10,000 lost baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
You folks that don't check bags,...how do you get around in airports? I left my down pillow on a chair to go to the bathroom and some wizards watching from above via security cameras pounced me. They said YOU KNOW you can't leave things unattended in an airport! and she was kinda mean about it. I just cannot manage all that stuff.....how do you buy food, have a beer at the bar? maybe my layovers are longer..

not to mention shopping in Japan airport.

Or Hong Kong...:D

AAARRRGGGHHHHHH...flying US Air to Grand Cayman in May. Thank god my all of my scba gear fits in my carry on!!!!

DandyDon:
It might help to look at the published story - 10,000 a year for all US based airlinies, not just USAir...

The story says 10,000 per day for all US based airlines. Not 10,000 per year. Still isn't a lot when you compare that to how many US based airline's flights there are a day. Still more than it should be. At least it did say that most of the luggage does find its way back to the owner so it isn't neccessarily a security hole as a procedural problem/sorting problem.

In the military I have flown quite a bit in my 16 years. I have had luggage go missing twice in those years, but (knock on wood) it has come back to me both times and both times within 24 hours. It was just misrouted and ended up at another airport. I can see this with the amount of luggage that moves around the world every day. I guess the more I think about it the more I am suprised that the numbers aren't higher. The logistics are just crazy.

well, wouldn't you have to compare the stats to items stolen (OR LOST) in airports?? The question you must ask yourselves is "where are my bags more secure, statistically?" For me, thats an easy one.

I mean because of my time zone, I am sleeping in closed gates.

The only thing worse than losing your bags is filing the report. You're tired, you're hungry, you're jet-lagged, you're irritated and you have the distinct pleasure of dealing with someone who was specifically selected to "help" you fill in the form because they have some kind of severe social psychosis.

..... At least this applies to the KLM people at the Amsterdam airport. I can't speak for other airlines. The Dutch aren't very good (read horrendously bad) at customer service anyway but these people will make even the most calm and reasonable person go completely ballistic.

On a side note, has anyone here ever lost a bad on a direct flight? I've been lucky with direct flights up to now.

R..

I've had a few bags "arriving on the next flight", and have never lost any.

One time I was waiting to check in for a flight and the guy in front of me was being a real pain to the airline rep. The rep continued being polite and smiled while the "customer" gave him abuse before storming off to his flight.

As I checked in, I complimented the rep on his keeping cool throughout the previous customer. The rep smiled and calmly said that while the previous customer was heading to Tampa, his luggage would be going there via Seattle. What goes around does come around!

Diver Dennis:
CNN said many of the bags go to a different destination than you do. Are not all bags supposed to be on the same plane as you for security reasons?

The issue in the past was that a person could book a flight, check a bag and then not board the flight and the bag still would be on the plane. That is a major security issue. "They" claim that that can't happen now. What does happen is usually baggage handler doesn't load you bag on your plane and they put it on another flight later so that it catches up to you, maybe.

I had to fly on business just after September 11 and the people at US Airways somehow put my bag on the NEXT flight to my destination, not the flight I was booked on. My bag was at the hotel waiting for me when I got done with work.

Back
Top Bottom