1 month in philippines over christmas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i wish business owners/promoters such as nash and wrenco would clearly disclose their commercial interests before soliciting business in this (or any) forum. it detracts from the unbiased and personal advice offered by sincere members and diminishes the board.

can i get some feed back on what i said earlier about me not bieng experienced enough as a diver, AOW with 30 logged dives ,and less than a years experience.........limited money . should it be spent on PADI rescue or just keep improving while enjoying diving. EFR and rescue in alona beach is the cost of 20 or so dives..............

imho, hold off on the rescue. it can wait.

can i get some feed back on what i said earlier about me not bieng experienced enough as a diver, AOW with 30 logged dives ,and less than a years experience.........limited money . should it be spent on PADI rescue or just keep improving while enjoying diving. EFR and rescue in alona beach is the cost of 20 or so dives..............
Just dive. The rescue class is great, but will not necessarily give you value on regular dives you do. It will make you better and more confident, but will not improve your diving really. If you really want to be a better diver more quickly then consider a PPB speciality(with an instructor who actually know how to do this really well), or an entry level tech class(again, pick the right instructor) - once you master your control and positioning in the water you will really be on the way to being a good diver...

---------- Post added November 15th, 2015 at 10:00 AM ----------

ps. Full disclosure - I'm an owner of a dive resort... :)

If you really want to be a better diver more quickly then consider a PPB speciality(with an instructor who actually know how to do this really well), or an entry level tech class(again, pick the right instructor) - once you master your control and positioning in the water you will really be on the way to being a good diver...

---------- Post added November 15th, 2015 at 10:00 AM ----------

ps. Full disclosure - I'm an owner of a dive resort... :)

I second Matt's opinion, when I first got certified I immediately got my advanced certificate with PPD and Navigation as my specialty's. I then did as many dives as possible during that trip. So many young people are encouraged to do rescue dive certs and DM certs instead of spending that $ on actual diving.
PADI's well known nickname is Put Another Dollar In.

I also respect Matt's disclosure greatly...he could have easily tried to sell you a rescue diver course thru his dive shop, instead he showed his integrity and gave you the best advise.

In my own disclosure when diving in Malapascua I didn't dive with Evolution but found the food at the resort some of the best on the island.

I must agree that Sogod Bay (southern Leyte) is a great destination for a diver who doesn't mind a bit of traveling to get to a somewhat remote destination (I think it's about 4 or 5 hours by road from the Tacloban airport). A group of friends--all of whom are very experienced divers--and I went there last year, and we liked it so much that we're going back again this year. Our group has added a handful more, because some friends who saw our photos were jealous and decided to join us this time.

Marine life includes whale sharks at the right time of the year (snorkeling only, unless one happens to pass by as you're diving), but the real attractions are the critters: lots of blue-ring octopuses, flamboyant cuttlefish, seahorses, ghost pipefish, Coleman's shrimp, stargazers, frogfish, rare nudis, etc. etc. Best macro destination I've ever been to, and generally considered as good as anywhere else in the Philippines.

I also heartily recommend Malapascua for a good diversity of different types of dive sites. It offers big animals, macro critters, wrecks and more. Getting all those different kinds of dives in one place is rare in the Philippines. A couple of my buddies are going there to dive with Evolution (on my recommendation) before we all meet up in Sogod Bay.

Coron is fantastic for wrecks, of course. PG and Anilao are quite convenient if you're in Manila and offer good diving. I've heard good things about some other destinations in the Visayas, like Dumaguete and Dauin and a few others, but haven't been to those yet. Tubbataha offers some fantastic diving but is not in season when You'll be in the Philippines, so put that one on the to-do list for next time. Apo Reef is sort of like "Tubbataha lite" but is difficult to access cheaply and conveniently.

Why don't you post a trip report after you get back from your trip?

Last edited:
matt_reed, how is your boat reboarded after dives? Do you have a good strong ladder?

matt_reed, how is your boat reboarded after dives? Do you have a good strong ladder?
Hi Chilly, there's a pretty standard ladder type use on the pumpboats which are common all over the Philippines for diving. They are pretty sturdy and most people climb up with their gear on - at Evo we do a lot of techinical diving and see people climb up all the time with 3 tanks on. However if you have concerns you can always remove you equipment before climbing.I'm trying to find a picture but am not on the island at the moment. Will try and update you later.Matt.

Thanks Matt. That's good enough info for me.

I would start in PG, probably the cheapest you will find for diving, instruction and lodging. Also a good "welcome to the Philippines" type of place...probably the largest concentration of other divers and dive operations in one place.

Do a few refresher dives, talk with other divers who have came from other places, the AOW course isn't too much $$ or time vs just plain diving, and once again, prices in PG will be the best you find...

I did my AOW with about 30 dives as well, for me, the best part was the overall refresher part as I tend to not dive for a few years at a time...otherwise, I think xrcjdx gave a good route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom