1st and 2nd stages tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So What. :wink:

The OP asked about Apex, that is why.

He didn't indicate that he was interested in the cheapest regs available.
Now everyone that owns a HOG reg is going to chime in about how awesome their HOGs are, which is fine.......except.....the question wasn't asked about HOG regs.

It's funny to me because if someone on SB asks about (insert name) regulators, someone just about always suggests that they should look into a set of HOG regs.

Cheers,
Mitch

Reactions: CPH
.I use the XTX50s that are part of the Tec 3 set, I also use ATX 100s, and ATX 200s, and don't see any functional difference

Performance-wise, no. They're the same & parts are interchangeable. But XTX has reversible venturi (in case you should want the LP hose to attach the the LHS (e.g. sidemount) and interchangable wide/narrow exhaust fittings

The subject is tech regs not apeks. Apeks was just one example.

Tec3s are expensive and do not necessarily offer much. Hose routing is thought for doubles. That is good for backmount, but think twice if considering sidemount...
The DST first stages are my first stages of choice with sidemount. I also have DS4, US4 and FST. Like them all & all of them will work well with backmount doubles. just depends what job you have in mind for them. If you will not dive in cold water and have no need for a turret, the cheaper and simpler to use US4 are your best bet.

As for second stages, i use XTX200, XTX50, XTX40, ATX100, ATX50 and AT20. All breathe well. AT20 are simple. 40 and up offer adjustment knobs for breathing resistance. 50 and up can be configured left or right. 100 or 200 only offer cosmetic improvements... All are easy to service.
Haven't tried the 2013 versions yet!

The Tek 3's are designed to have a right and left configuration for optimal hose routing. If you buy the complete set, it comes with the XTX50's.

There are many great technical regulators out there, but I personally depend on the Apeks Tek 3's for all my diving, including technical dives.

Tec3s are expensive and do not necessarily offer much. Hose routing is thought for doubles. That is good for backmount, but think twice if considering sidemount...
The DST first stages are my first stages of choice with sidemount. I also have DS4, US4 and FST. Like them all & all of them will work well with backmount doubles. just depends what job you have in mind for them. If you will not dive in cold water and have no need for a turret, the cheaper and simpler to use US4 are your best bet.

As for second stages, i use XTX200, XTX50, XTX40, ATX100, ATX50 and AT20. All breathe well. AT20 are simple. 40 and up offer adjustment knobs for breathing resistance. 50 and up can be configured left or right. 100 or 200 only offer cosmetic improvements... All are easy to service.
Haven't tried the 2013 versions yet!

You are mistaken, the 50 and up offer the adjustment knob, the 40 does not unless you've retrofitted one that is.

Here's the skinny on Apeks 2nd stages.

20.....balanced with metal air barrel and venturi lever
40 .... that plus heat sink.
50, 100, 200 ..... the above plus adjustment knob.

Time line (for States)
T and TX
then
ATX and CTX
then
XTX.....this is the only one that is reversible.

All models and years breath the same, in fact the earliest model may breath better since they had a larger diaphragm.

My personal favorite is the ATX as it doesn't have a removable exhaust T........this is also the model the HOG is based on.

Although the Apeks Tek 3s are designed for optimal hose routing for doubles, I disagree that the design achieved that. I own them and use them for doubles, and I find that the design demands a right angle turn almost immediately after some of the hoses leave the regulator, which puts a strain on them. Ironically, some regulators that were designed without a glimmer of thought about doubles route better.

50 and up can be configured left or right

All the XTX seconds have this feature (RVS) including 20 and 40

Back
Top Bottom