5mm for warm water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok thanks to one of you guys i found a site that has a stock 6x wetsuit. That will fit me just fine i think even th 5x might fit. But the only one they have big enugh is in a 5mm is that to much for the florida key's water. i was told to expect 70degrees for my ow cert. in march i plan atleast one or two more florida key dives this summer. Might even go to caymen on a cruise. Will the 5mm be to much.
Now i also plan to dive local which for indiana could mean water from 60 o 75 degrees.

for me - 70 is COLD. I would be wearing a 7mm with a hood.

A 5 mm suit would be comfortable for water in the 70s (at least the mid- to upper 70s) for many people. But it depends on your cold tolerance. The 60s are another matter, but you could always layer a vest or core warmer over the suit for colder water.

Look at a "Waterproof" Lynx 5mm wetsuit. Extremely well made suit and it will keep you warm in those temperature ranges. If you need more warmth, get a hooded vest and layer them.

Tim,

I think you would find a 5mm OK for 70* water. I have aHenderson Hyperstetch 5mm and have dove some Florida springs at 70 to 72* very comfortably, with almost 2 hours in the water. There are a lot of variables, such as air temp and wind when you surface, but 5mm should work. It'll even be OK in warmer water should you go someplace where the water is 80*, such as Bonaire or Cozumel---or anywhere else in the Caribbean.

Most times I can wear a 1.5 mil down to about 77*, but as I get a little older I'm thinking of doing a 3mm. That being said, the same places I wear the 1.5 I have also worn my 5mm and am not overly warm.

As a few people have said to you, you can always pull the neck out a little to let some water in. But if you get cold diving isn't fun. So really, in the water you can't be too warm. Guess that's another reason I don't dive anywhere north of Florida and preferrably 500 to 1000 miles south of there.

There are people who will disagree with me here, but I don't think there's such a thing as being too warm in a wetsuit....whenever you get warm, just flush some water through. I dove a 7mm wetsuit in 84 degree water....I never felt uncomfortable, and in fact, I was the most comfortable on our surface interval between our twilight and night dive.

It's definitely better to be a little warm than a little cold. The colder you are, the more likely you are to shiver and suck air down....on a vacation, the last thing you want to do is to shorten your bottom time, if it would be as easy as having a thicker wetsuit to warm.

I concur, you really cant be too warm.

The only problem is that thicker suits are usually a little less flexable, this is quite noticable between say a 3mm and a 5mm, but becomes very noticable at 7mm with a hood, as I see you are quite a big guy, it may be prudent to think of a two piece system (you didnt mention if the suit you were condsidering was a mono type suit or a two piece) which usually fits better and if its not too cold leaving the top off is easy. In a mono type suit, unless its a very good fit you may feel a bit restricted.

Before you buy, I would suggest trying them both.

Ok thanks to one of you guys i found a site that has a stock 6x wetsuit. That will fit me just fine i think even th 5x might fit. But the only one they have big enugh is in a 5mm is that to much for the florida key's water. i was told to expect 70degrees for my ow cert. in march i plan atleast one or two more florida key dives this summer. Might even go to caymen on a cruise. Will the 5mm be to much.
Now i also plan to dive local which for indiana could mean water from 60 o 75 degrees.

It really depends on your cold tolerance. I know a guy who dives only in warm water (e.g., Carribean, Indonesia) and he wears a 5mm because he gets cold easily.

I agree that it's better to err on the side of getting too thick of a wetsuit (without getting ridiculously thick, of course) -- I hate getting cold on a dive.

It was a mono they have a 2 peice i think. I think the only 3mm in my size was a 2 piece.
I concur, you really cant be too warm.

The only problem is that thicker suits are usually a little less flexable, this is quite noticable between say a 3mm and a 5mm, but becomes very noticable at 7mm with a hood, as I see you are quite a big guy, it may be prudent to think of a two piece system (you didnt mention if the suit you were condsidering was a mono type suit or a two piece) which usually fits better and if its not too cold leaving the top off is easy. In a mono type suit, unless its a very good fit you may feel a bit restricted.

Before you buy, I would suggest trying them both.

Back
Top Bottom