1st and 2nd stages tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying some tec regulators.
I hear that Apeks is very good. But what is the difference between the tek 3 and the XTX series?
and which to take as a 2nd stage?

thx for the input

Also take a look at HOG. You can learn how to service your own regs if you hold a Tech card and if your going to get into serious tec diving it can end up saving you some serious money in the long run.

The 2nd stages are the same.
The only difference is the port locations on the 1st stages.

Also take a look at HOG. You can learn how to service your own regs if you hold a Tech card and if your going to get into serious tec diving it can end up saving you some serious money in the long run.

Didn't see that coming.:cool2:

Apeks are good regs, hogs are good regs, I've even used aqualungs for tec. Poseidon is by far my best breathing regs, but servicing them is a PITA. I use my hogs mostly nowadays. They are inexpensive and getting parts is no hassle.

I'm thinking about buying some tec regulators. I hear that Apeks is very good. But what is the difference between the tek 3 and the XTX series?
Port placement on the first stage. The Tec 3 first stages are set up as 'left' and 'right'. I have a set of Tec 3s. I also have a doubles reg set with FSR first stages and a set with FST first stages. I don't really have a problem with hose routing on any of them. All breath well at depth.
and which to take as a 2nd stage?
I use the XTX50s that are part of the Tec 3 set, I also use ATX 100s, and ATX 200s, and don't see any functional difference (as you would expect). I service my own Apeks regs, and find them easy to work on, as well.

The Apeks Tec 3 first stage has all the ports facing in one direction and there is a right and left to the set. You have a single HP and 3 LP ports. They are designed to allow optimized hose routing on a set of doubles. For the XTX series, you should be looking at the XTX50 or DS4. You can also get a
5 port swivel turret
for the XTX50 (this is how the Apeks Sidemount first stages are equipped). The Tec 3, XTX DS4 and Sidemount kit all come with the same second stage as the XTX 50. I have the Apeks Sidemount kit and they are my first Apeks regulators. I think they are great.

Didn't see that coming.:cool2:

So what?

I see a lot of ScubaPro, Hogs and Apeks on Lake Travis. A friend that I know dives Apeks and sells Hog. He loves both Apeks and Hog but Hog wasn't around yet when he first bought the Apeks. As much as he supports and sells Hog, he still dives the Apeks because the money is already spent and it is a good reg.

That level of openness and honesty gets respect in my book. I don't really care what someone buys but listening to the above could save you some serious $$$.

Back
Top Bottom