8/10/08 - Lake Travis Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay I found the rates:

HL_pricing.png

Two-Tank Dive (4 hour excursion) $ 40.00
Non-Diver* (4 hour excursion) $ 30.00
Sunset Charter (1 Tank dive) $ 25.00
Private rental (4 hour excursion) $ 275.00
Snorkeling adventure $ 225.00
Thank you XXXXXX (larry) XXXXXX
Your reservation request has been sent You will be contacted by Lake Travis Scuba shortly to confirm your reservation.
If you are not contacted within 2 business days, please contact us at
512-784-5980 or Robert@LakeTravisScuba.com
I'm in. Any chance I can get to dive and meet other local divers sounds like a great time. Woohooo an entire weekend of diving.

I would also add that your operation received high praise from Warren over at Tom's Scuba on burnet rd. That helped me great deal to make up my mind on this one.

Only problem I see is that your release form leaves you exempt from liability for your own negligence. I'm not trying to imply that you are at all even capable of being negligent and as I said in my prior post ... you come well recommended by the LDS's. However, that form just goes too far. I'd happily exempt you from my own negligence, from acts of God, from actions or consequences caused or created by other divers, from the actions of any and all events other than those directly resulting from your deeds ... but if you did somehow do something that resulted in my death or injury neither I nor my family would be able to get compensated after signing this release.

It's just too much of an exemption. Look at the thread on the recent Maldives liveaboard situation. Had that happened here in the states Gundi Holm would have been liable ... unless she had Roman and the other divers sign that release you are requiring. Clearly ... CLEARLY ... that tragedy was the result of faulty training of employees, poor equipment maintenance, and a total lack of regard for the customer. Yet, she would have been exempt from litigation for her total negligence with this form.

I just want to say again that you are well known here in Austin with a solid reputation that allows us all to comfortably expect nothing but top shelf service from you. I am 100% fine with 99% of the release of liability until we get to the specific section that reads:
HOWEVER CAUSED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PRODUCT LIABILITY OR THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, WHETHER PASSIVE OR ACTIVE
However caused ... it just goes too far imho. Because I see PADI plastered all over the top of the form I'm thinking I'll get something like "this is the industry standard form" or "this is what PADI says we should all use" as a response. I'll prolly see this same form every boat I go on in my future vacation dives. The board trolls will prolly even take a few shots at me for being a newb with this post, but still I'm very uncomfortable with that particular section.

You will find this form or a variation of the form is commonly used around the dive industry.

Safety of the diver is very important to me which is why I took the steps to incorporate a O2 kit, AED (which even some of the lake patrol officers do not have aboard their vessels), first aid kit, backboard, surface supplied air, DAN ID tags, and safety sausage/line reel issued to each diver. Unfortunately in todays lawsuit-happy environment one can never be covered enough.

I have no problem signing his waiver, as I believe Robert takes every care to insure my safety when I dive off of Giant Stride, in as much as he has control over that.

It is your call and you must do what you feel comfortable with, but you'll be missing out on some great fun if you choose not to dive with LTS.

I intend to dive with him again later this month (too much going on with campout to join y'all sunday) and try to get my free dive card filled up and turned in before end of season.

Hey, don't you owe me (and a few others) a trip with Lake Travis Scuba from the May 4th trip?!?

Hey are you home today?

I will be at the Texas Association of Broadcasters Convention tomorrow in Austin.

Are you going? If so, call me to bring your shirt, and you can bring my money with interest.

:D

Shawn O'Shea

Probably best not to respond in this thread but while my time with Robert has been limited I would have to say not only is he one of the best operators I have had the pleasure of diving with but he is also one of the nicest guys you could meet.

If after 18+ months and less than 24 dives you are nit-picking liability wording in a boiler-plate release I am wondering if either you really got the point of your first law class or perhaps you are just too In10se for the sport.

Either way if this kind of stuff really affects your daily life and the amount of fun you have doing something, then maybe something without the inherient risks you perceive might better suit you.

As for me, I accept the rewards as far greater than the risk and I accept the responsibility to analyze the risk before going on any dive, whether that risk is the equipment I am diving with, the training I have to successfully complete the dive and the risk associated with the people I dive with. Maybe with more training and experience you will learn how to balance risks and rewards.

In the meantime I have no problems whatsoever diving with Robert and even recommended his entire operation to a guy in OK who is looking to do the same thing on another lake.

Wish I could go on either the LTS Sunday trip or the Campout but I have to usher at a wedding... and have breakfast with grandbaby Saturday morning and then off to CSSP...

I really am not trying to flame you and if you take it that way I apologize in advance but since a Cher/Moonstruck scene is not possible I dont know how to say Snap Out Of It...

Oh and I hope LM doesnt see this

Probably best not to respond in this thread but while my time with Robert has been limited I would have to say not only is he one of the best operators I have had the pleasure of diving with but he is also one of the nicest guys you could meet.

If after 18+ months and less than 24 dives you are nit-picking liability wording in a boiler-plate release I am wondering if either you really got the point of your first law class or perhaps you are just too In10se for the sport.

Either way if this kind of stuff really affects your daily life and the amount of fun you have doing something, then maybe something without the inherient risks you perceive might better suit you.

As for me, I accept the rewards as far greater than the risk and I accept the responsibility to analyze the risk before going on any dive, whether that risk is the equipment I am diving with, the training I have to successfully complete the dive and the risk associated with the people I dive with. Maybe with more training and experience you will learn how to balance risks and rewards.

In the meantime I have no problems whatsoever diving with Robert and even recommended his entire operation to a guy in OK who is looking to do the same thing on another lake.

Wish I could go on either the LTS Sunday trip or the Campout but I have to usher at a wedding... and have breakfast with grandbaby Saturday morning and then off to CSSP...

I really am not trying to flame you and if you take it that way I apologize in advance but since a Cher/Moonstruck scene is not possible I dont know how to say Snap Out Of It...

Oh and I hope LM doesnt see this
Apology not accepted since you were trying to flame me. In my prior post I stated that I expected this from the troll segment of the SB population and you came along in short order to prove me right. Thanks for being predictable. This thread, however, is not the place for me to respond to you in the manor you deserve, so I'll restrain myself.

*** wanders off repeating to himself ***
"Don't feed the trolls don't feed the trolls don't feed the trolls .... "

Spaces are going fast, only two spots remain for Brandon's B-day charter.
Don't scratch me out. If you had not earned the high praise from Warren over at Tom's then I'd be worried about the above mentioned release issues, but you can count me in ... my sniveling not withstanding :D

Back
Top Bottom