Deaf Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently in my second year of learning sign and have loved every minute. I am waiting for the day I am able to use what I have learned on a dive boat. I would love to meet more people and I think it could really help.

I alsot just got accpted to a divemaster intern program for the summer. I am interested in continuing my sign and hope to help teach deaf/HH divers.

-Matt

Hi Bob!

I am looking for other divers who are Deaf and hard of hearing (I have been looking for 4 years). I am a hard of hearing diver who is going deaf. I know a little ASL and I am learning more. I would love to join you and your buddy.

Where do you dive and live? Are you affiliated with any shops or clubs in the area?

I live in Redmond, WA.

Email me at diverbec@u.washington.edu

Hope to hear from you!

- Beck

NWGratefulDiver:
Howdy Steve ...

One of my regular dive buddies here in Puget Sound is deaf. He's a really good diver and an awesome dive buddy. He's tried to teach me some ASL, but I've never been good at languages so all I've picked up so far are the "basics". Some of our other dive buddies know ASL, and others have started to learn.

Welcome to Scubaboard ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi

Seems there are a lot of divers who are interested in diving with the deaf/hard of hearing, because of their increased level of communication abilities under the water, ASL included.

Even though I'm British, I'm currently learning SeaSigns which originates from ASL, and is different from British Sign Language.

I'm also a deaf divemaster, soon to be instructor and I'm working on a dive and sailing liveaboard in Thailand soon. I am offering facilities for the deaf and hard of hearing. This is also welcome to hearing divers because living in the hearing world, I know many hearing people love diving with the hard of hearing and/or deaf. Please feel free to e-mail me at naomi@worldwidediveandsail.com.

It is great to see there are deaf and hard of hearing divers out there!

Scuba_Signer:
Hello!

First time to this board. Saw a link in a Deaf BBS where someone else was looking for Deaf Divers to share their passion for diving.

I'm hard-of-hearing and am fluent in American Sign Language (ASL). I took my first dive trip on a live-aboard in the Bahamas last October. Obviously, I didn't jump in with my hearing aid, but missed talking with people naturally in sign language (above and below the surface). While underwater I had to force myself to use scuba signals, many of which were probably wrong.

Do we have many Deaf/HoH divers and ASL signers here?

Heading to Cozumel next month with a large group of "hearies" from home!

Sink-n-swim!,
Steve

Hello from Matt,

Welcome to ScubaBoard ! :1poke: I came here to look for help with my scuba diving dream and the response has been fantastic. So, I know you will enjoy being a member here.
There are a lot of nice and informative scuba divers. It's a good place to meet other divers and share experiences and dreams. Take care from Matt. :snorkels:

hi!

I am interested in meeting other people who are also fluent in sign language. It is frustrating that others can not talk under water like I can. WE HAVE THE ADVANTAGE!!!
Paula

Sorry, I can't help ya but welcome to the board! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I have had one year of ASL and can't wait to take more. My hubby/buddy won't learn it, though, because he enjoys the "peace and quiet" of diving.

I think he's trying to tell me I talk too much :D

Diverbec - when I get my schedule back to where I can take night classes again, I may e-mail you to see if we can get together and practice. I find my biggest obstacle is not having anyone to practice with outside of class.

Hello Steve,

I am deaf too, currently in college at RIT. RIT offered Open water certification course so I took it and absolutely loved it. :eek:) Will be going to south Florida for scuba dive trip - I hardly wait!!!!

Hi guys!! I know that diveheart (in chicago) had contacted me about coming along with them for a deaf dive trip to Florida, but then I don't know that it ever happened. I am an interpreter, (ASL, PSE and SEE), my degree is in ASL, but I am more comfortable in SEE which we use with my deaf daughter. (let's not debate the merit of the different systems, please!) :) I do really enjoy being able to communicate underwater with my husband dive buddy. I would go crazy with the limited dive sign info.

On my OW check out dives done in Mexico (my first open water diving of course) I was so excited about the fish... SO and I chatted, but I would want to share my excitement with the instructor... I would just wave my hands and finally give a "thumbs up" meaning " this is so cool!".... he would laugh into his reg and sign "UP?" (knowing that I didn't mean that) and then I would frantically shake my head!!! :)

I would love to know about any deaf dive trips. My deaf daughter is very interested, but is only five, so it will be awhile until she can dive.

Oh... And if you saw my other thread...
http://www.scubaboard.com/t85260-.html

One of the reasons we got involved with Angel Notion in Mexico is because they work with deaf kids there. We got to meet some of them, and learn some Mexican Sign Language. A few friend interpreters and I are working on our Mexican Sign Language and will be heading back down to do a mission trip and work with some of the families with deaf kids. These kids are often not found to be deaf until about 5 or 6... there is one teacher for the deaf for all of Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum and everything in between. So they have a couple of hours with a teacher to teach them a few signs... that's it... and nothing for the families to learn to communicate with them. It is really sad! We are really hoping to be able to get more involved and support the deaf kids there.

Anyway... let's keep in touch! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom