19th century wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was parked across from you, it appeared you were about kitted up just a little bit after I got there. I went in a few minutes, I am guessing from the time you hit the pond. Did a 71 min. cruise as my doubles were low on gas, was slinging an Al 50 with 50EAN, but really did not want to use it unless necessary. It was a nice exercise dip, but very windy upon returning to the car.

Well, you should've come over and given me a big Texas welcome! I was on a 90 min cruise (didn't want to dip into my 2nd scrubber) and finished up my "PADI Braille Diving Certification" :wink: Didn't really know I was at the silo's until my hand hit something I thought was a rock. I brushed the silt away and saw the grating . . . YEE HAW. Seemed after you hit 45ffw, it was lights out and swimming in a cloud. I had lots of places where I could only fuzzily see my computer & compass @ 6" (you must've seen the same). Anyway, after swimming around for 1hr, I decided to head back (a 30min trek) & was pleasantly surprised to have made it back to within 3' of the stairs I left from.

Seriously, next time you see me stop by. I know I'm a Yankee, but Aquatrax seems to think I'm OK for one. :D

Dive safe

No I'm jealous, Braille Diving Cert? That's the only specialty I need to get my PADI "Confined Water Master Diver" Card : )

... if i find a gold coin or two it may pay for the whole trip ....

The problem is that the Republic of TX has laid claim to all such things and looks very dimly upon it subjects disturbing them.

Well, you should've come over and given me a big Texas welcome! I was on a 90 min cruise (didn't want to dip into my 2nd scrubber) and finished up my "PADI Braille Diving Certification" :wink: Didn't really know I was at the silo's until my hand hit something I thought was a rock. I brushed the silt away and saw the grating . . . YEE HAW. Seemed after you hit 45ffw, it was lights out and swimming in a cloud. I had lots of places where I could only fuzzily see my computer & compass @ 6" (you must've seen the same). Anyway, after swimming around for 1hr, I decided to head back (a 30min trek) & was pleasantly surprised to have made it back to within 3' of the stairs I left from.

Seriously, next time you see me stop by. I know I'm a Yankee, but Aquatrax seems to think I'm OK for one. :D

Dive safe

I'll take this as a "yes, the vis was horrid" response. LOL....or should I be crying. :)

I'll take this as a "yes, the vis was horrid" response. LOL....or should I be crying. :)
Well, above 45ffw the viz was a "good" 8' > 10' and as you know that's really good for over there. Below that, well . . . it depends on your comfort zone. I actually enjoyed the "no viz" areas because the quarry is small and so it adds "adventure" into your dive. Of course it's only good IF you're diving solo. If you're trying to buddy dive in that . . . good luck. A few weeks ago Aquatrax and I lost each other a good 4 times before we scrubbed our dive (and Aquatrax is probably a better diver than I am).

BTW- I had a pretty solid 67° on the bottom, which I thought was great!

Viz was really not to bad except those places you wonder if you have entered the Twilight Zone! As gauges go, at 46ffw and the column above I was hitting 63-64f. Francousteau I did give you a Texas wave as you drove out. :wink:

The problem is that the Republic of TX has laid claim to all such things and looks very dimly upon it subjects disturbing them.

AWAP is 100% correct. The Texas Historical Commission, which is the regulatory body in charge of protecting the states cultural remains, does not give out authorization for divers to dive these sites. If you were to dive these sites and pick anything up that would be a crime and the THC takes that very seriously.

Most of the sites you would like to dive are in very bad conditions. Meaning, you probably would not be able to see them (braille). I wrote my thesis on a 19th century steamboat wreck found on the Caney Creek outside of Bay City Texas. This is a great wreck and there is a lot there but again, vis is 000000.00000 as soon as your head goes under. Same is true for any wreck in Texas state waters. You have to get offshore about 5-8 miles to get descent vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom