2airishuman buys a sailboat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on "getting hitched with" Bridget!
May she be the trustworthy, reliable, adventurous and fun companion you desire in her!
... and relatively low maintenance ... I dare say that's an important trait in all companions...

Keep us posted...

Nice boat, congrats!

Yep, the happiest of my sailing days was the day we sold the Catalina and gave away the Hobie..both on the same day:drunks:

Congratulations on your purchase. Changing the name on a boat is supposed to be a bad idea. We have owned three (still own one) boats and the only one that sank on us was the one whose name we changed.

Hope you really have a great time.

Thanks for all the kind words.

For background, big step for me though it is, this isn't my first boat. I had a 16' aluminum fishing boat with an 18 hp outboard on it for a number of years, and sold it some time ago after concluding that it wasn't the "on the water experience" that I wanted. I think I actually made money on that, but not much. I have accumulated 3 canoes, one quite new and made of Kevlar, and the others much older and made principally of wood.

They used to say that Minnesota has 10,000 lakes but the actual figure is higher. I've been at the helm of friends' and family member's boats, and rentals from resorts, in some of the largest and best known ones -- Lake of the Woods, Minnetonka, Vermilion, as well as some less well known ones and a few places out of state. Fishing boats, pontoons, ski boats, runabouts, jet skis. The boating scene here is very much based on smaller boats that are readily trailerable as there are only a handful of waters where launch facilities and slips exist to accommodate anything larger.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Vermilion
"Bridget" is the result of a search for a boat seaworthy enough to take on Lake Superior, small enough to be trailerable, shallow enough in draft to use most launching ramps, able to be single handed, large enough for a couple overnight or some friends during the day, economical to operate, and able to be used as a dive platform.
The previous owner only used the trailer for seasonal moves between a slip and storage, and will need all new brakes and lights. Otherwise the boat and motor are in good shape. Other than basic maintenance and cosmetics, I'm replacing a sea cock that doesn't meet my personal safety standards, adding a 4-step folding boarding ladder to the transom (as mentioned upthread), and probably making some electrical and electronics updates.
I'm anticipating diving the centerboard to replace the pennant (control cable) for it. It can't be done on the trailer because part of the trailer blocks access. That will be a tricky project.

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 244
I have a 26' Columbia MkII . Any diving I have done off it has been from a zodiac as my dive ladder construction is not complete.
One thing I learned about sailing is I used to get frustrated when the wind died and I could only move at 1 or 2 knots. Bring fishing gear with you and it changes your whole outlook.
Have fun. I have really been enjoying mine.

trailer has a 10' sliding tongue extension, to allow launching and retrieval without ending up on one of those youtube videos.
You have already identified the most important part of trailering a boat... not ending up on YouTube. xD

Good luck and fair seas! Also come up with some ingenious dive platform build and post it so we all want to copy you.

Thanks for all the kind words.

For background, big step for me though it is, this isn't my first boat. I had a 16' aluminum fishing boat with an 18 hp outboard on it for a number of years, and sold it some time ago after concluding that it wasn't the "on the water experience" that I wanted. I think I actually made money on that, but not much. I have accumulated 3 canoes, one quite new and made of Kevlar, and the others much older and made principally of wood.

They used to say that Minnesota has 10,000 lakes but the actual figure is higher. I've been at the helm of friends' and family member's boats, and rentals from resorts, in some of the largest and best known ones -- Lake of the Woods, Minnetonka, Vermilion, as well as some less well known ones and a few places out of state. Fishing boats, pontoons, ski boats, runabouts, jet skis. The boating scene here is very much based on smaller boats that are readily trailerable as there are only a handful of waters where launch facilities and slips exist to accommodate anything larger.
"Bridget" is the result of a search for a boat seaworthy enough to take on Lake Superior, small enough to be trailerable, shallow enough in draft to use most launching ramps, able to be single handed, large enough for a couple overnight or some friends during the day, economical to operate, and able to be used as a dive platform.
The previous owner only used the trailer for seasonal moves between a slip and storage, and will need all new brakes and lights. Otherwise the boat and motor are in good shape. Other than basic maintenance and cosmetics, I'm replacing a sea cock that doesn't meet my personal safety standards, adding a 4-step folding boarding ladder to the transom (as mentioned upthread), and probably making some electrical and electronics updates.
I'm anticipating diving the centerboard to replace the pennant (control cable) for it. It can't be done on the trailer because part of the trailer blocks access. That will be a tricky project.

Very nice, 2air. I would suggest a ladder that is open on the sides. I installed a telescoping one on my last boat. It's nice to be able to stand on the ladder, in the water while doffing fins. There's less chance of losing the fin.

I am in the beginning of a project dive boat myself. 1965 Bertram 25. Just pulled engines, outdrives, fuel tanks and took the hard top off today. I enjoy the work and play that comes with owning a boat. Good luck.

Congratulations! I like the name Bridget. She is beautiful. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures with her. :)

A very good friend of mine had the following to say after a couple of years of yacht ownership:

The best Yacht-Ownership Simulator is to dress in every item of clothing you own, then stand under a freezing shower tearing up $100 bills. If you enjoy that, then the cost of therapy or the cost of owning a boat will be about the same so you may as well get the yacht.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom