• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

2 flies on the ceiling...PANIC!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by InkDiver, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ucfdiver

ucfdiver DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The con that jumps out at me is the fact that you have to purchase another hose, and you're going to have to remove a working 2nd stage from your mouth in an emergency.

The main pro's in my mind are-
    -You always know your OOA buddy gets a WORKING 2nd stage.
    -Cleaner hose routing.
    -Gives you some distance from a panic'ed diver.
    -You can pass through single file restrictions (in the case of cave/wreck diving)
    -You can donate much faster this way, since you don't have to fumble for the reg, unclip it, or unbungee it.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions. Here's why I assumed that you hadn't used one.
    Simply put, you're describing a problem that doesn't exist here. What you're describing is one of the main reasons divers breathe the hose they donate. When someone grabs a working reg from your mouth with the gear configuration we're talking about here, the system works as planned.

2. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Excerpting...

The con that jumps out at me....
    you're going to have to remove a working 2nd stage from your mouth in an emergency.
    The part I don't like. It's fine for you who do, especially if you have been trained to - but not the universal method.

The main pro's in my mind are...
    -Gives you some distance from a panic'ed diver.
    Two sides to that. I like to hold the OOA diver's BC for the imminent ascent.

-You can pass through single file restrictions (in the case of cave/wreck diving)
    Which would be the non-recreational situation for which the 7 ft hose idea evolved.

-You can donate much faster this way, since you don't have to fumble for the reg, unclip it, or unbungee it. Should never be a fumble or unclip scene for the recreational diver who wants to offer his alternate. Grab it. Unless you have the alternate bungeed where it cannot leave your body, in which case you are limited to donating the one that can.

3. Boxcar Overkill

Boxcar Overkill Barracuda

This post is a prime example of why one can't get into a reasonable discussion on this subject. There's always those tacky and rude people that just won't let you have a normal discussion. It has to turn to personal attacks.

4. TSandM

TSandM Missed and loved by many. Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

Oh, let's not do this again. We did the "donate the primary" argument with B.O. just a little while ago, and I think we all argued ourselves shrill and nobody changed positions. He likes the way he does it. I like the way I do, at least here, he isn't trying to list all the reasons why what I do won't work. Let it go.

5. pennypue

pennypue Solo Diver

Yes, and I think your response was poorly worded and insulting. Did you read what you posted?

Thank you, Dr. Seuss.:)

You clearly have not afforded me the same courtesy.
    Wow, and you didn't happen to notice the venom you directed my way? Your statements are outrageous and inflammatory.

I have no trouble with someone who donates an octo. What I do have a problem with is the dichotomy with which you portray those that do choose to donate the primary.

As evidence...."donate the octo" versus "wrap the hose under your canister and behind your neck" which you clearly reworded from your original 'hoses wrapped under their equipment and coiled around their body"..........:no

6. John_B

John_B Grasshopper

And yet your trolling seems to elicit the same response over and over from different people. :shrug: Think about it, at some point you have to wonder if its really you.

7. pennypue

pennypue Solo Diver

xxxxxxx

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  8. pennypue

pennypue Solo Diver

I think calling someone tacky and rude is a personal attack.:popcorn:

9. stairman

stairman Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Im sure Boxcar was talking about me.As a cavediver I was trained,IMO,the best way to configure.By him using the phrase of a hose tucked under gear and wrapped around the body he dissagrees and thats fine.If he took a cavern course his mind might be changed but as he stated he has tried all configurations and came up with what he likes.Often these posts take off in different directions with different opinions.Its a forum!My feelings arent hurt if you dissagree.

10. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

In such cases, the TOS clearly requests the use of [​IMG]
    rather than continuing and escalating.