8/10/08 - Lake Travis Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey are you home today?

I will be at the Texas Association of Broadcasters Convention tomorrow in Austin.

Are you going? If so, call me to bring your shirt, and you can bring my money with interest.

:D

Shawn O'Shea

Hey there. I'm finally home. I'll be around the house most of the day tomorrow. Have to go to S. Austin around 2:30pm. Let me know how this works with your schedule. Feel free to give me a call.

ONE Spot remaining.......

1 spot remaining? That's great! I still think it has Shawn's name on it.

1 spot remaining? That's great! I still think it has Shawn's name on it.

Sounds like a lot of fun. This year I am team leader on the uw cleanup with the Travis County Emergency Unit so I will need to pass on Robert's wonderful offer. We are assigned the West Side of Sandy Creek.

Shawn O'Shea

Probably best not to respond in this thread but while my time with Robert has been limited I would have to say not only is he one of the best operators I have had the pleasure of diving with but he is also one of the nicest guys you could meet.

If after 18+ months and less than 24 dives you are nit-picking liability wording in a boiler-plate release I am wondering if either you really got the point of your first law class or perhaps you are just too In10se for the sport.

Either way if this kind of stuff really affects your daily life and the amount of fun you have doing something, then maybe something without the inherient risks you perceive might better suit you.

As for me, I accept the rewards as far greater than the risk and I accept the responsibility to analyze the risk before going on any dive, whether that risk is the equipment I am diving with, the training I have to successfully complete the dive and the risk associated with the people I dive with. Maybe with more training and experience you will learn how to balance risks and rewards.

In the meantime I have no problems whatsoever diving with Robert and even recommended his entire operation to a guy in OK who is looking to do the same thing on another lake.

Wish I could go on either the LTS Sunday trip or the Campout but I have to usher at a wedding... and have breakfast with grandbaby Saturday morning and then off to CSSP...

I really am not trying to flame you and if you take it that way I apologize in advance but since a Cher/Moonstruck scene is not possible I dont know how to say Snap Out Of It...

Oh and I hope LM doesnt see this

Oh goodness, I saw it, and its by great restraint I resist the urge to flame. In scuba diving we are taking a risk everytime we go out. There is always a risk for injury and death, and since its a buddy sport we are also taking a risk of them being the ones to cause such in us. Its why one must trust the people they are with. Its why I had a hard time in this sport, I had to adapt my independant way of thinking and learn to first trust myself to be a buddy and also to trust someone else. The need for waivers protects our sport and our local business from people being a holes. If a person is not prepared to sign the waiver then they dont get the service the business offers. Also that waiver should not be signed if you arent prepared to follow it. If anyone tries to be frivolous and take on Roberts waiver and I lose the ability to use his business Ill cyber stalk and hunt that person down and make them eat the waiver.

In skydiving, we not only sign waivers that are the same but we then read them line for line, word for word on video tape. Regardless of a waiver, everyone in this sport is responsible for thier life, and to blame or consider blaming it on anyone else means that maybe they should take up golf, I dont think golf makes you sign a waiver

What is going on here? Did no one read that bani adventure thread where Roman died and 9 other people suffered horribly because of the dive boat owners neglect? My concerns are valid. That waiver I'm going to sign would release Robert from that same level of neglect if it were to happen here in the US of A. That should bother everyone who signs it. If he didn't have a solid local reputation I wouldn't sign it. Now I'm being told to take up golf over my concerns ... ??? I'm being flamed over real issues???

You guys don't want me around over my expressed concerns about the waiver then no problem. Let me know here, scratch me off the trip ... and I'll go my marry way.

BTW ... golf sux imho. It's too boring.

The PADI Boat Travel and Scuba Diving Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Agreement and PADI Standard Safe Diving Practices Statement of Understanding is required to dive with Lake Travis Scuba.

Any comments or questions about the forms should be directed to PADI USA.

Last edited:
There is always a risk for injury and death, and since its a buddy sport we are also taking a risk of them being the ones to cause such in us. Its why one must trust the people they are with. Its why I had a hard time in this sport, I had to adapt my independant way of thinking and learn to first trust myself to be a buddy and also to trust someone else.

I respect your opinion. But I think that RECREATIONAL Scuba diving with proper training is a SAFE sport and is a lot less dangerous within NDL than many other sports, including football. I don't break bones when I dive. It's not a contact sport. I find it very relaxing and beneficial to my entire body. Running is a sport that seems to hurt my feet, ankles, shins, back. So I like to dive.

If you have a Solo certification with the necessary planning and redundancy (like redundant air source) a buddy is also not necessary to diving.

I only trust myself, my self sufficiency, my skills and my ability to resolve problems on land, underwater and on the surface. I can dive with anyone because I don't rely on anyone underwater except myself. This is how I learned to improve my diving abilities early on.

Guess I was just trained that way. I did a lot of practicing and don't push any limits diving. I normally use a very conservative dive profile most of the time.

That's just me. So however you enjoy the sport is of course up to you.

Safe and FUN diving, release or no release

Shawn O'Shea

What is going on here? Did no one read that bani adventure thread where Roman died and 9 other people suffered horribly because of the dive boat owners neglect? My concerns are valid. That waiver I'm going to sign would release Robert from that same level of neglect if it were to happen here in the US of A. That should bother everyone who signs it. If he didn't have a solid local reputation I wouldn't sign it. Now I'm being told to take up golf over my concerns ... ??? I'm being flamed over real issues???

You guys don't want me around over my expressed concerns about the waiver then no problem. Let me know here, scratch me off the trip ... and I'll go my marry way.

BTW ... golf sux imho. It's too boring.

My suggestion is keep on diving. Rely on yourself not a dive operation to surface and return safe.

Best of luck, I think chasing a ball around a course is boring too, unless it is torpedo golf underwater with an obstacle course. That is challenging and a lot of fun, with teams toooooo......................:D

Shawn O'Shea

Thanks scubashawn. Considering that I've dropped close to $4000 in the last three weeks on diving gear ... hehehe yup I'm going to dive a bunch. For a guy with an OCD like mine, it's just like heroine. All I really wanna do now is dive, and if I cannot go diving ... I'm drooling over dive gear. I'm always refreshing the scubaboard Gear / Equipment Classifieds tab I keep open in case I see any more good deals on gear.

I guess I should prolly just melt my credit cards now before I hurt myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom