4th Element Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone out there dive with 4th Element undergarments? My LDS is going to become a dealer for them & I'm curious at what people think of them. I'm looking at the heavier 2 pc. undergarments. Right now I dive a generic 300gm fleece undergarment & have had past trouble with the suit blocking the exhaust valve of my drysuit & also would like something a tad warmer, yet still flexible (I really hate the feeling of the kid in a "Christmas Story" when he can't move his arms). Any thoughts?

I love my 4th E Arctics, Tammy. I have the 2 piece. Great flexibility and just as warm as DUI 300s (560gm). I prefer the 2 piece as I have a long torso and short legs at 5' 10". A full-suit tends to ride up, so to speak, on valve drills. :)

Tammy,
The 4th Element stuff is excellent in general but I'd suggest that the Arctics may not be the best choice for the type of diving you want to do.

I'd say get the Arctic socks and put Xerotherm socks underneath them for good feet insulation.
Personally I think the Xerotherm set with the Arctic socks plus a good 400g thinsulate is the best option. Although expensive, the Santi 400g is superb , especially in cold water where you might have significant amounts of deco to consider.

The Santi is a good choice provided your current ds has room for it and you have the money.

The nice thing about both the Santi and the 4th element stuff is that they both retain warmth if you get a leak and are both washable without any significant degradation in performance. I have had Xerotherms for over 5 years and they are still warm but long term I would strongly recommend a second set as they do lose a little warmth over time.

The one thing I specifically like about the Xerotherms over the Arctics is that they can be used as a base layer under a drysuit in warmer water ie 24C and above and for me they are warm enough. The Xerotherms dry very quickly compared to the Arctics.

The one downside to a 400g for you I think is that you cave dive in Florida if I'm not mistaken (?) and the 400g would be extremely warm out of the water in those conditions. Really long dive times might make the 400g worthwhile but the sauna on the surface might be a bit of a nightmare.

Ultimately if that doesn't work, a heated vest will be the solution but your piggy bank will need to be a big one for that I guess.

PS In the UK it's not uncommon for ladies to state that the 4th Element stuff is made for men so asking your local shop to borrow a set for a dive might be a good idea.

Last edited:
I've dived the Arctics and the Halo. For me, the Arctics are not warm enough for 50 degree water, and the sizing didn't work for me at all. The Halo is a wonderful undergarment, maximizing insulation for very little bulk. It's easy to get on and off. I wish it had better location of pockets (who on earth can get to a pocket on the outside of their arm without completely removing the top half of the dry suit?), but the reason I no longer dive the UG is that the shoulder pads seriously impacted my ability to reach my valves. If you've gone RB, you may not care any more.

I dive with dry base 2 piece and the Halo3d. Plenty warm enough for waters here on Vancouver island. My wife who tends to feel a bit colder has xeotherm pants and shirt underneather her halo3d and hasn't complained since

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tammy,
The 4th Element stuff is excellent in general but I'd suggest that the Arctics may not be the best choice for the type of diving you want to do.

I'd say get the Arctic socks and put Xerotherm socks underneath them for good feet insulation.
Personally I think the Xerotherm set with the Arctic socks plus a good 400g thinsulate is the best option. Although expensive, the Santi 400g is superb , especially in cold water where you might have significant amounts of deco to consider.

The Santi is a good choice provided your current ds has room for it and you have the money.

The nice thing about both the Santi and the 4th element stuff is that they both retain warmth if you get a leak and are both washable without any significant degradation in performance. I have had Xerotherms for over 5 years and they are still warm but long term I would strongly recommend a second set as they do lose a little warmth over time.

The one thing I specifically like about the Xerotherms over the Arctics is that they can be used as a base layer under a drysuit in warmer water ie 24C and above and for me they are warm enough. The Xerotherms dry very quickly compared to the Arctics.

The one downside to a 400g for you I think is that you cave dive in Florida if I'm not mistaken (?) and the 400g would be extremely warm out of the water in those conditions. Really long dive times might make the 400g worthwhile but the sauna on the surface might be a bit of a nightmare.

Ultimately if that doesn't work, a heated vest will be the solution but your piggy bank will need to be a big one for that I guess.

PS In the UK it's not uncommon for ladies to state that the 4th Element stuff is made for men so asking your local shop to borrow a set for a dive might be a good idea.

I have been currently wearing a 300 gm fleece with a DUI base layer. In the caves it is perfect, however, the quarry I dive in KY, is 42 degrees below 60 ft. & after about 30 min.... I'm freezing. This winter I am planning to log as many hours as I can on my rebreather, so I can start CCR Cave. Of course the rebreather means longer cold water dives. I typically wear men's sized stuff any way, as I am 5'6" & 185 lbs, as women's dive equipment rarely fits me. I typically try to get my undergarments altered to better fit me.

I have the artic socks. I really like them. However in the colder months here in Ohio I need to wear a pair of socks underneath them so my feet aren't cold. I just dove them this evening with water temps in the mid 40s and was fine. I didn't need the extra pair underneath. I most likely won't start wearing a pair underneath until mid December'ish.

I have been currently wearing a 300 gm fleece with a DUI base layer. In the caves it is perfect, however, the quarry I dive in KY, is 42 degrees below 60 ft. & after about 30 min.... I'm freezing. This winter I am planning to log as many hours as I can on my rebreather, so I can start CCR Cave. Of course the rebreather means longer cold water dives. I typically wear men's sized stuff any way, as I am 5'6" & 185 lbs, as women's dive equipment rarely fits me. I typically try to get my undergarments altered to better fit me.

I have a halo 3D and love it. They have a really good assortment of women's sizes, there shouldn't be any need to get the men's version. I am a couple of inches shorter than you and a couple of pounds heavier (although I am compact and tend to be able to wear smaller sizes than most others of my weight) and the 12-14 fits me perfectly. And as a bonus you look like a ninja turtle wearing it :dork2:

I have a pair of Arctic socks, but relegated them to stand-by status. I've also tried Lava socks, but nothing seems to beat a pair of thick REI wool-blend mountaineering socks and a silk liner sock and this seems to hold up well here in the Puget Sound, cold freshwater lakes, and missile silos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom