2016 Cozumel Tipping Etiquette?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a "helpful diver" with other divers is really more about doing the things a good dive buddy would do and being courteous towards others. If I bring a couple pieces of candy, I'm bringing enough for others if they want it. Getting water for seated divers or handing them a snack if you are the one standing seems like the courteous thing to do. Not sure it gets you bonus points with the captain though.

I like to dive with people like you, friendly gestures go a long way.:cheers:

I will say I did not know it was proper to tip the captain instead of the DM. We've always tipped the DM if he isn't busy and tip the captain if the DM is busy. Can anyoen else confirm it is more proper to tip the captain?

I'm going to be surprised that proper procedure is to tip the captain over the DM. Personally, I don't know, maybe I'm a jerk, but I tip the DM and my tips are meant for the DM if the captain does or doesn't get any I'm not really concerned. Anyone feel free to educated me on this, but that's pretty much the way I've always meant it for 20 years doing this.

As I said - the tip should have absolutely nothing to do with the salary they make or don't make. Tip's are not always intended to supplement an income, although that is what they end up doing - but really, they are more like a commission in function.

Really applaud that type of attitude from an owner! That's a great way to see things. :)

I give to both. The crew share though, if not they wont be a crew long lol.

Well I expect the tip to be shared with the Captain since he regularly helps the divers gear up, changes the tanks between dives & on many boats hauls your gear up out of the water so you can climb the ladder much more comfortably. He also helps in several other ways & as far as I'm concerned is part of the team serving me. As a photographer I get him to hand me my camera after I'm in the water & to take it from me when I get ready to get back onto the boat, and they've always made sure it was stored away safely too.

... was proper to tip the captain instead of the DM.

At the end of the day, it finds it's way into the right pockets no matter who it's given to..

But it's usually the captain that has final say over the dive site selection, so that's who I give the day's tip to. Also since we usually get spread out drifting in FLA, it's kinda nice being picked up 1st by the captain. YMMV.

No, why should they? As I said - the tip should have absolutely nothing to do with the salary they make or don't make. Tip's are not always intended to supplement an income, although that is what they end up doing

Exactly my point. It is an important part of their income, regardless of the how it *should* be. I don't get my head in the whole tipping argument and how it should be and all. I just try to tip well for everyone as I figure they need it.

But it's usually the captain that has final say over the dive site selection, so that's who I give the day's tip to.
That's not the case in Cozumel with the ops I dive with. The DM talks with us about where we want to go and then he tells the captain.

I give my crew complete autonomy with their tips - they are theirs after all and I don't get involved unless the clients give me the tips at the end of their trip, then I will divide it up based on who their crew was for the week. Other than that, I don't get involved mostly because it's none of my business, but also because I've never had to (except when an Instructor I used to help out a few years ago tried to keep all of the tips for herself). My crew does a great job of managing it and tipping out our behind the scenes guy - Santos. I cannot speak for how other shops handle this.

How much do DMs on Cozumel get paid? I've heard that they work for tips only in Hawai'i. Is that the case on Cozumel?

I tip according to the service I receive. My DM was being a bit unfriendly and gave me some @#$% on one day but on the last day was being my best buddy! He got tipped for 4 out of 5 days. I figure that even if they do get paid it's probably something like only 70 or 80 pesos per day plus they have a horrible job where they have to wear rubber suits and a bunch of cumbersome equipment and get all wet and expose themselves to potentially dangerous conditions so they should get tipped generously to compensate for their suffering.

I give my crew complete autonomy with their tips - they are theirs after all and I don't get involved unless the clients give me the tips at the end of their trip, then I will divide it up based on who their crew was for the week. Other than that, I don't get involved mostly because it's none of my business, but also because I've never had to (except when an Instructor I used to help out a few years ago tried to keep all of the tips for herself). My crew does a great job of managing it and tipping out our behind the scenes guy - Santos. I cannot speak for how other shops handle this.

Taking a different look at this, I sometimes think a reasonable tip added into the price of a dive would be easier. I know the problem with this could be that maybe a diver feels the dive/crew doesn't warrant a tip. On my part, I wouldn't have to worry about what denomination of bills I bring along (actually on my list of things to take with me the morning of a dive) and I wouldn't have to worry that my dive buddy didn't bring anything less than a $50 bill and he's going to ask me to loan it to him!

One of the places I golf has a strict no tipping policy. There is generally an expectation that during curbside club dropoff where someone will take your clubs and put them in a cart and clean your clubs afterward and take them to your vehicle, a few dollar tip is given. It's nice not worrying about finding some cash when all you want to do is get on the course and play. If the person takes a tip you offer, they will get in a lot of trouble.

I don't know what the crew makes per hour or as a salary but wouldn't it be nice to see a sign on the dive boat that reads "no tipping" instead of a jar with a sign that reads, "tips?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom