3½mm or 5mm suit diving Komodo, Alor and the Banda Sea in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
End of August I am heading to Indonesia for a long diving holiday.

But it is 8 years since I last dove Indonesia, so I am a little unsure what wetsuit to pack.
I am usually comfy in my 3½mm until 22 degrees Celsius. Below 22 degrees Celsius I prefer my 5mm.

Option A) 3½mm full wetsuit + separate vest with hood.

Option B) 5mm full wetsuit + separate vest with hood.

What do guys recommend...3½mm or 5mm wetsuit?

Last year, in Komodo I used 5mm and a hood. In the south, I added a hooded vest. It was a little warmer in Alor as I can remember. I hate being cold, my 5 mm is my go to wetsuit.
If you stop in Bali for Mola Mola on the way, Nusa Penida had really cold thermocline. I wished I had my 7mm.
It's better to be warmer then cold.

I did Komodo & Alor in June with an old 3mm suit and found I had to borrow a Hooded Vest for about half the dives. Fortunately, my boat (Damai) had lots of gear available. I used a 1mm hood when I didn't wear the hooded vest. Next time I go I'll be picking up my own hooded vest and a newer 3mm. This provides the flexibility to shed the vest if you hit warmer conditions. If you tend to get cold on many dives you might be better with a 5mm and a light hood or beanie.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I used my 5mm, my hooded vest and gloves for diving South Africa this March....in False Bay off Simon's Town the water temperature was only 11-12 degrees Celsius.
So with that combo I think that I should be pretty toasty in Indonesia ;-)

I only had 8 dives inside False Bay where the temperature is 11-12 degrees Celsius...so I did not want to invest in a dry suit for that ;-) It was okay as long as you kept active...dives were maximum 45 minutes.
Amazingly the local dive guides also had no dry suits....even though they dive in these temperatures months on end.

definitely option B... i can survive most dives in indonesia in a skin with hooded vest (pic is in raja) - but not southern komodo or alor if you want to do 3 - 4 long dives a day (wicked thermoclines!) banda you'd be ok in a skin given your comments about ZA... definitely need full suit as there are plenty of floating stingers and big hydroids that love to brush up against bear legs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom