor ASAP.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom