50 Y/o Newbie Taking Classes By Myself...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep taking classes and work your way to Master Diver.
That way you'll always have a buddy (your dive instructor)

Hi everyone, first post for me. I have decided to pursue a dream of mine to learn to scuba dive, kinda later in life I know. But I'm healthy and strong.

If you have good mobility overall and are free of serious respiratory problems, and have gone over the stuff on the medical statement with your doc, you'll be fine on that score.

My question is this..... Since I am the only one I know here in my circle who has this interest, I'll be taking the pool part of my training, and certification all by my lonesome. Which also means that any future resort diving I do...will be by my lonesome. Since diving is a buddy sport...how awkward will this be. Are there usually other solo divers I should be able to buddy with?

I think that's a good question. You've received quite a few answers, already, I'll provide some counterpoint since it isn't always roses and cherries. I am in a similar situation since my spouse does not have any interest in diving.

It has been my experience that the quality of the buddy relationships I encounter while traveling is, at best, variable. I am hoping to find dive buddies locally and, ultimately, be able to travel with them or with a shared circle of friends. I also question the received wisdom regarding the importance of diving in buddy pairs and anticipate that I will make dives that are intentionally solo as soon as I am ready.

Thanks for any insight on what I might expect as an odd wo(man) out!

...Boy it would be so much easier if I had a dive buddy...hubbys an avid sailor, but no interest in diving, I have no interest in sailing, go figure. Everyone I've been in contact with so far at training and dive shops has been super friendly. I'm hoping I'll have nothing to worry about.

I have been involved in the performing arts, for years, in a number of capacities where the other participants are predominantly female. I receive quite a bit of attention and encouragement that I sometimes suspect may not have entirely to do with my artistic contributions. Some of it is part of a deliberate attempt to include men to maintain gender balance. Some of it is because some parts/roles require men. Some of it because they need muscle to move stuff and get things done. But to be honest, some of it is because they're sort of, not really, mostly not on purpose, flirting.

I set limits and maintain appropriate distance, have fun with it, and enjoy the extra attention.

It may be your experience that diving, for you, has a similar dynamic. Women not part of an established buddy pair or group are uncommon on dive boats, in my limited experience.

Have fun.

, kinda later in life I know. But I'm healthy and strong. My question is this.....

-Kim

50 is "later in life" really? Just go dive you'll be fine. There will be buddies out there if you want them. You may have to work a little harder to find them, but they will be there. And after a number of dives, maybe more than you think is necessary then, if not now, you may be diving solo.

There are times, like when you are new, that a buddy is a really good idea. And none of us are perfect always. Certainly not in new places and new circumstances. But you may find places where that buddy is not really needed. That said diving with a competent, and aware, buddy is the ideal if it is seldom realized.

I'll thrown in this about new places/circumstances. Though I really do try to look at the next dive as my very first, I am particularly careful when it's a new site. Advice from locals/possible buddy or a local shop is always a good idea. Particularly if it involves current, tide, low viz. Right now wish I had the $ to find such places.

Thanks everybody, I'm excited to start. Boy it would be so much easier if I had a dive buddy...hubbys an avid sailor, but no interest in diving, I have no interest in sailing, go figure. Everyone I've been in contact with so far at training and dive shops has been super friendly. I'm hoping I'll have nothing to worry about.
You've probably gotten you C-card by now. I'm also a single in my group of friends as none have wanted to get certified. I'm in SE Michigan and always looking for dive buddies. Where do you dive locally?

Yay! Thank you for posting this. I'm in my late 40s and just starting out myself. I have a friend in another state who inspired me to get into diving, but I'm not sure how much I'd be able to dive with that person. Being the lone woman out doesn't bother me much. I'm used to often being the only woman in my shooting classes. But diving is different than shooting - no one bats an eye at a woman by herself at the range, but you need a dive buddy. I'm sure I'll find people to team up with.

I started diving at about the same age as the OP. I am also in Michigan, and several local dive shops offer shop sponsored local dives a few times a month. The shop I work with has dives after work during the week, and then Saturday morning dives a couple of times a month. At least one Divemaster is always present, so you will have a partner available. Check with your LDS, that's always a good place to start.

I certified the day I turned 71. It's a constant search for buddy's but I find most folks are willing to put up with an old guy. Especially once they realize I can hump my own gear and I work hard a being a good buddy. I'm up front with my limitations (I don't go fast for anyone) but other than that folks are learning to trust my skills. I spend a lot of pool time making sure I'm comfortable and sharp in the water.

Relax, be a good buddy, have fun, and you will get along great. I've met some wonderful instabuddies from all over. I'll dive with you if we are ever near the same patch of water.

First, you are not too old. If you are healthy, then no problems to learn diving.

Second, a buddy. Here there are clubs and if you are member of it, you will have a buddy. Go diving as much as possible. Maybe use facebook groups too. The decision of diving solo can be made if you are more experienced, but not directly now, that is not a good idea.
A club, or maybe the divecenter you will follow the course can help you to find a buddy. Some divecenters offer dives after courses too. Then they buddy up you to another diver. Don't worry.

I started diving all alone and find myself in a very good group. That was my luck. I dived with them with several different buddies. Diving with the same buddy is comfortable, diving with different buddies is experimental. It teaches you a lot. This year my wife started to dive also. During her first dives I was always her buddy or her tail. But after some dives I refused to be her buddy and said her to dive without me. At first it is very good to dive with an experienced diver whom you trust but if she dives only with me, she will be my follower which slows her learning process dramatically. Today sometimes we dive together but mostly she dives with other buddies and she is learning something from all of her different buddies.

Short version :) Don’t worry to dive with different buddies, it is much better for you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom