4 Day Dive Trips From Tokyo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair point about traffic in Izu! Once took me 4 hours to get from IOP to the Tomei... got to be 30 kilometers?? But then it was Monday afternoon on a long weekend... The trick is to leave early going both ways...

Geoff... how's the diving in Shimoda? Not been to that part of Izu yet.

It is probably just as easy to get to Guam or Saipan as it is to get to Okinawa and also probably cheaper (unless you. The added bonus is 85 deg F (29 deg C) if it is warmer water that you are looking for.

I can't agree about travel times. From Central Tokyo, Guam is probably 8 hours travel time, Okinawa is around 4. The whole experience is a lot more pleasant too! You can be diving the same day you fly if you head to Naha.

Guam: 90 mins to Narita, 2 hours check in & immigration for interntional flight then 4 hours to Guam and queuing up again for US immigration.
Okinawa: 30 mins travel to Haneda, 10 mins check in (it actually took me 2 mins), 2.5 hour flight.

For JAL internal flights at Haneda, you can use a barcode they send to your mobile phone to check in. I got off the monorail, went up 3 escalators (5 mins walk), used my mobile to get through the 2 minute security check and voila - arrived directly at the gate where I used my mobile again to get on the plane. From getting off the monorail to being at the gate took less than 10 minutes.

Compared with the joys of Narita, and the diving being better in Okinawa there is no way I'm ever going to Guam again, except as a stop for Palau/Yap/Truk etc.

and probably cheaper

Skymark fly to Naha for 12k for a single leg, which is pretty reasonable.

Geoff... how's the diving in Shimoda? Not been to that part of Izu yet.

It's nice, Mikimoto is a great site... huge currents, reasonable chance of seeing hammerheads, superb soft corals and lots of marine life. Definitely the toughest diving I have seen in Japan, definitely not for the inexperienced - I think the local operators put a minimum 50 dives experience limit on it.

It's nice, Mikimoto is a great site... huge currents, reasonable chance of seeing hammerheads, superb soft corals and lots of marine life. Definitely the toughest diving I have seen in Japan, definitely not for the inexperienced - I think the local operators put a minimum 50 dives experience limit on it.

The 50 dive minimum and AOW rating is by the Mikomoto Diving Association. (Note Mikomoto, not Mikimoto.)

We prefer Rescue Diver level, plus some additional training to do SMB deployment, drift diving, negative entries, etc.

Geoff_H,

You are correct about it being cheap to get to Okinawa on miles but my comment was based on purchasing a ticket.

You are also correct about it being easier to fly to Okinawa from Haneda than to Guam from Narita but my preference for diving when I go to Okinawa is the Kerama Islands so that means an overnight before being able to catch a dive boat the next morning. Also, seeing that I am an "avowed" warm water diver, Okinawa is a bit cold for me this time of year. When I do go there I usually make my arrangements through Doug Bennett at

Okinawa Diving - Reef Encounters - Go Diving in Okinawa with Reef Encounters! English and Japanese speaking full service dive shop.

You are also correct that Guam isn't a Palau, Yap or Truk but after lived there for 3 years I have to say that there is some great diving to be had without having to even set foot on a boat. Should you ever decide to give Guam another chance I highly recommend a guy by the name of Paul Shida. He has been living and diving on Guam for over 24 years and does only small groups (6 divers max) for customized boat trips. He caters mostly to Japanese but is fluent in English. His shop is "Guam Paul's Diving" at the Onward Beach Resort Hotel; Tel: 671-649-6482.

グアム ダイビングショップ|ポールズダイビング|こだわりの少人数制

GUAM Paul's Diving

Mikomoto is a place that I hope to dive one of these days.

Dive safe

You are correct about it being cheap to get to Okinawa on miles but my comment was based on urchasing a ticket.

Mine was too, it's 12,000 yen each way on Skymark - about 120 USD.

Thanks for the Guam info, I'll look Paul up if I do go back in the future. And diving in 29C waters with no need for a 5mm wetsuit is a definite plus!

Mine was too, it's 12,000 yen each way on Skymark - about 120 USD.

Thanks for the Guam info, I'll look Paul up if I do go back in the future. And diving in 29C waters with no need for a 5mm wetsuit is a definite plus!

Geoff_H,

My bust. When you said 12k I assumed (gets me in trouble all the time) you were talking about frequent flyer miles and not yen. 12,000 yen is definitely a great price to Okinawa.

Dang.......

How can I convince my better half to let me go for a few days..... she'll kill me if I go somewhere warm without her... Hmmmm need to work on this one....

avoiding Narita is truly a blessing....

Still, if you can avoid the traffic, nothing wrong with Izu....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom