2 overdue divers at sea overnight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to dive in the open ocean you need to own a PLB. Here is my link explaining why.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/287782-lost-sea.html

Yes I know your thinking that will never happen to me. But your wrong. I know your thinking my whistle, SMB and Mirror, ike they taught me in my course is enough. But they were wrong and should have told you to also invest in a PLB not just a nice snazzy BCD and the latest regulator doodads.

I continue to read stories of those that are lost. Some recovered. Some not. And then there are the reports that never even make it to the internet.

If you think your lucky.....your not. The search teams will need lots of luck to spot you at sea even with two smbs tied togeather and your whistle and mirror.

Be in control of your own rescue and save your own life while saving all of us money on paying for the search effort to find you or recover your body.

John

In addition to my PLB, I also carry a radar detectable SMB made by Custom Divers called the Seeker.

My PLB:

plb1.jpg

plb2.jpg

plb3.jpg

I have been considering getting a PLB. Reading these stories has really pushed me even more.

Question for you guys that have and use a PLB - do you keep the PLB in a box (Pelican, Otter, etc) or just clipped onto your harness? I mean, I know they're waterproof, but are they waterproof to 120'? How bulky are they?

Thanks!

I have been considering getting a PLB. Reading these stories has really pushed me even more.

Question for you guys that have and use a PLB - do you keep the PLB in a box (Pelican, Otter, etc) or just clipped onto your harness? I mean, I know they're waterproof, but are they waterproof to 120'? How bulky are they?

Thanks!

I sell a kit at no markup (I think that they are important enough hat everyone should have one, especially folks who dive far from help) that has the McMurdo 210 PLB shown above, a cyalume, dye packet, whistle, and enough room for an emergency packet of water and a munchie bar of your choice. They come in a PVC screw together case or a Delrin case similar to a battery case for a canister light. (Guess what? I had a light manufacturer make some of the cases). They go for $450. I am leaving for Texas tonight and they are in Key West, but I'll be back after a while. You could put it together yourself, but you probably can't beat the pricing I get for the PLB's. All are new in box, you have to register them yourself. If you are interested, send me an e-mail and I'll forward you pics. Mine don't have an iPhone in them :D .

I built these based on John's story of 2 years ago. I had a group of tech divers get 6 miles away from me on a deco stop. I found them all, but it was a puckering day. I have them on the boat for folks to use if they want.

Frank

The only issue I see with a PLB is that it calls the Calvary with no choice of getting the scouts first if you get my drift. A marine band radio with a GPS and PLB function is a much better option. This allows the diver to contact the boat via normal voice channels and if that fails the PLB function is still there as an option. I still haven't really figured out if the radio has to be licensed as the rules are kind of vague. Mine all fits in a modified McMurdo dive canister. The wife carries a Otter canister with a space blanket, sea marker dye, mirror, light sticks and energy bars. People that dive without self rescue equipment are asking for problems. Stuff happens.

Thanks!

The PLB's are waterproof to only a few feet, you need a container like the one I show from Custom Divers or the one the Wookie has.

The only issue I see with a PLB is that it calls the Calvary with no choice of getting the scouts first if you get my drift. A marine band radio with a GPS and PLB function is a much better option. This allows the diver to contact the boat via normal voice channels and if that fails the PLB function is still there as an option. I still haven't really figured out if the radio has to be licensed as the rules are kind of vague. Mine all fits in a modified McMurdo dive canister. The wife carries a Otter canister with a space blanket, sea marker dye, mirror, light sticks and energy bars. People that dive without self rescue equipment are asking for problems. Stuff happens.

Agreed, but if I'm lost at sea, I want everyone to know about as fast as possible. I'm waiting for the Nautilus Lifeline just for the reasons you stated.

Those guys were really out there: "14 miles west of the Marquesas Keys" or 44 miles west of Key West - between Rebecca Shoal and the Dry Tortugas. Rather adventurous for a private dive vessel.

Agreed, but if I'm lost at sea, I want everyone to know about as fast as possible. I'm waiting for the Nautilus Lifeline just for the reasons you stated.

The Nautilus is not a PLB. If your canister is big enough the best solution is to carry both a small handheld vhf radio and a PLB. That way you can try to contact the dive boat or a ship that is within visual range and try a quick rescue. If there is not a ship within visual range and/or the condition are such that time is not your friend (in shipping channel, cold water, bad weather) then you have the option to activate the PLB.

The Nautilus is not a PLB. If your canister is big enough the best solution is to carry both a small handheld vhf radio and a PLB. That way you can try to contact the dive boat or a ship that is within visual range and try a quick rescue. If there is not a ship within visual range and/or the condition are such that time is not your friend (in shipping channel, cold water, bad weather) then you have the option to activate the PLB.

I kind of know that, the pic's in post #21 are of my PLB and canister. The Nautilus is a radio with GPS and is fully contained in its own housing. The point I was making is that I'm waiting for it as that choice in radio for the reasons Doubler stated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom