Question about diving after Lasik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife had Lasik done today on 07/30. We have a dive trip planned for shallow reef dives in Key Largo in 2 weeks. Doctor was not a diver so he suggested reaching out to DAN. I have emailed DAN medics but they are closed till Monday. We planned on not going deeper than 40 feet. She is a new OW diver. Looking for what others think or have first hand knowledge...Thanks!

When I had PRK last year I was told to wait 1 month before diving. Talk to her surgeon and see when it would be safe to open her eyes underwater. My surgeon said that was the limiting factor. Granted PRK and lasik are different but I suspect the delay would be similar or even the same.

We planned this trip for 9 months. She has wanted Lasik for the past 47 years so when an appt opened up she took it without thinking

Wish I could help you. I had Lasik 25 or so years ago.

Can’t remember how soon after that I went diving, but I was doing two to three trips a year to Cozumel, and don’t remember missing a dive.

If memory serves me right, concerns should be regarding exposure of the eyes to salt water should a mask issue occur.

Good Luck to your wife!

Best I could find was this. Laser Vision Correction FAQs, Frequently Asked Questions - UCLA Laser Refractive Center - Los Angeles, CA

When will I be able to exercise (yoga, gym activities, running, etc.)?

It is recommended that you avoid water activities, contact sports, and heaving lifting for up to 2 weeks. You can resume mild exercise after 1 week but avoid getting water or sweat in your eyes.

When after surgery can I swim?

It should be safe 2 weeks after surgery. It is best to wear swimming goggles to keep the chlorine or ocean water out of the eyes.

When after surgery can I swim?

It should be safe 2 weeks after surgery. It is best to wear swimming goggles to keep the chlorine or ocean water out of the eyes.
That is consistent with what I was told many years ago. That is what I did, to the day, and all was good.

I am not a doctor but a good friend had an eye operation, rushed it, and ended up with 4-5 more surgeries and has permanent vision damage. It is just not worth it-- the Keys will still be there in a month or so unless the ice keeps melting.

I had it in 2005. Ironically, my OW course was scheduled about 2 weeks later. I was also told that after 2 weeks water activity was OK. Nevertheless, I told the instructor I wouldn't open my eyes underwater in the pool for the mask drills (didn't want to do that anyway for the chlorine/ph stinging in the eyes). Had to wear special dark sunglasses outside for the first week as well. Recall having the "rings" around street lights at night for the 6 months they said it would last.

When I had mine done, the info that I was given stated that I must avoid 'contact' sports (boxing) for 1 month.
I think that clean salt water would be beneficial, followed by lots of the prescribed eye drops after each dive, but diving 2 weeks postop is certainly pushing it. If the outer layer of the cornea moves or wrinkles she will become very unhappy, unless she can see a very good LASIK surgeon within a couple of hours.
It's kind of like telling people that the Corona immunization is good for them, if they can't follow good advice, they should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Michael

My wife had Lasik done today on 07/30. We have a dive trip planned for shallow reef dives in Key Largo in 2 weeks. Doctor was not a diver so he suggested reaching out to DAN. I have emailed DAN medics but they are closed till Monday. We planned on not going deeper than 40 feet. She is a new OW diver. Looking for what others think or have first hand knowledge...Thanks!

You may have already received a message back from DAN, but I'm guessing the answer would be that as long as she is cleared for full physical activity, she should be fine. The risk of diving too soon after the procedure would be trauma to the surgical area as suggested by @michael-fisch , though I would disagree that contact with ocean water would be beneficial.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom