2008 - My Quest for 150' viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, starting to think about 2008's trip. Lately diving has been in medium to low viz situations. Great diving, don't get me wrong. Just not the best viz.

I'm starting to feel the need for some really great DEPENDABLE, FOR SURE, NEVER FAIL 100 to 150' viz. On every dive. And not just in the advertizing department's imagination.

Where can I get that?

Anybody care to just throw out a bunch of ideas of places for me to look into? They can be close or far away (I live in California), they can be macro spots or humpback territory, Expensive or moderatly priced, whatever. For right now, let's ignore almost everything but viz, except let's keep it to salt water. :)

Where has consistently the best viz? What places are known for their spectacular viz?

Thanks in advance!
Taxgeek

Since your in California, I'd say Okinawa, Japan. Good vis and nice shore and boat diving. The hotels are either dumps or a bit pricy but the diving is great!

The Living Seas... Epcot Center, Orlando...

Bloody Bay Wall approaches 150 feet. The only place I know that will gurantee that kind of viz is Antartica where I've heard that vis tops out at over 1,000 feet.

Hmm, the clearest viz I have seen is Orote, Guam. The seawall in Oki is nice and Saipan is clear and here in Kanto during the winter we sometimes get 40-50 ft down in Izu but Guam will mess you up. The wifey and I did our first boat dives (10 dives after OW certification here in Japan) at Blue Hole and after jumping in and looking down into the abyss off the ledge with sharks clearly swimming down at 150 ft almost shat our collective NB swimsuits. After a few years, I still get the same buzz. The wifey says I am out of control.

I second the vote for the Cayman Islands... Little Cayman (Bloody Bay Wall) is always spectacular unless you arrive within a week of a hurricane.

Best vis I've ever seen is 500 ft.+ at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. Closest civilian diving resort is the Maldives and I hear that the vis is just as good there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom