100% 02 during your SI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think something has been entirely missed here. Your not some 20 year old who can take a beating and odds are your diving with a group. For myself I take my hour SI and at the end of the day Im still sore and I am in my 20s. Im not pushing it hard or having an aggressive profile, its just cold water and ice. From the group aspect your still going to have to wait for everyone else to finish their hour SI, so you don't gain anything other then a 02 high and a lighter wallet.

+1. I can also tell you that it helped negate the horrible effects of chemotherapy as well. Specifically, a 10 minute break on 100% helped negate the horrible effects of cisplatnin and etopicide in my cancer treatments.

O2 is great stuff!

Glad to hear that you are OK deep south. You sound like a positive human being, and from all I hear, that is the key in dealing with the desease.
Well done and good luck !!

Yes, the 'skill-set' for gas switching is basic. But carrying a [-]hypoxic[/-] hyperoxic mix well below it's MOD requires a 'mind-set' also.
Fixed that for you.

...But my point of bringing this up is this: Since I had 100% O2 sitting around, and some of my mid-chemo symptoms felt very much like being hungover with the flu at the same time, I used it... That is, I self-administered 100% O2 a couple of times - and 50% a couple of times, when I ran out of 100% - at about 10 or 15 minutes at a shot. Of course, this was while bedridden, so at 1 ata.

The stuff definitely made me feel a lot better. I don't know why.
Congratulations. My brother is about to have his 1st year since finishing chemo and the last CT's keep on coming clean. It's a good feeling. I wonder if there is also an associative/psychosomatic element here. Every now and then I'll take my heart rate and blood pressure at those automated machines you find in Walmart and other stores. My heart rate usually comes in at high 60's. The last time I tried, I told myself, "think about diving" and I tried to image myself holding a stop in perfect conditions, relaxing. My heartbeat came in at 53. Sometimes, just the smell of neoprene takes me to a different headspace.

For those who have trouble following a simple thread: The OP asked a question in post #1
An alternative (with caveats) was given in post #2.
Another alternative (with specific caveats) was given in post #7.
The OP's question was addressed and a general discussion ensued regarding the effect of O2 in reducing DCS risk.
No one suggested a new diver should take 100% O2 diving...

I know situational awareness is important in tech diving so I thought it would be great to enable some to practice that skill here....

Nicely put! In short, free radicals can be thought of as "body rust." Higher O2 percentages mean more body rust, and the idea behind the vitamin suppliments is to minimize the effects of it.

As far as I know, the whole concept is still only a theory, but a lot of experienced athletes seem to believe in it. Personally, I don't believe that an hour-long, or even several-hour long exposure to higher O2 concentrations can really have that much effect on "body rust" than, say, the long-term effects of the increased blood-oxygen concentrations that result from unusual athletic fitness by comparison... But that's the the theory. So I, too, take vitamin suppliments - albeit a multivitamin - not as specific as the above - under the general belief that I feel better when I take it than when I don't. I also feel that today's processed foods tend to be lacking in vitamins as compared to the more "natural" diet of yesteryear, and so I would take a multivitamin daily regardless of whether I dived or not.

But that's just my belief, based on the information I have. YMMV.

Thanks a lot, Bombay High. Thats very flattering. I haven't always been very positive about it. But I've found it's better to be. :)

Slamfire, that's too cool. Tell him congrats. More people were "cured" or became permanently in remission than not in my chemo. We've got amazing technology these days!

Yes, it's entirely plausible that the effects were largely psychosomatic, but having experienced some temporary relief from what patients call the "chemo haze" and the ill feelings of nausea and soreness, I don't believe that the effects were not honestly physical. But who knows? I tried it because of the similarity in feeling hungover with the flu... And it worked. At that point, I didn't care if it was psychosomatic. :) I'd have done anything for a moment of relief.

For what it's worth, my cancer was testicular. The normal regimen was a three-part chemo therapy, consisting of cicsplatnin, bleomyacin and etopicide (forgive if my spelling is off). Bleomyacin permenantly changes the way that the lungs metabolize oxygen, and thus my body would no longer be able to handle high PPO2s. In short, I was told by my encologist that I would no longer be able to dive.

Given that this is what I do for a living, I told the doctor - without having to reconsider - that I would refuse treatment and prefer to live until the cancer killed me and still be able to dive. An alternative never even crossed my mind.

...So my encologist brought up the case of the diver that refused treatment because of the side effects of bleomyacin to some sort of nationwide meeting of encologists, and together, they created a new regimen for me that included double or triple doses of cisplatnin and etopicide, coupled with a double or triple length of dosage.

In short, the regimen 'bout killed me. In fact, it actually did - multiple times. Maintaining hydration was impossible without introveinous help, and I remember losing 71 pounds in six weeks at one point... And I'm not a real fatty guy. Frankly, there's a lot of the chemo I simply do not recall. They kicked my butt.

...But here I am. And I dive just about every day. I have paid a price - a big price - to dive. And I have zero regrets.

I plan to move from my current career of commercial diving into a career in the medical profession... In dive medicine. I believe that hyperbaric medicine holds keys to healing that we have not yet uncovered... And I want to be a part of bringing that to society to help ease the suffering of people with cancer, Altzheimer's (spelling), diabetes, nerve, spine and brain trauma, stroke victims and more.

I would love to really "hurt" cancer like it did me. Personal vendetta. :). And I believe, based on my ezperiences while dead, that there is much to be uncovered about the use of hyperbaric oxygen treatment to heal.

Good luck with the career change. I went back to school (48 next month) and now work in the physical rehab field. So... if your chamber therapy don't work out so good your patients may wind up spending some quality time with me :D

Fixed that for you.

Thank you! :)

Although...carry a hypoxic mix below it's MOD would be a bad idea too :wink:

...and, well, hypoxic nitrox would just be a bad idea full-stop... unless your name was VDGM and you were planning some extreme deep air bounce dives...

Dale,
Can you point those who need it to a thread-uational sp. awareness specialty?:D
Eric

Back
Top Bottom