Deaf Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to Scubaboard, Scuba Signer. How long have you been diving?

Last year, my youngest daughter, was in 3rd grade. Her class was taught to sign. And she goes to public school.
What I don't get is why there isn't a universal sign language. It's different in different countries.

Kat:
What I don't get is why there isn't a universal sign language. It's different in different countries.

Different words...?

DandyDon,
I know that there is American Sign Language, German, Swedish, Japanese etc...
There are different signs for the words.

This is my first post to the scuba board. I run a dive charter here in Destin Fl and have had a run in with a few Deaf Divers( Actually partially deaf). That got me into learning ASL. I was able to get thru the dive briefing and the divers had a blast. I also have used what limited ASL I have learned when i go diving and it has made diving with a partner more pleasurable. I wish I had learned ASL 24 yeads ago when i first started divng. Oh well, that is my 2 cents worth in.

Cliff

Plan your dive and dive your plan !!!

Kat:
Welcome to Scubaboard, Scuba Signer. How long have you been diving?

Last year, my youngest daughter, was in 3rd grade. Her class was taught to sign. And she goes to public school.

I certified in a cold quarry in Oct. '02. Took my first trip on the Aquacat in the Bahamas last October. Going to Cozumel during the last week of February with a group of 30+ to hook up with Dive Paradise. We'll also be able to catch the Cozumel Carnival!

Regarding universal sign language (Gestuno); there is one that is growing. I haven't been exposed to it, but here's a link for the curious: http://www.safat.com/gestuno.html

Steve

My girlfriend teaches deaf children. As a swap out, she'll teach me signing and I'll teach her diving. I work with some kick ass people that can't hear a word I say. Looking forward to talking to them.

This is way off thread. Just thought I'd add it.
Colin Berry

One of my diving friends took an ASL class at her college. I thought about taking one solely for the obvious benefit in diving. I think you should find a regular buddy and have them learn ASL! I always think about sign language when I'm pointing furiously at something in the water, just hoping my buddy will understand what I mean :p

Scuba_Signer:
Obviously, I didn't jump in with my hearing aid, but missed talking with people naturally in sign language (above and below the surface). While underwater I had to force myself to use scuba signals, many of which were probably wrong.
I came accross this link http://www.seasigns.com/ in another thread (actually in someone's profile I think). The SeaSigns looks interesting, but I haven't explored it too much. The idea of having a much richer vocabulary underwater is appealing.

-Rob

The significant other of my DM instructor developed an underwater sign class for SDI and it is recognised as a specialty. It is based on ASL.

It is amazing to watch the two of them work with a class. The signs are subtle, but the level of communication is awesome.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom