12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure that they are all trained and won't need to be rescued or they wouldn't be there,
Don't be so sure.

Good point! Sadly one of the rescuers has already died.
Hubris nor ignorance are good replacements for training or experience. I don't doubt the skills or bravado of the Seals, but I doubt that anyone of them has cave training. As much as I appreciate their desire to help, I wouldn't ask them to perform brain surgery for the reason: insufficient training. I'm hoping that the cavers on site have gotten enough through to them on how to not die. Kudos to Stanton and crew for keeping the death toll as low as possible.

Heard lots of talk about the dimentions of the passage openings and it has been mentioned that the water is not very deep but how long are underwater sections?

Hubris nor ignorance are good replacements for training or experience. I don't doubt the skills or bravado of the Seals, but I doubt that anyone of them has cave training. As much as I appreciate their desire to help, I wouldn't ask them to perform brain surgery for the reason: insufficient training. I'm hoping that the cavers on site have gotten enough through to them on how to not die. Kudos to Stanton and crew for keeping the death toll as low as possible.

I wonder about the late Samarn Poonan, being a non cave diver, bending the rule of third in cave diving too far to the point of OOA without being able to alert his buddy in the sump?

I wonder about the late Samarn Poonan, being a non cave diver, bending the rule of third in cave diving too far to the point of OOA without being able to alert his buddy in the sump?
I have not seen any firm confirmation that he went OOA. Some news reports said he did. Others said he passed out, which suggests he suffered a medical event unrelated to his gas supply.

Back
Top Bottom