Deaf Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Signer:
Do we have many Deaf/HoH divers and ASL signers here?

a new friend in west palm uses asl while diving and is trying to encourage others. i think it's a fabulous idea!

yukoneer:
What's interesting is that the original post's from january 2004. I wonder if steve's still lurking around.

Hi all!!

YES, it's been a long surface interval! It's really great to see this thread expand with all your replies! It's been a year since my dive trip to Cozumel and I believe my original group is back down there now! I ran out of vacation time, but I'll soon accumulate more! So, I expect to plan another trip somewhere this year!

My wife is Deaf and teaches ASL at the university. She and I certified together, but we haven't been on a trip together! We hope to have an opportunity this summer to get away and hit the salt!

Steve - Scuba_Signer

AmyJ:
I think that sounds great. I know I am always hearing about the deaf cruises and stuff organized around here, but never about dive trips. I would even love to see a dive shop that made a point of offering classes for the deaf... it's a great sport for the deaf and hearing alike! Again, you might want to check in with Diveheart in the Chicago area. I know they do have some things going, but I'm not sure what! :)
I have been researching it extensively since it is a dream of mine and I have the finances now to do so. I have a friend who may open a scuba shop here in Florida and we are talking about focusing alot of our energies on the deaf. I will provide the trips and she will provide lessons/dive shop. I spoke with Gallaudet and they already have dive classes for the deaf....Good to know! I King Jordan initially started the classes himself.
Paula

bug:
I am currently in my second year of learning sign and have loved every minute. I am waiting for the day I am able to use what I have learned on a dive boat. I would love to meet more people and I think it could really help.

I alsot just got accpted to a divemaster intern program for the summer. I am interested in continuing my sign and hope to help teach deaf/HH divers.

-Matt
We should talk since I and a friend of mine are thinking of starting a business focusing on diving and the deaf.
Paula

wildmtn:
Hello Steve,

I am deaf too, currently in college at RIT. RIT offered Open water certification course so I took it and absolutely loved it. :eek:) Will be going to south Florida for scuba dive trip - I hardly wait!!!!
I live in Florida! When are you coming to Florida for a dive trip? Are you going to the Keys?
Paula

scubasigner:
I live in Florida! When are you coming to Florida for a dive trip? Are you going to the Keys?
Paula

Miami/Key Largo/Ft.Launderdale, diving dates are March 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

March 1st, diving in FT.L, 2nd diving in Key Largo, 3rd, diving in Miami... i'd be pleased to meet you sometime if possible, as well as my girlfriend who's going to dive with me at those dates too (she's deaf too)

ehh, i didnt realize the above post was from my g/f (wildmtn) not me! :11: We both are on the same trip.

Yeah, Yukoneer and I are goin' on same trip. Where are you in FL, Paula?

Welcome to the board. This is a great place to learn and share experiances. My best friend growing up was deaf and I learned to sign just being around him. Sometimes when diving I sign to my buddys they usually dont understand, not even the simple lettering with the hand. O well (deep subject for shallow mind). I'd love to dive with you. We'd have a great time.

wildmtn:
Yeah, Yukoneer and I are goin' on same trip. Where are you in FL, Paula?
I live on Amelia Island....northeast Florida.....wish I could join you guys but my doctor won't let me resume diving until early to mid April.
The best diving in Florida is the Keys. If you head north.....touch base.
Paula

yukoneer:
Miami/Key Largo/Ft.Launderdale, diving dates are March 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

March 1st, diving in FT.L, 2nd diving in Key Largo, 3rd, diving in Miami... i'd be pleased to meet you sometime if possible, as well as my girlfriend who's going to dive with me at those dates too (she's deaf too)

ehh, i didnt realize the above post was from my g/f (wildmtn) not me! :11: We both are on the same trip.
As I said to your girlfriend......wish I could join you guys but my doctor has me grounded until early to mid April.......I would love to dive with deaf people.....to actually be able to converse with someone under water!!!!!!!! You guys are lucky to be diving together. It is frustrating to dive with manually-incompetent hearies! Stop by if you head up north.
Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom