12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw an illustration with Thai captions that showed the front diver basically bearhugging the kid. Can't find it now. But I was wondering how that would be possible--I've seen one of my neighbors do it with their teen but in reverse (teen had the octo and was hanging onto mom's tank). If the rescuers are bearhugging the teens, it seems like they'd have more control--at least until they got to constricted areas (as long as the teens were neutrally buoyant or just slightly overweighted).

Think about restriction where it is barely big enough for an adult to go through without tank. This arrangement gets the boys ready to go through it.

Six boys came out. So this setup works for them.

CNN reporting SIXTH and SEVENTH boy pulled out alive

Attachments

• 1B1BB33D-9602-47D1-9EAA-2D67B8EA347A.jpeg
    1B1BB33D-9602-47D1-9EAA-2D67B8EA347A.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 66
He offered to help.
But his submarine is useless in this cave. I like that he volunteered to help, but can't help but question the publicizing of it - why should we even know about it? You want to help? Great - just do it! No need to plaster it all over the media - makes me question part of the motivation and feels like a little "grand-standing" when the team already has a working strategy (that they have carefully developed)!

It was good to hear Edd Sorenson of Cave Adventures out of Marianna Fl on CNN. It's the first time I didn't have to cringe while listening to their description of what's happening. Here he is on CGTN:

Besides the one rescuer that passed this is turning out to be one hell of a rescue.

I know 8th boy is out but is that it for the day again? Also if it is will they go for 5 on the next go around or will the coach stay behind and wait?

Besides the one rescuer that passed this is turning out to be one hell of a rescue.

I know 8th boy is out but is that it for the day again? Also if it is will they go for 5 on the next go around or will the coach stay behind and wait?

There are also medical personnel in the cave that volunteered to stay with the boys. I am sure that they are all trained and won't need to be rescued or they wouldn't be there, but they may still need access to the air tanks stationed throughout the cave that have to be replenished regularly (I'm not sure?) but that seems to be a lengthy process. So it may be a couple of days before everyone is out - but 8 safely out is a great achievement, I have high hopes for a successful rescue.

Last edited:
This was posted today on BBC
The threat of monsoon rains re-flooding the cave is not as acute as previously feared, according to Johannes Sander of the Munich-based industrial weather forecasters Sander and partner.

In an email, he says rainfall today was mostly in foothills away from the cave and tomorrow will see less rain.

He writes: “Monsoon rain patterns are very local. On Wednesday strong rainfall will happen about 30km or 50km north of the Tham Luang region, while the area around the cave will see little precipitation, and even less than today or tomorrow. The lack of signficant rain with support pumping of the flooded caverns.”

I wonder how many are left in the cave now, including folks like the good doctor.

BBC got it right on their "GMT" world news show this morning--partly. First, they mentioned air tanks needed to be refilled overnight, but then a few sentences later as they segued into a different report they mentioned oxygen tanks in a similar refilling context. It could have been 100% correct or only half correct. I might even suspect the two sentences were written by separate people, the second writer not having yet read the memo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom