Deaf Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Signer

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

First time to this board. Saw a link in a Deaf BBS where someone else was looking for Deaf Divers to share their passion for diving.

I'm hard-of-hearing and am fluent in American Sign Language (ASL). I took my first dive trip on a live-aboard in the Bahamas last October. Obviously, I didn't jump in with my hearing aid, but missed talking with people naturally in sign language (above and below the surface). While underwater I had to force myself to use scuba signals, many of which were probably wrong.

Do we have many Deaf/HoH divers and ASL signers here?

Heading to Cozumel next month with a large group of "hearies" from home!

Sink-n-swim!,
Steve

Steve
Heading to Cozumel next month with a large group of "hearies" from home!
Thats to funny.
Welcome to the Scuba Board. I just found your post! good thing the scuba board is in letters, because you probably wouldnt want to hear in person what some of these people on the board would say anyway. just really glad you swam in. and looking forward to seeing some of your post.

Mike

Hello and welcome!
Must be quite difficult diving when the signals are different to sign language... Congratulations for doing it! I have to say that I only the the alphabet in sign language and that's hard enough for me to remember... Much respect to you for going for it. :)

Amy. x

Welcome,

I have always thought that those fluent in ASL would have a huge advantage underwater, and wondered why this wasn't a skill found more frequently among frequent divers. As a new diver myself the inability to "talk" to my buddy underwater is very frustraiting.

Have a great time in Cozumel, be sure to give us a trip report.

Howdy Steve ...

One of my regular dive buddies here in Puget Sound is deaf. He's a really good diver and an awesome dive buddy. He's tried to teach me some ASL, but I've never been good at languages so all I've picked up so far are the "basics". Some of our other dive buddies know ASL, and others have started to learn.

Welcome to Scubaboard ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Welcome to Scuba Board. Put us in your Favorites, and check in often.

You know - if you want to talk with other "Deaf/HoH divers and ASL signers"
I think I'd go to the Basic Scuba Diving forum, and post a new thread saying exactly that: "Any Deaf/HoH divers and ASL signers here??"

Here's a quick link: http://www.scubaboard.com/f2.html

don

rjens said
ASL would have a huge advantage underwater, and wondered why this wasn't a skill found more frequently among frequent divers. As a new diver myself the inability to "talk" to my buddy underwater is very frustraiting.
I do the standard pre-dive talk with my buddy. that would be so get Great to be able to talk UW and change the plan while you where UW.
Thanks Scuba_Signer for bringing to my attention this Great Idea!

Mike

GotAir:
rjens said

I do the standard pre-dive talk with my buddy. that would be so get Great to be able to talk UW and change the plan while you where UW.
Thanks Scuba_Signer for bringing to my attention this Great Idea!

Mike

ASL is really a great idea and something all divers should look at more closely. This thread reminded me of a day trip I took to lake Jocassee this past summer. There were three other divers at the ramp and the group leader introduced himself and informed us that the other two divers were both deaf. I'm sure we would all be jealous of their underwater communication. I know if was one time that I saw that the tables were turned... We, the "hearies" were the ones with a handicap or "challenged" depending on how you look at it I guess. Are there any sign classes or is it a self taught language? I'm obviously ignorant to signing... I was amazed over Christmas when my cousin's 2 year old son began showing us the sign language he knew. He is a "hearie" but his parents both have phd's in English and are professors so he's definately on the way to being an overachiever.

jamiei:
Are there any sign classes or is it a self taught language? I'm obviously ignorant to signing

Here is a thread to give you an idea just how widespread ASL is Georgia Tech . Don't know if you are in Atlanta. If not I ran a quick search on Yahoo for "ASL Georgia Classes" and got 1720 hits. My daughter took an ASL class at college (BYU) last semester and really enjoyed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom