2nd stage necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see a lot of divers with a short hose necklaced 2nd stage and the octo or back-up is on the BC inflator hose. What is the advantage to this? Why the necklace? What do they pass to their buddy, the short hose tied around their neck or the short inflator hose? Where did this set-up come from? I'm just a rec diver but my standard set-up seems safer or more practical than this.

jason

Jason, forgive me for what I'm about to say, but . . .
you have 417 posts on this board and you haven't read ANY of the diatribes regarding the long hose primary and bungied secondary rig?

1: Advantage - the AAS is immediately available and will not flop about due to its coming disconnected from an octo keeper

2: The Necklace - so that the AAS is always in one exact place and is easy and quick to find.

3: The Buddy - the primary regulator on the long hose is passed to the OOA buddy

4: Where did it come from - The GUE/DIR folks

5: Safer and more practical - it's not (a personal opinion from a non-DIR diver)

The Kracken:
4: Where did it come from - The GUE/DIR folks

Absolutely wrong. The long hose and bungeed backup predates GUE and even the WKPP by a long shot. Many many divers use the long hose who are not GUE. I think most divers who use the long hose are not DIR, anti-DIR, or whatever. The long hose is the technical and cave diving standard.. GUE is not.

Jason B:
I see a lot of divers with a short hose necklaced 2nd stage and the octo or back-up is on the BC inflator hose. What is the advantage to this? Why the necklace? What do they pass to their buddy, the short hose tied around their neck or the short inflator hose? Where did this set-up come from? I'm just a rec diver but my standard set-up seems safer or more practical than this.

jason

A 'necklaced second' outside a Hogarthian/DIR rig is intended to keep that second, the primary, from drifting away. Long ago, and not in a galaxy far away, many regulators came equipped with a 'snap-on' necklace arrangement. I had one, I'll bet Bob3 still owns a few :eyebrow:

A necklaced second within a Hogarthian/DIR rig is also intended to prevent it from drifting away, however, the primary regulator is on a long hose and in an OOA situation the necklaced second is to be used by the donating diver and the long hose (primary) goes to the recipient

Resuming the discussion of NON-Hogarthian/DIR ...

If the "octo" is attached to a keeper then the OOA diver should use that because the necklace on the primary will likely preclude donating that reg.

HOWEVER, if the "octo" is actually a part of the BC hose then the primary reg should NOT be necklaced because in an OOA situation the donating diver will use the BC hose reg and donate the primary reg. A necklace in that situation will quickly charlie-foxtrot the process of donating gas.

I hope that made sense.

According to Cavern and Cave Manuals published in the 1980s by National Speleological Society/Cave Diving Section (NSS/CDS), long hoses were being used by cavers during the 1970s. This would pre-date GUE and DIR considerably...

Everyone thinking long hose should go back and reread the original post anyway.

"Absolutely wrong. The long hose and bungeed backup predates GUE and even the WKPP by a long shot"

OK, but the major support and promotion of this setup comes from the GUE/DIR fraternity.

Let's stick to the questions of "what is it" and "why".

Jason B:
I see a lot of divers with a short hose necklaced 2nd stage and the octo or back-up is on the BC inflator hose.

I've never seen the configuration you are describing. While it is rather common is for a diver to have a 7 foot primary hose, to which the primary second stage is attached, and a short (24", I think) hose connected to the bungeed backup regulator, I can't imagine any justification for the configuration that you describe.

What is the advantage to this?

There would be no advantage to the configuration you describe. In fact, I would not dive with someone using it because it would be very difficult for them to donate a reg, to say nothing of ascending whilst sharing air.

Why the necklace?

There is no point to the necklace in the configuration you describe. I suspect that it was invented by someone who misunderstands the long hose/bungee backup configuration, the "Octo+" configuration and pretty much every other aspect of buddy diving.

In the configuration I described above, the necklace positions the backup such that it can be reached easily (I can reach mine without using my hands). It also keeps the backup or the hose from dangling, becoming entangled and/or getting clogged with silt or other foreign matter. It also helps with streamlining.

What do they pass to their buddy, the short hose tied around their neck or the short inflator hose?
In the configuration you describe, I'd be afraid to ask.

If the diver has a primary on a long hose, then the primary is donated.

Where did this set-up come from?

I'm not aware of anyone advocating the configuration you describe.

With regard to the long hose/bungee backup, I believe that it came out of the cave diving community quite some time ago.

I'm just a rec diver but my standard set-up seems safer or more practical than this.

The configuration you describe is, IMHO, fundmentally unsafe for any type of diving.

The long hose/bungee is another matter. There are literally dozens of threads that discuss the merits and perceived disadvantages of this configuration. I have a strong preference for it because it (1) allows the divers sharing air to ascend horizontally while comfortably making their stops; (2) facilitates travelling while sharing air (such as exiting a wreck or returning to an upline; (3) positions the backup in a position where it can be easily reached by the donating diver; and (4) ensures that the OOG diver gets a regulator that is known to be working at the time of donation.

jason[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom