3mm full suit right now, good right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it depends. Dario, our DM, wore just a rashguard. Brrr

We wore full 7mm suits, about 4yrs old. We were never too warm and on a new dives I started to feel the cold the odd time around the 60 min mark. There were fellow Canadians on our boat for a few days and they had the new high-tech insulating Bare 5mm suits with Lavacore vest/hood combo. They were trying them out in anticipation of a Galapagos trip in a few months. The dad was way too hot. I can't say that's ever happened to us. I froze before taking a 3mm to Turks around Christmas, our first winter Caribbean dive trip. Wasn't much fun burning air like mad and shivering.

Why be cold?

Just got back and 3mm full seemed to be what most were diving in. Although some were in 3 mm shortys. I was in a 3mm full and very comfy on every dive averaging 45-60 min at depths of 75-80 ft max and 25 ft. was the minimum. It did rain a lot last week so something extra for topside might be a good idea.

even being canadian and been accustomed to minus 20 weather for the last month,ill be wearing a 3/2 full wetsuit to the Caribbean in 12 days im sure it will feel like a bathtub for the first day of diving but as the wek carries out i will be mor acclimated to the temps .being a new dive im going full for more a rash protection than anything my open water cert dives were in a 7/7 mm john and jacket in late Sept with 55 degrees f water temps and was comfortable

Wife and I are always the weirdos on the boat with no thermal protection. 80 degrees is like bath water to me and I certainly don't have a high tolerance for cold water. I own several thickness suits for home, but I've never gotten cold in Coz in just shorts. These threads are always funny due to how different everyone is. How much weight does it take to get down wearing a freakin' 7mill full suit? For those that think Coz is chilly, are there warmer places to dive? I've been quite a few places around the block and aside from a hot springs, Coz is pretty darn toasty.

2 years ago we were in the Bahamas doing an advance snorkel tour.we were in our trunks and i jumped in and was saying how warm the water was (being Canadian)others decided not to put their wetsuits on and followed in and quickly turned around to grab wetsuits ooops sorry snicker snicker difference of living in a cold climate compared to warm climate

How much weight does it take to get down wearing a freakin' 7mill full suit?

4lbs with a 120. I will be taking down 1lbs weights next time as I probably only needed 2lbs.

Are there any issues with 120 and no wetsuit? That's some negative buoyancy for sure!

I'm the Larry that never wears a wetsuit & prefer to be a bit chilly (which I may be when drying off on the boat) over hot. After 20 years of diving in Cozumel with most trips being late Jan to mid Feb the coldest temp my computer has registered is 76 F. Everyone has a different idea of "cold" & the vast majority of people I've dove with need some form of protection from the cold water so bring what you have in a 3 - 5 MM suit.

4lbs with a 120. I will be taking down 1lbs weights next time as I probably only needed 2lbs.

Are there any issues with 120 and no wetsuit? That's some negative buoyancy for sure!

I use 2 lbs. with the 120's without a wetsuit but I have a little built in buoyancy at around 240 lbs. I just put a 2lb weight on a tank band.

Last February temps were at 78 and I was fine in a 3/2 full suite until one day we swam through some fresh water run off, temp went down to 74 for a little while. After that I was wearing a shorty over my 3/2 to keep warm.

A good windbreaker between dives can make a big difference too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom