3½mm or 5mm suit diving Komodo, Alor and the Banda Sea in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a month working in Komodo, 25*/26*C is the new 27*/28*C. I usually wear, 2mm leggings and a light 4th Element top. This season, I used a 3mm wetsuit. Most divers used a 5mm wetsuit. Southern Komodo, water average temps were 22-23*C, central and northern Komodo, 26*C were about the average. These temperatures are for August, typically the coldest month in S. Komodo.

Just got back from Komodo and RA last month. There were a few days when I decided to wear a 3mm. Most other times I was in a 0.5mm rashy and shorts. I dont like the cold either and the 3mm was fine. I forgot the wetsuit on one dive in Komodo which I found too cold for my rashy and borrowed a spare 5mm- never again. Way too hot and constrictive. Id take a 3mm and combine it with a thicker rashy if you really need to but I dont think you'll ever need a 5mm.

We all have different tolerance for water temp ... came back from a 12 day trip to Komodo (north, central, south) in August and did all dives with a sharkskin top and shorts in the north and central, sharkskin top and pants in the south (and night dives for extra protection). Never felt cold ... but I was the only one running warm. The other 14 divers were all wearing 5mm wetsuits and feeling cold.

Diving Komodo in September 2016 I just wore a 3mm long steamer, through I did bring a Sharkskin vest in case of thermoclines like I experienced in Banda... but never needed it.

After 3-4 days of 4-5 dives / day in South Komodo, my core body temperature drops & I usually layer over 3mm full wetsuit with 2mm shorty for the rest of the diving trip.

Back
Top Bottom