1st Wetsuit for region....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've searched the forums.

I've read the forums till my eyes feel like they're bleeding.

If you want to participate in my thread please do, if you want to be a smart alec, please go somewhere else.

I'm looking to get the most mileage out of my first wetsuit purchase.

I will be diving Lake Rawlings in February and or March to get open water certified, then on to shallow reefs/wrecks whatever can be found off Virginia & North Carolina's coast's. Eventually diving deeper wrecks off shore, Lobster hunting and occasionally getting back to the Carribean.

I have a 3 mil shorty suit for warmer waters or for layering.

Have seriously been considering a Mares Istherm 6.5 mm semi-dry first then later a Henderson 7/5 for "warmer" water dives.

Thanks for your serious thoughts and advice based on your local experiences.

I dive a 3mm full suit for almost the entire season off the NC coast. I have a 3mm shorty that I wear on top of the 3mm full early and late in the year.

Rawlings will be fricken cold in Feb/March, so I would consider renting a 7mm farmer for that occasion.

The VA coast is quite a bit different from anywhere south of Hatteras in NC (much colder up there, different currents)

You can find a lot of perspectives from a group of avid NC divers over here:
http://www.ncdivers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=935&highlight=wetsuit+shorty

Rich

What Rich said. :)

3mm jumpsuit is pretty standard for the Morehead City / Wilmington areas, and you'll be able to use it 6 months out of the year at least. The rest of the time I use a 7/5 jumpsuit. I wouldn't spend the money for a Henderson though. Neosport or Akona is a much better bargain.

Hi BVM

I will third what Rich and Frank said, this time of year at Rawlings or Fantasy lake for that matter you probably need a minimum of 7m as the water is really cold unless you have a high tolerance for cold (some people do), I am not one of them.

In the summer months you would probably be fine with a 3m as long as you stay above the thermocline.

I would also suggest you rent one for now and decide later if a 7m puchase is a wise decision based on your diving needs at that point in time.

Great advice so far and I agree..

Don't spend too much on a wet suit.. Another brand to look into is Tilos.. Before going dry, year round, I dove a Tilos 7/5 semi dry for the winter months, and it worked great.. ~ $150. My daughter uses the Akona 7mm suit.. It's not sold as a semi-dry, but IMHO it should be... ~$150 for the Akona as well..

For the rest of the season, the 3/2 suits are perfect....

Good luck and let us know what you end up with and what you think...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom