7mm arctic.. Too Thick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that you already decided... you would not have been the only one in 7mm. I know at least a couple of people who take their 7mm, and not just because it's their only wetsuit. They have tested other suits, and know they chill extremely easy.

I know a whole lot of women who prefer 5mm and would freeze in 1mm. I myself get cold in 3mm when I do multiple dives - even on Bonaire. I prefer 3mm but 7mm on my core. Next time I might pack my 5mm too for the 3rd+ dives of the day.

So, the shorts divers and 1mm's will look at you funny but there will be a lot of people who will understand. It will be a pain donning and doffing 7mm though. If you are flying from Sweden you should have enough luggage allowance to drag a few good options, and don't worry about the food. There's plenty.

pikkii you amplify some important points. First we are all different. The second is that it depends how much you will be diving. When we think of Bonaire we envision the 4+ dives per day and 20+ dive week. Those divers will have a cumulative energy drain and need more protection. Others are content to mosey along with a few dives a day and they can get by with a lot less. The same holds true for dive duration, we averaged a solid hour. We exited some dives with divers who were not even parked yet when we went in, they obviously had lesser exposure to the water. Dive frequency/length is the variable that is often overlooked.

When we were the in late April of 17 the water was a stable 82F. I saw virtually nobody diving with less than a neoprene shorty Swimsuits or even a Lycra skins were rare as top layers. Those doing it are either exceptionally cold tolerant, light divers or cold.

When I found myself warmer in my 2mm shorty than a marginal fitting 3mm full suit it really drove the fit, fit fit requirement home. Wearing an item is one thing, having a primo fit is quite another.

Pete

I sure hope the OP isn't freezing in Bonaire today.

I'm one of those who brought my 7/5 fullsuit to Bonaire in April and I was not sorry at all; I was very happy. Sure, it was a PITA to put it on but I was warm on all my dives. We did 4 to 5 dives/day. My buddy wore his 5mm fullsuit and was comfortable, but he doesn't get cold as easily. A fullsuit will also protect you from jellyfish stings in the water, and provides some padding if you fall on entry or exit. That ironshore can be a real b***h.

I wonder if part of the difference between April and mid-August is that the surrounding air temperature is also considerably warmer. So you don't get as chilled by evaporation during your SI.

And I'd guess the water is closer to 82-4' or higher now than in April when it was 82'. I'm one of those 4/dives day swimsuit divers but I do that everywhere - even in colder water. I don't remember being cold in early June. In fact I remember my thin buddy removing part of his wetsuit during afternoon dives.

But I carry my own insulation also...:D

and provides some padding if you fall on entry or exit. That ironshore can be a real b***h.
Seems like neoprene shinguards would be a big seller there...

I wonder if Dean is gong to ruin the viz this weekend...

I just think it's individual differences.
I was blistering hot 5 minutes after I got out of water in April after every hour dive I did - even when I had gotten all blue-lipped. I am not sure how long dives everyone does but I am sure some nekkid divers do as long and as many dives as I do, and still come up claiming they are warm. Some people did considerably less and shorter dives but that does not explain it all, people just are different. I have come to admit I can't take multiple long dives a day, days in a row, without succumbing to cold even when the air temp is uncomfortably hot.

I can't even imagine getting into a 7mm suit in 90 degree heat. Ouch. Sweatfest.

I wasn't cold at all on the surface in April, it was nice & hot at that time. It's underwater that I've been chilled before (in a 3mm fullsuit in 80F water). Never a good thing when you start to shiver 20 minutes into a dive. I am thankful I had that 7/5 suit with me; I ended up with 5 days of very comfortable, long dives. The only time i was truly uncomfortable was before the first dive on the first day, when I struggled to get back in my wetsuit after a year (they shrink over the winter :wink: ). But then I got in the water and was glad I brought that suit.

Hurricane Dean shouldn't affect much; it's passing a lot higher north than the Netherlands Antilles.

Well, I'm back.

Very glad I brought the 7mm, I wasn't too hot, nor too cold- It was absolutely perfect. I did leave the back zipper 40% open though, and the ankle zippers were open aswell.

Getting it on & off was a PITA, but I just took a quick dip before assembling my gear and so forth to stay cool. Lots of water helped aswell :)

Trip report coming soon :)

piikki:
are flying from Sweden you should have enough luggage allowance to drag a few good options, and don't worry about the food. There's plenty.

You have to bring your own "Capt'n Crunch". They don't have any there.

How uncivilized. :D

Terry

Cobra8472:
Well, I'm back.

Very glad I brought the 7mm, I wasn't too hot, nor too cold- It was absolutely perfect. I did leave the back zipper 40% open though, and the ankle zippers were open aswell.

Getting it on & off was a PITA, but I just took a quick dip before assembling my gear and so forth to stay cool. Lots of water helped aswell :)

Trip report coming soon :)

What were the water temps? I'm going to Curacao in a couple weeks and plan to bring my 5mm. I get chilled very quickly so I don't really care what anyone says or what everyone else is wearing. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom