Deaf Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt the Wonder Boy:
Hello from Matt,

Welcome to ScubaBoard ! :1poke: I came here to look for help with my scuba diving dream and the response has been fantastic. So, I know you will enjoy being a member here.
There are a lot of nice and informative scuba divers. It's a good place to meet other divers and share experiences and dreams. Take care from Matt. :snorkels:

I am seriously considering starting a side business where I bring deaf divers to places in the Keys, Roatan and Cozumel.
Paula Izzo

I am seriously starting a side business in which I bring deaf divers to the Florida Keys, Roatan Honduras and Cozumel. I have been signing since 1981 and am passionate about both diving and signing. I would include basic instruction about marine life to the dive trips since this is also a passion of mine. Paula Izzo

wildmtn:
Hello Steve,

I am deaf too, currently in college at RIT. RIT offered Open water certification course so I took it and absolutely loved it. :eek:) Will be going to south Florida for scuba dive trip - I hardly wait!!!!
Hi. My name is Paula. I have been signing since 1981. I am passionate about diving and sign language and am seriously considering starting a side business where I take deaf divers and hearing signers on dive trips to Florida Keys, Cozumel and Roatan Honduras. Do you think there is enough interest out there? If so, I will move forward on this concept.
Paula Izzo

I think that sounds great. I know I am always hearing about the deaf cruises and stuff organized around here, but never about dive trips. I would even love to see a dive shop that made a point of offering classes for the deaf... it's a great sport for the deaf and hearing alike! Again, you might want to check in with Diveheart in the Chicago area. I know they do have some things going, but I'm not sure what! :)

HI there. . .I am hearing impaired. .. have been for 38 + years. My hearing aids have been a huge asset to me. I have known some ASL but have let that slip away since I was not active with it. When I was young I taught myself to read lips, too. Anyway, I finally decided to get certified in diving a couple years ago ( my husband had only been after me for 20+ years!). My husband thinks I (we) should refresh ourselves so we can "talk" more underwater.

Whenever we go on boat trips, etc., I tell the divemaster I am hearing impaired and just to speak up a bit and I am usually fine. . . But underwater it is impossible to read lips!!! During the surface intervals, tho, I tend to feel left out because I can't wear my aids!!! And while in Maui diving, I can't hear the whales while diving!!! Sigh...

Just putting my two cents worth in. . . Take care, Maggi

Hey, that is so great! I have a friend whose deaf daughter is interested in scuba diving. I'm sure she will be inspired by someone like you!

What's interesting is that the original post's from january 2004. I wonder if steve's still lurking around.

anyways, i'm a deaf diver. i've been diving since last june - so far I've loved it! my dive buddy also is deaf, and we both communicate underwater as easily as on land. Other divers who were with us marveled how the advantage we have when we communicated under water - no need to waste time fooling with a pencil and pad, etc...

scubasigner - your idea of having a trip for deaf divers is interesting, however i believe that it will be tough to start. I believe that you'd have better chances of relocating into the dive paradise areas and sign up with all of the dive charters down there to be on call whenever a deaf/hearing impaired diver decides to sign with a dive charter. Even doing that route, i do not know alot of deaf people that actually dive on a regular basis. I've met many deaf people who say they're certified but havent dived since their classes which is sad in my opinion.

I am looking forward to dive trips in Ft.Launderdale/Miami/Key Largo during march 1-3rd . I did not tell the dive vendors that I was deaf, i wonder how they'll react if 2 deaf people shows up at the scheduled trip... now that'd be interesting.

AmyJ:
I would even love to see a dive shop that made a point of offering classes for the deaf... it's a great sport for the deaf and hearing alike!

it does exist :eyebrow: just have to be a RIT student and take the scuba course - RIT will provide the interpreter.

We have diving liveaboard trips with facilities for the deaf and hard of hearing on board at Worldwide Dive and Sail (www.worldwidediveandsail.com). The next trips with facilities for the deaf and hard of hearing are taking place this Easter 2005! So far, we have many deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing people joining us from all over the world (a large proportion from the US). Basically, our aim is to provide a natural environment for those with hearing losses so that they do not have to feel they may be cut out of conversations, i.e. dive briefs and courses as well as various other things like not to speak/sign with the sun behind you, lights on at night etc...

We have embarked on something unique because as far as I'm aware, there are no liveaboards which offer facilities for the deaf and hard of hearing. The response has been overwhelming from around the world. I am sure if you set up a deaf group in Florida/Mexico, it would work providing that you let deaf people know well in advance, so that they can book well in advance :)

About your comments about how people stop diving after they have completed their dive courses - this does not surprise me because it is one thing doing a course, and it is another to carry on diving with various dive clubs and liveaboards around the world. This is why we have embarked on providing facilities for the deaf and hard of hearing on a dive liveaboard - because we simply want people to have fun on holiday without the possible communication barrier.

Oh by the way, we sail around Thailand and Burma - amazing diving, including seahorses and whale sharks!

:))

That sounds really awesome... I would love to see something like that here!! Kudos to you for being the first!!!!! Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom